Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation
Default Re: You could have heard a pin drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBI_2 View Post
Biggest clue that the pic was photoshppoed is the U.S. flag is facing the wrong direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
You beat me to it.
you both are wrong, stars LTW
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #42
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
but Fred, doesn't this picture show that it is definately not a one way street? And IMO there is a difference in the stories you posted which are not bashing the army but in:
Story one - The policits of the Bush administration
Story two - The politics of the Bush administration
Story three - The arrogance of a French officer
Story four - An elderly man who didn't have his paperwork ready when going tru customs

but the statement on the picture is disrespect to the non American soldiers that are dying out there. What further fuels my rage about this picture is the fact that yes, thanks to the Americans (and Brits, Canadians, Australians & Maroccan) armed forces WWII ended and there has always been a great deal of respect and appriciation towards those troops. Now foreign troops are helping America out in two wars (I see Iraq and Afghanistan as two seperated wars) and we got shown disrespect in this way (I know not every is disrespecting the allied forces, I am just talking about this picture and the photoshopper who made it).
Just an observation.....
Hotreds clarified who the three countries listed are.
Are those countries in fact helping out as you state and did we miss something?
Remember, the photo does not illustrate the front of the United Nations with all the flags of the world. It specifically addresses three nations and I believe Hotreds has it right.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #43
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.

http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagetiq.html

(this was copird and pasted everyone else please feel free to do it too}
Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #44
Diesel Kinevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
"Discussing" the French is a time honored tradition.
Thats what I was thinking

Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #45
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
but Fred, doesn't this picture show that it is definately not a one way street? And IMO there is a difference in the stories you posted which are not bashing the army but in:
Story one - The policits of the Bush administration
Story two - The politics of the Bush administration
Story three - The arrogance of a French officer
Story four - An elderly man who didn't have his paperwork ready when going tru customs

but the statement on the picture is disrespect to the non American soldiers that are dying out there. What further fuels my rage about this picture is the fact that yes, thanks to the Americans (and Brits, Canadians, Australians & Maroccan) armed forces WWII ended and there has always been a great deal of respect and appriciation towards those troops. Now foreign troops are helping America out in two wars (I see Iraq and Afghanistan as two seperated wars) and we got shown disrespect in this way (I know not every is disrespecting the allied forces, I am just talking about this picture and the photoshopper who made it).

Don, perhaps I missed it, but where on that soldiers uniform was there the flag of a nation that was involved in the middle east wars. I see the French flag, the German flag, and the Russian flag.

No where on this thread have I seen any criticism of our allies in the middle east wars... and certainly not the Dutch.

I intend no disrespect, by why are you so infuriated by this photograph?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #46
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Freedom Fries, anyone?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #47
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Just an observation.....
Hotreds clarified who the three countries listed are.
Are those countries in fact helping out as you state and did we miss something?
Remember, the photo does not illustrate the front of the United Nations with all the flags of the world. It specifically addresses three nations and I believe Hotreds has it right.
then still "doing the job for" ........... who started the war on Iraq for false reasons? Who trained and armed the mudjahedin/taliban? Indeed: America, so why should other countries clean up the mess that the Reagan/Bush administration and the George W Bush administration made?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #48
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
then still "doing the job for" ........... who started the war on Iraq for false reasons? Who trained and armed the mudjahedin/taliban? Indeed: America, so why should other countries clean up the mess that the Reagan/Bush administration and the George W Bush administration made?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #49
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the Dutch mission in Afghanistan and I think it is good that we do everything we can to help out a friendly nation.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #50
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I would hate to see it deleted because of it turning into a political rant.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #51
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

So ... to throw another monkey wrench into the discussion: does anybody know if these stories are in fact, true? They sound like typical internet-forward glurge to me. (Glurge is a term I first heard at the snopes.com urban legend site to describe those heartwarming, chicken-soup-for-the-soul kind of stories) The lack of specifics re: dates of these supposed conversations, and no specific names of the non-Americans leads me to believe that these likely were not actual conversations. Also, the tone of the speakers does not seem very "diplomat-like."

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for our troops, and those of other countries. I just feel that there is no need to glurge-ify the stories. The facts speak strongly enough.

The facts I consider important:

There are many American troops in the Middle East right now.
Many of them are doing dangerous work in horrible conditions.
They should be respected for the job they are doing, even if you disagree with the politicians who are making them do that job.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #52
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
So ... to throw another monkey wrench into the discussion: does anybody know if these stories are in fact, true? They sound like typical internet-forward glurge to me. (Glurge is a term I first heard at the snopes.com urban legend site to describe those heartwarming, chicken-soup-for-the-soul kind of stories) The lack of specifics re: dates of these supposed conversations, and no specific names of the non-Americans leads me to believe that these likely were not actual conversations. Also, the tone of the speakers does not seem very "diplomat-like."

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for our troops, and those of other countries. I just feel that there is no need to glurge-ify the stories. The facts speak strongly enough.

They should be respected for the job they are doing, even if you disagree with the politicians who are making them do that job.
IMHO they are false in detail, but true in meaning.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #53
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post

To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.

http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagetiq.html

(this was copird and pasted everyone else please feel free to do it too}
Thanks Perry. I stand corrected sir.

I hate to say it , but anyone who doesn't see the connection between Afghanistan and Iraq in the war against Islamo-fascism needs to get a better understanding of this conflict and its roots.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #54
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Thanks Perry. I stand corrected sir.

I hate to say it , but anyone who doesn't see the connection between Afghanistan and Iraq in the war against Islamo-fascism needs to get a better understanding of this conflict and its roots.
you are welcome, also I just saw yet another word I butchered
Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #55
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I would hate to see it deleted because of it turning into a political rant.
I have full confidence in the group of 11, if things go bad I am sure they will edit or delete postings.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #56
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post

I do respect them and I even call some soldiers my friends (JK5, Tobii, Skills, ICBJ, BigBruce, Tabb, Jason), they are only doing their job and following orders..
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #57
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:

and I hate to say this, but anyone still believing that the invasion of Iraq wasn't based on 'getting back for daddy' feelings and oil politics needs to get a better understanding of the facts.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #58
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Who trained and armed the mudjahedin/taliban? Indeed: America [SNIP]the Reagan/Bush administration
How soon the world has forgotten the Cold War and the need to break the Soviet threat.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #59
nozero

Thumbs up Re: You could have heard a pin drop.

I receved that in an email a while back as well. Great read! Thanks for posting!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #60
kdog

Awesome Post man, God bless America

Closed Thread