Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Cedar Wardrobe Cabinet Humi conversion..need advice

So here is the description:

ORIGINAL FINISH, CEDAR LINED, GREAT FOR STORAGE, ROUGHLY 6 1/2' TALL X 48" W X 24" D, GOOD CONDITION CONSIDERING THE AGE.

So I am thinking this would make one hell of a humi cabinet...I have aked the question to the person selling what type of cedar it has in it (I know I can't use aromatic). Do you think this would be a nightmare to seal up properly? What would you use to seal it? I would much rather drop the coin on the cigars than a super expensive cabinet....if I could get the cabinet to work. Would you use a MoistNAire unit? What are the other options to convert such a piece?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabinet.jpg (6.7 KB, 240 views)
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Cedar Wardrobe Cabinet Humi conversion..need advice

You could poly it, then use some spanish to line it a bit. Weatherstripping is cheap. If it is relatively solid, and the joinery doesn't move much, you can seal the existing (probably aromatic) cedar with something that will provide a moisture/odor barrier, then maybe silicone the joints where movement is likely to occur. This would give you a "shell" to work with that shouldn't leak much humidity. Then to the seal on the door. Some rare earth magnets, coupled with adjusting the door for a tight fit and some thin open cel foam might do the trick.
Of course I haven't tackled something like that before, but it sounds like a good plan.
It sure would be a pretty humi when done.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

That looks sweet!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Have you personally looked at the cabinet? I had the same idea, but every cabinet I looked at had huge gaps in the doors and would never seal correctly. I decided it was going to be easier to build a cabinet from scratch rather than spend time trying to make someting else work. If the door seals fairly well and you can't remove the aromatic cedar, I would say seal it with clear poly (the more coats the better) and then line it with spanish cedar. The only down fall to not removing the aromatic cedar is that you will never be able to seal all four sides and the two ends, so I would be afraid some of the smell would still come through.

Last edited by groogs; 01-21-2010 at 12:27 PM.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

No, I gotta see it first. Hopefully it doesn't have huge gaps. Thanks for the insite guys!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote