Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Excuse me while I throw up a little bit....

Quote:
Free-agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury has reached agreement on a seven-year contract with the New York Yankees pending a physical exam, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

According to multiple reports, the deal will pay Ellsbury $153 million over seven years and includes an option for an eighth year that could increase the overall value of the contract to $169 million. Ellsbury's deal exceeds Carl Crawford's seven-year, $142 million contract with the Boston Red Sox in December 2010.
He must be signing and wanting to go to a winning team, obviously has nothing to do with money.

I actually thought he was headed to Seattle, even that would be better than this. May he follow J. Damon's career path in NY.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Excuse me while I throw up a little bit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
He must be signing and wanting to go to a winning team, obviously has nothing to do with money.

I actually thought he was headed to Seattle, even that would be better than this. May he follow J. Damon's career path in NY.
Jealousy is a wasted emotion.
-- KCannon
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another long term deal that won't pan out. Also guarantees Granderson's exit outta town.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Well the Yankees are saying they are still in the hunt for their big players, but I don't see it, I think they are done overspending, hit's gotten them nothing lately, they also might be thinking they can get out of what they owe arod.

All of that aside, the Red Sox have some big time prospects waiting to come up and one of them is going to be their CF of the future, which is the only reason to let Dreamboat go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Jealousy is a wasted emotion.
-- KCannon
Not jealous at all, I'm more disappointed he would take the money with a team with huge holes to fill over a team on the verge of breaking out, I was actually expecting him to head to Seattle, I figured he was gone, time to bring up the prospect.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

There goes the repeat.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

The Yankees are the only team dumb enough to pay that much money for a guy that has had one all star caliber year. He is going to be making more than Ortiz and Pedroia combined this year. Guess the Yanks didn't want to improve that pitching staff....
Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
May he follow J. Damon's career path in NY.
I'm with you!
I can't wait for him to win a championship with the Yanks just like Damon did!

As for the comments about the Yankees being done spending, I don't think so.
Their current rotation consists of CC and Ivan Nova. That's it.
There isn't anybody on the roster, that's healthy, that could even compete for one of the final 3 spots. So expect some more moves from them.

While I'm happy to see Adam is nauseated by this , truth be told, I don't like the signing.
I don't have a problem with the player, it's more the contract I don't like. I'd prefer to have Granderson back, for less years and less money.
But you know what? If years 5,6,7 are a complete and total bust, and we don't get anything out of him late, I'll let Hal and Cashman deal with that.
It's not my money. And with the way the Yankee economic machine works, if the deal brings the Yanks around, and puts them back on the road to a possible championship, I don't think either of them will lose a minutes sleep over the backend of the contract.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The Yanks have the cash to make bad moves if they want.
That said, now that Arod is gone, some bench clearing may be in order to change the attitude in the clubhouse.
Maybe a new skipper, too.
Every time I watched them last year it looked like every ball player in that dugout had a lawn rake up their ass. How could anyone be in such misery playing baseball? I mean, really?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The Yanks have the cash to make bad moves if they want.
That said, now that Arod is gone, some bench clearing may be in order to change the attitude in the clubhouse.
Maybe a new skipper, too.
Every time I watched them last year it looked like every ball player in that dugout had a lawn rake up their ass. How could anyone be in such misery playing baseball? I mean, really?
Couldn't agree more!

As for the contract....well that's just typical Yankee BS, trying to buy more titles but honestly you cannot blame the player, never blame a player for getting as much cash as they possibly can!

P.S. - I hate the Yankees!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
AdamJoshua

Yesterday, because we lost both Els and Salty (Granted one we figured would leave, one we didn't really want back all that much), we were given two number one draft picks (the Marlins and a supplemental first rounder from MLB as the Yankees had already given theirs to Atlanta for McCann.). We have a twenty-two year old replacement in Jackie Bradley, Jr., who will play center field for us for at least the next six years during his prime. Our two best positional prospects are both catchers (although we are ranked second by Baseball America in farm systems because of the amount of pitching depth we have in the minors). The irony is that most baseball fans will react by saying "the rich got richer here," meaning the Yankees, when it is actually the Red Sox, who always draft well, who now have three first round picks in what is perhaps the deepest draft in seven years in 2014, and who come into that draft with an incredibly stocked farm system already.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yesterday, because we lost both Els and Salty (Granted one we figured would leave, one we didn't really want back all that much), we were given two number one draft picks (the Marlins and a supplemental first rounder from MLB as the Yankees had already given theirs to Atlanta for McCann.). We have a twenty-two year old replacement in Jackie Bradley, Jr., who will play center field for us for at least the next six years during his prime. Our two best positional prospects are both catchers (although we are ranked second by Baseball America in farm systems because of the amount of pitching depth we have in the minors). The irony is that most baseball fans will react by saying "the rich got richer here," meaning the Yankees, when it is actually the Red Sox, who always draft well, who now have three first round picks in what is perhaps the deepest draft in seven years in 2014, and who come into that draft with an incredibly stocked farm system already.

Agreed...but is JB Jr ready for prime time?...thought Salt handeled the staff well...growing pains with a new catcher is inevitable...the ghost of "The Boss" lives on...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Who will be the first guy A.J. punches?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

One local TV sports guy here referred to him as "The Ellsbury Dough Boy". Caught me off guard and gave me a pretty good laugh.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

What a great deal for the sox, yanks get burdened with a seven year 20 million a year contract to add to their team of over priced broken down circus ponys...and the sox get one of their draft picks

Ells will have two or three years and be done?

Who in their right mind pays that kind of money for a fragile as glass base stealer, must be George from the grave?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
What a great deal for the sox, yanks get burdened with a seven year 20 million a year contract to add to their team of over priced broken down circus ponys...and the sox get one of their draft picks

Ells will have two or three years and be done?

Who in their right mind pays that kind of money for a fragile as glass base stealer, must be George from the grave?
Theo a couple years ago with Crawford...we know how that turned out....
Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Theo a couple years ago with Crawford...we know how that turned out....
Theo fvcked the red sox and blew out of town sticking the team with a lot of bad and high dollar contracts, still, STILL amazed Ben C. was able to dump over 1/4 billion dollars off on the Dodgers....thank you Magic!

Right or wrong 'Salty' through poor play was directly involved with the Sox losing two world series games, that and his wanting large dollars were his ticket out of town, hell the games themselves were pretty much his ticket out of town, Ross proved he was just as adept at handling the staff... and the pitchers as well
Old 12-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Excuse me while I throw up a little bit....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYlDbv7MqE8

Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Excuse me while I throw up a little bit....
Or....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCtqHT6Kimk

Old 12-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
AdamJoshua

I refuse to look at those for a variety of reasons.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I refuse to look at those for a variety of reasons.
You will actually get a kick out of them.