Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #101
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
1. We're in the midst of Mardi Gras also. That being said, the crowd you saw on Bourbon Street last night looked heavier than what we normally see during the weekend before the big party on Mardi Gras day..
Yep, that crowd would be lucky to be like that the weekend BEFORE MG.
Anyway, I'll let you know, cause it is the week of my annual pilgramage back home for the Luling Parade.
I never end up taking Mon and Tue off, but returning home for the MG weekend really helps me
take the edge off the rest of the year and tolerate being an expatriate in a town fool of hoodlums.
And I learned decades ago, Bourbon St. is fine 350 days a year, but it's an idiot that ventures down
in the weeks before Mardi Gras. I had a girlfriend from Denton TX in town with me on the weekend before MG
and she said she wanted to go to the FQ. I begged her not to make me do it, and standing in line for PatO's
she was lifted off her feet by the crush. She panicked and wanted to go. In te next second a guy tried to
cut in line ahead of us and a guy hit him so hard across the back of the head, he fell face first and hit the
pavement, splitting his skull wide open. Never again.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #102
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Seems like I got my own page here... SORRY.

A guy just came in and said, I KNEW the Saints were going to win, and I said, "No, now hold on here...you
told me that you were PULLING for the Saints, but that you thought the Colts would win. That makes you
a person who thought the COLTS were going to win. It's like Woodstock, 5 million people said they were there
but the attendance was more like 5-800,000. Thank goodness VEGAS keeps em honest. If you were "pulling"
for the Saints, but put MONEY on the Colts, you LOST. Haha.
That's for all you who didn't look at it intellectually and sentimentally.
The Saints have a ton of really good players, the Colts have one GREAT player and one Great player on a gimpy leg.
Much as I love my LA homeboys, Reggie Wayne ain't Reggie Wayne no more.
After Dallas Clark caught about 5 balls in a row, I knew we had it in the bag. But to tell you the truth, I never
doubted for a second after the Cardinals win. Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Jeremy Shockey,
Marcus Colston, Lance Moore, an awakened Robert Meachem, Devery Freaking Henderson's speedy-a$$.
And that's just the offense. Our D was banged up the final third of the season. They were ALL back in shape
for the SBowl. How you gonna bet AGAINST THAT?

Last edited by OLS; 02-09-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #103
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post

A guy just came in and said, I KNEW the Saints were going to win, and I said, "No, now hold on here...you
told me that you were PULLING for the Saints, but that you thought the Colts would win. That makes you
a person who thought the COLTS were going to win. It's like Woodstock, 5 million people said they were there
but the attendance was more like 5-800,000. Thank goodness VEGAS keeps em honest. If you were "pulling"
The Saints have a ton of really good players, the Colts have one GREAT player and one Great player on a gimpy leg.
After Dallas Clark caught about 5 balls in a row, I knew we had it in the bag. But to tell you the truth, I never
doubted for a second after the Cardinals win. Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Jeremy Shockey,
Marcus Colston, Lance Moore, an awakened Robert Meachem, Devery Freaking Henderson's speedy-a$$.
And that's just the offense. Our D was banged up the final third of the season. They were ALL back in shape
I was absolutely certain the Saints would lose. They were doing everything they could till Garcon stepped up and missed two easy 3rd down for first down catches.
That's why they play the game though, my brother.
I was hoping they'd work out their differences and not have to play, but alas.
Check out the coverage of the failed peace treaty at The Onion.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #104
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post

I was absolutely sure the Saints would be WORLD CHAMPIONS because I live 32 miles from the Superdome and I looked at things like strength of schedule and how each team won all the games that they did. The Saints played a more difficult schedule and played hard against the good teams to pull out wins. Sure there were some close calls and some losses but if going undefeated was easy there would be more than two teams to have done it. And I believe that if our "D" starters wouldn't have been in bad shape in December that the Cowboys wouldn't have won (they won by only 7 pts and that wasn't a beating). The Tampa and Carolina games were throw aways so that the starters wouldn't get hurt - and we still lost one player to injured reserve.

Here's something else that Colts fans can believe in. This wasn't the last Superbowl for Manning and company. The Colts are still too good to miss the playoffs.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #105
OLS
Suck It

Haha, yep, Pappy, you are right. I am indignant this week, and you know why, having lived it, too. These few excerpts from Bobby Hebert's blog sort of sum it up for me.

I'm so emotionally spent.

When the game was all over, I cried like a damn baby. This meant so much to me. I'm talking on the Saints Spanish network, I couldn't even talk, I was so choked up. I was like, come on, you've got to keep your composure. I couldn't keep my composure... THE FREAKING SAINTS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!

My eyes are so red right now I look like a damn vampire. I'm just getting choked up again talking to about it, because HELL YEAH the Saints are going to the SUPER BOWL! All the stress and anxiety we've had over the years... We're going to Miami, and NOBODY can take that away from us!

Realistically you have to pinch yourself and say, "Whoa, they are going to the Super Bowl!" Its not like they are trying to get there, or will have to wait until next year, because we have the right team or the right leaders... No, they actually went out there and accomplished it. That's what is so special. But I think as part of the fan base, we're so excited that we're going to the Super Bowl. But as a player, once you get there, you want to win it. No matter what level - high school, college, or professional - when you have an opportunity to win a championship, that's what you want to achieve. So as players, they know it's not finished.

I lived a life few NFL fans can even comprehend, with my lifetime of Saints loyalty. I was born 5 years before the Saints, and for a kid with Saints footie pajamas and Saints stickers all over my door, and a Manning jersey, and an autographed Manning "FREY MEATS" photo, you live and breathe the Saints even though they suck. When something like this happens, you still cannot comprehend how decades of idiotic drafts and poor decisions and bad coaches and bad owners and bad seasons can somehow right itself. But Sean Payton came in and got rid of bad players, good players with bad attitudes and players with bad contracts, and turned a 7th round pick into the most productive receiver in the NFL, and kept players who would agree to let him show them how to win and be successful.

I love Peyton Manning, I am proud of him and proud of Eli. I think the Colts are fantastic. But this season, I KNEW that ALL OF THAT would still not be enough to get them by the Saints.

Last edited by OLS; 02-09-2010 at 12:59 PM.