Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NFL Pro Bowl vs. MLB All-Star Game?

According to wiki: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Bowl )

The 2010 Pro Bowl will be played at Sun Life Stadium, the home stadium of the Miami Dolphins and host site of Super Bowl XLIV, on January 31, the first time ever that the Pro Bowl is held before the championship game, and the teams are not to include players from the teams that will be playing in the Super Bowl.

I would think that because the Pro Bowl has traditionally come AFTER the end of both the season and the championship game that many people think of it kind of like they think of spring training or international league baseball games - an interesting diversion but nothing to get crazy about. Baseball's AllStar Game comes in the middle of the season so maybe it's just a matter of when it's scheduled.

Now, I realize football has a shorter season with a LOT fewer games so scheduling the Pro Bowl in the middle of the season is probably not possible. Dunno, that's just my two cents.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #22
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I would think that because the Pro Bowl has traditionally come AFTER the end of both the season and the championship game that many people think of it kind of like they think of spring training or international league baseball games - an interesting diversion but nothing to get crazy about. Baseball's AllStar Game comes in the middle of the season so maybe it's just a matter of when it's scheduled.
I was thinking that timing had a bit to do with it. I guess we'll see when the ratings go up, down, or remain the same this weekend.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I don't think it had anything to do with your opinion about the Pro Bowl.
I think he was giving you $hit because you didn't bother to read anyone else's opinion but made sure to post yours.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #24
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

They are talking about this on ESPN right now. 31 of the selected players are not playing including 5 of the 6 QBs.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
They are talking about this on ESPN right now. 31 of the selected players are not playing including 5 of the 6 QBs.

5 of 6?
Two teams but only one QB? Maybe the NFC will have call Jake Delhomme.
Or the AFC might have to call Jamarcus Russell.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Exactly my point.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #27
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

All the all star games are as entertaing as the players make it to be. The NFL players don't care about the pro bowl. It's a vacation for them and their families. Granted most players get a bonus for appearing but they aren't going to risk injury. The Pro Bowl bottom line is just not a competitive game.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #28
BryanB
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (58)
VR
BryanB has a spectacular aura aboutBryanB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post

5 of 6?
Two teams but only one QB? Maybe the NFC will have call Jake Delhomme.
Or the AFC might have to call Jamarcus Russell.
thats funny.

The All-star game has a HR contest. NBA has a dunk contest. The Pro Bowl is just a game. NFL has tried the skills contest and not alot of excitement. Football is a sport that's not interesting w/out something to play for.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #29
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I think they get $35k for the game.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #30
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
All the all star games are as entertaing as the players make it to be. The NFL players don't care about the pro bowl. It's a vacation for them and their families. Granted most players get a bonus for appearing but they aren't going to risk injury. The Pro Bowl bottom line is just not a competitive game.
Many baseball players use the All-Star break as a vacation as well. Mickey Mantle once said he hated getting picked for the All-Star game b/c he lost his vacation time in the middle of the year. But most (if not all) of the baseball players show up when they're picked.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #31
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Many baseball players use the All-Star break as a vacation as well. Mickey Mantle once said he hated getting picked for the All-Star game b/c he lost his vacation time in the middle of the year. But most (if not all) of the baseball players show up when they're picked.
In baseball even the pitchers picked but who can't play because of their spot in the rotation still at least show up and take part in the whole experience. You also see a big family experience at the All-Star game during the HR Derby with the players sitting on the grass with thier kids watching the competition.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #32
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

Both games have no value. I have long been puzzled by all the media attention that MLB's All Star game gets. The interesting thing is that both leagues understand this. How else to explain this year's change for the Pro Bowl and the institution a couple of years ago of home field advantage in the World Series being decided by the All Star Game than the leagues' trying desperately to give some meaning to otherwise meaningless exibitions?

As usual it's all about the money. Any way to scam a few more bucks from the TV networks and fans.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #33
acruce
Just killing Time

Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Pro bowl should be played before the Super Bowl
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #34
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think they get $35k for the game.
For the game. Most get a nice check of about $500,000 for being elected to it.