Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough
Default Viaje Skull and Bones 'Daisy Cutter'

***It's been a while, had a long crazy semester working at an accounting firm, but should be back regularly soon! Missed you guys! Figured I'd come back with a review peace offering

A while back when these were released (since, there have been 3 new vitolas in the S&B line) I picked up some of these limited release Viajes with the intention of doing a 'new stick' type of review. I ended up forgetting about them for a while (always a good thing with cigars) and figured I would do a 'Where are they now?' review. I'm looking forward to seeing what the stick, released as a powerhouse of nicotine in a small package, has turned into after almost a year of humidor time.

Pre-light - This small vitola has a rich chocolate wrapper with a very smooth feel. The pre-light draw provides a bit of tug and some mild sweetness.

First Third -The cigar starts with some sweet wood, a bit of cedary spice, raw tobacco, and a dry, smokey (as in food) flavor. Drawing is not an issue in tug or feel, despite it's girth, and the smoke is fairly dense. As it progresses, some coffee like creaminess enters. Despite the heavy nature of the flavors and the imminent strength of the stick, I wouldn't say it is the least bit overpowering, something one might expect. Definitely not full full-bodied in the first third, more like medium+

Second Third - This third find the flavors mellowing into a complex, creamy fusion of leather, wood and cedar. Construction is still great, as with most Viajes I have found, as the ash held over an inch before I clumsily dropped in on my white shirt. It could just be the massive hunk of delicious cow I ate for dinner, or the humi time, but I'm honestly not feeling a huge nic-kick thus far... Not that that has any bearing on the quality of the cigar.

Third Third - I must say the progression in this cigar is awesome. It has finally hit full-bodied, and not just with a tap- the strength here is pretty apparent. The flavors in the last third come out of their shell a bit from the last third, but remain fairly consistent, though there are a bit more spice and tobacco notes. The last whole third is so rich and complex I wish it had been longer!

Conclusion and Score - Granted I haven't been smoking much lately because I've been crazy busy, so anything would be at least somewhat enjoyable, but this cigar was absolutely phenomenal. The flavor profile was rich, complex, and full, while the construction was perfect. While it was a strong little stick later on, it wasn't the beast I was expecting. But nicotine bomb or not, no question this was a great cigar and worth 93 points in my book.

PS I remember Brooks from SmokingStogie.com saying that this stick and the similarly sized/strength Tatuaje T110 (which I reviewed a while back, one of the few sticks I hoard) were totally different, and he was spot on.

aj

PS more pics on my blog
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Viaje Skull and Bones 'Daisy Cutter'

I really want to try one of these! I have a few of the second release sitting in the humi, but I'm pretty sure they were completely different blends.

Great review!
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Thanks for the review
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Nice Review On One Of My Favorites!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn fine review AJ!! Great stick indeed.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Awesome review
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Duke9192

That's a really good cigar. I was lucky enough to be able to pick up a box last year. Still one of my favorite "special occasion" cigars to smoke.
To anyone thinking of trying this cigar, my suggestion to you is "absolutely enjoy" if you can lay your hands on one.