Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
jwillm

Default This is gonna cost me

I know I shouldn't tell you guys this, and I'm gonna have my man card revoked. Last night was "ladies choice" for movie night, and my wife chose Mamma Mia. Dang if I didn't actually enjoy it. I just woke up singing Abba, and wanting to watch it again.
Now, I've always been a fan of musical theater. I grew up loving musicals. My wife and I have been to around 20 Broadway shows...some several times. Every chance I get, I play in the orchestra pit of our local musical programs. I LOVE MUSICALS. Mamma Mia, however, I was holding out on. I really wanted to not like it. There's just something about it that screams, "If you have guy parts, you must hate me!" Well I don't...please tell me I'm not alone.

Now to go watch Braveheart with some beer and wings
Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: This is gonna cost me

Hahah, I'm right there with you bro.

I didn't want to like it. I told myself you should be begging and pleading not to see it.

And then I went and enjoyed it.

Damn.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
jwillm

Haha. Good to know I'm in great company.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Abba??? Hell, I have the Bee Gees on my Ipod.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Know how you'll do anything when you're in a new relationship ? Read on...

So I got dragged to see 'Wicked' - BUT it was on Broadway at the time..So any excuse to go to NYC is good with me. I will preface by saying I spent 2 hours in a tequila bar before the show to ease my pain.
I must say that I appreciate the effort, talent, and skill of both the artists and the behind the scenes people (making props, etc). However - its just not my thing.
After the show as we were on the escalator down, my GF asks "Hey - ya know...I just realized I never asked you: Do you like musicals ???". The older couple behind us laughed so hard the old man nearly fell down the escalator
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, I pick out curtains. It's almost a shame we're both already taken.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Can't do them and avoid them at all costs...I always have an excuse on stand-by...have to work (and if you know me I don't)
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
jwillm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Know how you'll do anything when you're in a new relationship ? Read on...

So I got dragged to see 'Wicked' - BUT it was on Broadway at the time..So any excuse to go to NYC is good with me. I will preface by saying I spent 2 hours in a tequila bar before the show to ease my pain.
I must say that I appreciate the effort, talent, and skill of both the artists and the behind the scenes people (making props, etc). However - its just not my thing.
After the show as we were on the escalator down, my GF asks "Hey - ya know...I just realized I never asked you: Do you like musicals ???". The older couple behind us laughed so hard the old man nearly fell down the escalator
That's hilarious! I actually really love Wicked. We're going to NYC in a week and a half...will see Wicked for the 4th time, Phantom for the 2nd, and the new Spiderman. Pretty excited.

and while we're there, the Davidoff store is on the agenda
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Abba??? Hell, I have the Bee Gees on my Ipod.
Me too, Mac.

Chris.....
Old 05-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

I cant do musical theater, it's like being visually neutered... IMO

Hey, if it works for you so be it...
Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Hahahaaaa

I bought that movie for the Misses and she asked me I wanted to watch it with her and her friend.... I said " ***k no! I hate American Idol and all those other caterwolling singing shows. What makes you think Ima going to watch that?!!??"
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Sherlockholms

Never seen it before, I guess now I am obligated to not watch it in fear I might like it.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I have done a lot of shows in community theaters across the southeast, and by far the best are the musicals.
They are just so freaking HARD to do and fun to perform. You work so hard and build such a great bond.
And me, I smoke a lot of cigars. Not to mention get laid. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a good musical.
Now....Mama MIA?
Ehhh.
I kid, I never saw it. I thought Abba was cool back in the actual day, but they definitely did not grow on me.
But I hear it's a great show.

OH, I just had an urge to post pictures of me in these various shows. I have one from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
that is SO freaking hilarious it ought to be against the law to post it. But I am confident in my manhood.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.....had to get into this one, a girl from work said, YOU HAVE TO, it'll be FUN.
She was blonde and hot. This was in South Alabama, so you know they had a lot of young blondes to
choose from. There must have been 20 in this show. I played a real FOP, and you can see how bad it was,
the guy in this photo is as straight as me, but a better actor, lol.

Second seris is from Dracula, I played Von Helsing, onstage the whole show except for a 1.5 page quick change.
Brutal show, but my best role ever. I showed up late to the tryouts and the director had stated
unequivocally that there we would NOT be doing accents in the Dracula part. So of course, I get up and read
in a crackerjack Bela Lugosi....GREAT, but totally F'ed up. Always come on time, lol. Tried out for the lead,
but I was not handsome and slim like Drac had to be, found out that I DID get the lead, and it was V.H, lol.
Forgive me, I just shot these pics with a camera on my keyboard in dim light, but they are plenty scary no matter.

Want BAD LUCK?? We had to have Dracula break a mirror every night, in an effort to have me NOT see that I could
not see him in the mirror. He would shoot a flash paper shot out of his sleeve and the mirror would be broken back
stage with a large pointed steel bolt On this night, he made his flourish, fire shot out and then nothing for 10 secs.....
Then crack. The audience BUSTED out laughing, as we both stood there as if to say "WAIT for IT!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gentprefblondes1.jpg (44.0 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg gentprefblondes2.jpg (43.2 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg drac1.jpg (89.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg drac2.jpg (54.1 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by OLS; 05-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote