Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough
Default NYC questions

I've got a few quick questions for the NY area folks. I'll be traveling up to the city a few times a month for work and wanted to get some info on recommended cigar lounges, B&Ms, etc.
It looks like Merchants on the East side has one of the better reputations out there, am I wrong in that?

Also, I understand there is a recent law in place that bans smoking in public parks. Other than going to a lounge to smoke, how can I enjoy a stick after work before hopping back on the train?

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. I should mention I'll be there for a full week later in June if anyone wants to meet up.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: NYC questions

I was there last Christmas and stopped by BarClay Rex. They had a smoking lounge and a great selection (For the price). Other than that I saw guys smoking cigars on the street sitting on steps or just leaning against a bldg.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Definitely make it a point to stop in to Martinez Cigars which is a couple blocks from Penn Station. Great guys in there and they will make you feel at home for sure. Be sure to leave yourself enough time to go in and smoke one and hang out. Last time I went back home to NY for business I stopped in for what I figured would be an hour turned into five. They only sell what they roll in house but their cigars are top notch. Definitely give the Flatiron a shot.
You also have to hit De La Concha as that's a terrific shop with a great selection. You also have Barclay Rex, Davidoff although I would avoid the 5th Ave location and go to the one in Columbus Circle. Fifth Avenue location are top notch snobs in my opinion. There's also Cigar Inn and Nat Sherman that are very good stores. Just be prepared for sticker shock as cigar prices are steep due to the disgusting tax on tobacco.
Where will you be staying? If out on the Island than I may have a few more suggestions for ya.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

Partagas

Thanks Jake and John, I'm taking notes.

I did read some great stuff about De La Concha. Also, Circa Tabak looks pretty cool but it's pretty far downtown to hit on one of my day trips. The week I'm there I hope to be able to explore a bit more in depth.

I'm not sure where I'll be staying yet, my boss may be doing the booking so I'll have to update when I find out. Most likely I will be midtown Manhattan to be close to the job.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

If you are in Midtown, you can visit JRs on 5th Avenue and Nat Sherman's just east of 5th. If you feel like an "upscale" evening, visit Club Macanudo off 5th in the mid-60s . . . no jeans or sneakers allowed. Then there is this useful tip:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfe.../show/id/16528
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

Partagas

With 2 day trips down, I've hit the Barclay Rex and Nat Sherman stores on 42nd st. I wasn't blown away by Barclay Rex as there wasn't anything I couldn't find much cheaper at home @ Cross St Tobacco (those guys kick ass by the way if you're ever in Baltimore).

The Nat Sherman store was surprisingly enjoyable. Granted, I was dressed for work, I was a bit apprehensive as I've heard numerous complaints about the elitism of some of the guys working the upscale shops. Happily, I was dead wrong. The gentlemen were quite welcoming and helpful and since the location is close to where I'll be staying over the next week or so, I do plan to come back and actually burn one.

Heading back up tomorrow until Friday then Mon- Thurs of next week which will allow me some time to explore a bit more and sit and smoke. I'll be on E 42nd at the Westin but have a concrete plan to check out Circa Tabac at least one night. I'm thinking I'll save the ultra-upscale places for when I have a bit more disposable income.

Martinez Cigars is definite ly on my list as well. I'll aim to hit that spot Friday while killing time before the train home for the weekend. The reviews I'm finding look great and I'm excited to get some fresh hand rolled sticks to bring back home. Thanks again for the input all *cheers*
Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
warpedcigars
Warehouse Smoking

Trading: (11)
warpedcigars is on a distinguished road

Cigar Inn on Second Ave (btwn 53rd and 54th), I frequented that alot (as I lived on 81st btwn 2nd and 3rd).

My suggestion, grab a smoke, and go for a walk!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I was able to smoke in the front of an Italian restaurant on Aurthor Ave in the Bronx. There's a plaza inside near by where they roll cigars and Aurthor Ave is a must visit either way. Don't go on a Sunday, everything is closed.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

Partagas

Holy Smokes, Martinez is a great spot. Pretty small but friendly guys and wonderful smokes. Cheap too considering the location.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer View Post
Holy Smokes, Martinez is a great spot. Pretty small but friendly guys and wonderful smokes. Cheap too considering the location.
Had a feeling they would treat ya right.