Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

View Poll Results: How much do you want to spend?
< $100 11 40.74%
< $150 10 37.04%
< $200 5 18.52%
> $200 1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough
Default CA Custom Pipe 2010

Hey Guys

I want to get the pipe buy going again and I figured I should poll everyone who's interested to make it easier on me than getting 20+ PMs. This poll is going to just be cost based. Reading over the last couple threads it seems most want to go more budget yet a few of us, including me would like to go a little more high end. Let's get this poll done soon so we can get on with the order.

Also please post what maker you would like to go with and post a picture of the design you're thinking about.
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CA Custom Pipe 2010

I'd like to keep it under $100 preferably. Don't know what pipe maker to go with.

Last year's pipe maker Boswell is not doing special orders. Quote from the website "*Attention: We apologize for the inconvenience, but at this time we are unable to take any special orders. "

I'd like to get a pipe in a nose warmer style. The shape etc isnt that big of a deal to me. Boswell has been making some similar style pipes for well under $100 recently.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
I'd like to keep it under $100 preferably. Don't know what pipe maker to go with.

Last year's pipe maker Boswell is not doing special orders. Quote from the website "*Attention: We apologize for the inconvenience, but at this time we are unable to take any special orders. "

I'd like to get a pipe in a nose warmer style. The shape etc isnt that big of a deal to me. Boswell has been making some similar style pipes for well under $100 recently.

I'm not sure if you want us to be putting in our opinions on shape and style, but I really want a nosewarmer, rusticated if possible.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post

I'm not sure if you want us to be putting in our opinions on shape and style, but I really want a nosewarmer, rusticated if possible.
The reason why I'm saying post a design is being I have no clue what the h*ll I'm doing I'm just getting into pipes so I'm a uber-noob.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Well I think the first step, if any would be to find a pipe maker who can handle making 10-20 similar pipes at once. Talk to each see the pricing, for different styles of pipes. How payment would be made to the maker etc.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

I wanted to get the amount of people and the price people are willing to pay before I can get an idea for the amount of pipes we would order before I contacted anyone
Old 10-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

Also at this point I'm looking very hard at American Pipe (Mark Tinsky) to do the pipes... I also think that we can do different levels of the pipes.... If lets say we get a pipe design/size down and some people want to spend less and other people want to spend more and get a more expensive pipe. Differences would be grain quality, silver or gold bands and stuff like that.

Heres the price guide... http://www.amsmoke.com/Index%20Folder/PRICE.html

The one problem I've noticed is pipes are mainly over $100 and most over $150 but I'm going to get in contact with him and see if he can make a little more of a budget pipe for us...

Any other pipe makers you would recommend?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Beklage
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Beklage is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in this so subscribed
Beklage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
Also at this point I'm looking very hard at American Pipe (Mark Tinsky) to do the pipes... I also think that we can do different levels of the pipes.... If lets say we get a pipe design/size down and some people want to spend less and other people want to spend more and get a more expensive pipe. Differences would be grain quality, silver or gold bands and stuff like that.

Heres the price guide... http://www.amsmoke.com/Index%20Folder/PRICE.html

The one problem I've noticed is pipes are mainly over $100 and most over $150 but I'm going to get in contact with him and see if he can make a little more of a budget pipe for us...

Any other pipe makers you would recommend?
Not sure on his pricing, but Jake Hackert is one pipe maker I'd like a pipe from.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Not sure on his pricing, but Jake Hackert is one pipe maker I'd like a pipe from.
I just emailed him and Mark and I'll let you know when I hear back... anyone else with recommendations?
Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

I got an email back from mark and he will be calling me in a few minutes so we can chat about this. I'll let you know how it goes.... Any questions anyone wants me to ask?
Old 10-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

What do you guys think about these for an overall design.....

Pipe #1 on this page: http://www.boswellpipes.com/stubbyno...ergallery.html

Pipe #1 on this page: http://www.boswellpipes.com/Freehands1.html

I'm looking around for a few more design ideas...
Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Yardgnome

I really like this one:
Old 10-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
I really like this one:
Thats one of my favorites too.... I'm currently sketching a design that I think people would like based on that... I'll post it later once i finish it.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

Just a couple notes on the design.... the top part near the opening of the bowl will be rusticated with a little bit flowing down the edge and a black stain on the "band". The body will be a black understain with a deep red-orange topping (I'm feeling a burl grain). The band near the stem junction can either be rusticated like the bowl entrance with the black stain or my pipe will probably be rusticated like the bowl with a thick silver band...

Stem would be up to the guy putting it together so he could decide what works best for the design...

What do you guys think...?

Last edited by CigarGuy88; 10-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

I just thought of another possibilty... Reverse the smooth and rusticated that I just stated... So the 2 "bands" would be a smooth burl grain and the rest would be completely rusticated
Old 10-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
I just thought of another possibilty... Reverse the smooth and rusticated that I just stated... So the 2 "bands" would be a smooth burl grain and the rest would be completely rusticated
I like your first Idea with mostly smooth and a rusticated band at the top.
I don't really like the freehands, but if there was a rusticated rim I could deal with that.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

LGC

Ok I just got a quote from Mark... Based on my design with the rustication on top with mostly smooth body and an endcap instead of a band (adds more to price and metal wont work on tapered stem) would be around $180 + any other niceties people would like to add and fully rusticated with just a smooth top near the opening of the bowl would be around $145...

He also mentioned that it is extremely hard to get a handmade (custom) pipe for under $100. He also recommended going with boswell due to cost restraints but they no longer do special orders as stated above.

It looks like the custom guys that I've looked at so far are well over $100 so I'm not sure what to do if we are primarily looking for sub- $100 pipes...

Still waiting to hear back from Jake but looking at his work it will probably be as expensive unless we went super basic...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #19
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I threw in my vote for numbers. Personally I am not a fan of mixing smooth with any rustication. I like one or the other but that is just me. I am headed to a pipe show in Vegas this month so if we get a good Idea of what we are looking for I can talk to some of the carvers there. My fiancée and I are talking with a pipe maker about a wedding pipe.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #20
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

I really like some of the Boswell Nosewarmer pipes. Looking at the pricing of them, under 100$ would be very reasonable. Maybe a phone call inquiring wouldnt hurt. I wonder what Mark's price would be for a series of nosewarmer pipes with mixed finishes. Usually rusticated runs slight cheaper than smooth finish.