Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #21
cigar coach
It's Football Season 365

First Name: Shad
Trading: (0)
cigar coach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorites

I have also only been smoking cigars for about two years and had the same question a few months in. What I settled on was trying a lot of different things and keeping a notebook with a review of everything new that I try. I find this keeps me from forgetting if I had this or that previously. It also reminds me of my initial impressions of the cigar so I don't buy something for a second time that I really disliked the first time out. The Premiums are usually pretty good but the one that gets a lot of press that I can't seem to find a vintage that I like at all is Gurkha. I have settled on a regular rotation of:

Rocky Patel Sungrown
Torano Exodus Silver
Oliva Serie G and Serie O (G is a bit too full bodied for me)
Hoyo De Monterry (various vintages - like them all)
Don Tomas Maduro
Cuesta Rey Cento Fina 55 (these are as full bodied as I
tend to like)
Ashton (various vintages - like them all)
Arturo Fuente (various vintages - like them all)
Gispert
La Gloria Cubana
Perdomo Habano (strong to my palate like the CR-55)

Hope this helps.
cigar coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #22
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Morning Greg,
You probably already know my answer but I have a few I always go to but I'm willing to try new cigars. Go to are party shorts, Boli PCs, du roi, du prince, RS 12s.

If you want to try some that you haven't yet PM me...
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #23
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
Yep, I've been thinking the same thing.

When you're a newbie you get in the habit of trying anything
and everything. After a few years it's hard to break the habit.

In 3 years, I've narrowed my field to about 5000 of the 10,000
different smokes! LOL
(and the bastids keep coming out with new ones)

Chemyst
I'm with you except I'm only a couple of years into it if that. I do wish I could trim down a bunch of my singles though.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #24
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I have been smoking cigars for about two years now. I have not settled on a particular cigar that is the one I crave yet. Although I certainly have some that I love, I am still really just wanting to try as many different kinds as I can. Just wondering how many are still like that or do the majority of botls settle on three or four particualar cigars that you stick with. With there being 80 gazillion to choose from I don't see me just sticking with a few. Thoughts or comments please.
The way I see it cigars are more lie food than drink in that a person will typically get the same drink all the time its what they like, they know it, sure from time to time they may venture out to some other things or even straight up change. But they will stick with something. With food you get tired of the same thing over and over. Now you may have the same 20 things over and over. But even after time certain things you didn't like before are all of a sudden good and old stand bys not so much.

At least with most people that's what I've seen.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #25
servo24601

Like you, I have only been smoking cigars for about 2 1/2 years and have only narrowed down my choices a little. I normally smoke the $5.00 and under crowd, except if you happen to catch specials, etc. Although of course I have tried many higher priced cigars, these are the ones I can afford to stock in my coolidor (you know, marriage and stuff).

The couple I really like are : Padilla Obsidian (I think my favorite), Rocky Patel Sungrown, CAO MX2, Gurkah Black Puro, Partagas Black, and Punch Champion.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, testing is always in progress and the results can change at any time.

Cliff
Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #26
tunes
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (3)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
tunes is on a distinguished road

I’ve been smoking for roughly 6 years and still bounce around. I’m still a Arturo Fuente Hemmingway fan as well as Opus & GOF’s but I do like to try different sticks.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #27
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

Taste changes, but I always enjoy these:

Ashton San Cristobal
RP Olde World Reserve
Hemingway maduro
Gurkha Ancient Warrior

Chemyst
Chemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #28
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycarla View Post

In the 2 years I have been smoking I have come from Maduro's 52RG and higher, to now 1 out of 10 is a Maduro and anything over 46RG is also rare.

Tastes have changed and even monthly I seem to want something different .
haha I'm wondering if this is a common conversion. I used to have the exact same preference. Now I have trouble finding any maduros that I enjoy and my preferred ring gauge is 38-44.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #29
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

In general, I do have a certain group that I try to always have in stock:

Padron Anni - the 64 Principe is a great 45 - 60 minute smoke that never lets down and the 26 a couple times a month

Tabbies - I am on kind of a custom rolled kick now but can not justify more than one a month

LGC - small gauge delicacy

Monties and Parties - 6 of one / half dozen of the other

Taboo - for me as a value smoke it is hard to beat

I am always up for trying new things but have found that I am not as attracted to the devil site, ci and some of the others for the simple reason that although it may seem like a great "deal" if I were to hold off on one or two of these "deals" I can get a box of one of the above...

We all have different tastes. It is valid to say Rockies are your favorite, it was for me for a while and then I swore off of them until I tried the Winter cigar he put out last year, I really liked it and will probably buy some more.

As others have said, it is a journey, enjoy the journey and as the old adage goes around here - "smoke what you like and like what you smoke..."
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote