Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Who has a Vinturi aerator? Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
No one made an accusation, IMO. Besides, its not you in the video, at least I hope it is not

If you pay attention to those videos that do claim to be "blind" you will see that there is nothing "blind" about the process, the device sits up front and center and they are told what to "sense" upfront.

Next time anyone wants to "soften up" a bottle of young wine, just shake it violently for a few seconds before popping the cork. That is, if you don't have a $1 funnel on hand. Not glamorous, but...
LOL, I know little to nothing about wine, much less be part of the oldest winery in London. So no it's not me. My study and experimentation lies within tasting and flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I was talking about the video Wayne, not you or anything you did.

I can't speak for what Moses was looking for in terms of discussion, but as far as I'm concerned, that video was not a valid discussion, it was a sales video infomercial. It even had the company logo in the corner the whole time. And, it definitely wasn't a double-blind testing.
Yeah, I was also discussing the video. Logo or not, the guy said something to the effect of if you don't have 2 hours to let it breathe, then it works well. So I understood that to mean that in their opinion, 2 hours of natural breathing is the same as the Vinturi. So then, you could save money over any device if you simply plan ahead or have patience.

Have either of you tried this device? And if not, who's opinion would convince you that it works likes it claims?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Yeah, I was also discussing the video. Logo or not, the guy said something to the effect of if you don't have 2 hours to let it breathe, then it works well. So I understood that to mean that in their opinion, 2 hours of natural breathing is the same as the Vinturi. So then, you could save money over any device if you simply plan ahead or have patience.
I have no doubt that they aerate the wine and I've never questioned that, and, if I read his posts correctly, neither has Greg. I don't care about the 2 hour claim as I have yet to ever time a bottle of wine after opening.

Where I feel the video falls flat into outrageous infomercial-esque claims and where I would want to see a double-blind controlled test and not the word of two paid pitchmen before I believe it would be the claims beginning at 1:40 where they start claiming that the product just turned a whatever cost bottle into a wine that would cost 50% more, and it just goes on from there.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
LOL, I know little to nothing about wine, much less be part of the oldest winery in London. So no it's not me. My study and experimentation lies within tasting and flavor.

Have either of you tried this device? And if not, who's opinion would convince you that it works likes it claims?
2 hours in a decanter, with a really wide surface area to air exposure cannot be simulated by Vinturi/funnel, they will help somewhat, but nowhere near what a decanter does.

I once popped a bottle of a young Napa red after asking the winemaker how long to decant. DECANT, as in a real decanter. He said, 3 DAYS. I thought he's joking and called to ask his assistant. Same answer. I still thought its crazy to decant a wine for 3 days and did for just 26 HOURS. The wine was still very tight and whatever remains were there tasted better the next day, still in a decanter and one can only imagine how much air exposure by then. Most wines would be oxidized and vinegar by then. Point is that funnel, Vinturi, whatever will not substitute for a good, old fashioned aging process or decanter.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #24
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Point is that funnel, Vinturi, whatever will not substitute for a good, old fashioned aging process or decanter.
There is something to "time" that I doubt any device can replace, but is not say there is no value in a Vinturi. Most people do not decant white wine, so I bet it is a good complement to that at a minimum.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #25
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Personal taste is what really matters and even the experts, which I'm not have, a wide range of opinions on aeration and decanting. There are some people that prefer the pop and pour taste of wine where the young fruitiness is really noticeable, while others like it to smooth out. I have also read that when a wine is well aged, you don't want it to open up too much as it is ready to drink and can lose some of it's taste as it opens up. For me, I find that these aerators can help open up a younger inexpensive wine and make it more enjoyable when the wife asks me to open a bottle for dinner that is almost on the table.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Most people do not decant white wine, so I bet it is a good complement to that at a minimum.
I have yet to meet anyone who decants a white wine. Is this a Right Coast thing?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
Personal taste is what really matters and even the experts, which I'm not have, a wide range of opinions on aeration and decanting. There are some people that prefer the pop and pour taste of wine where the young fruitiness is really noticeable, while others like it to smooth out. I have also read that when a wine is well aged, you don't want it to open up too much as it is ready to drink and can lose some of it's taste as it opens up. For me, I find that these aerators can help open up a younger inexpensive wine and make it more enjoyable when the wife asks me to open a bottle for dinner that is almost on the table.

Yup...I like it, it works.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
There is no argument that aeration helps young red wines, at least I don't think anyone in the thread argues that. Its the tools used and if anyone is happy with Vinturi, then great, no issues. For those who do not have it and want to experiment with the process I simply recommended they do so with a cheap and similar tool, funnel. Actually, a better tool, IMO, since it allows for better aeration. If they like the result and want to buy Vinturi, then great. Simply pouring wine into a decanter/jar for 1-2 hour prior to consumption also works. Winners all around. Vinturi is not the only solution...

Older wines, aged ones where the process of aeration/oxidation has already taken place in the bottle with time, will quickly oxidize once exposed to air. Main reason it is not really recommended one decants an old wine, better technique is to leave it standing upright for 2-3 days prior to consumption to let the sediment settle on the bottom and then handle the bottle gently (as little shaking and movement as possible) when popping the cork and pouring.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #29
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have yet to meet anyone who decants a white wine. Is this a Right Coast thing?
What? You don't decant your Chevalier-Montrachet's or Meursault's? You know, they are just an everyday drinker to me.

I do decant (into a chilled decanter) fine Champagne. Makes a world of difference.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #30
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Typically, bottles should be opened and decanted young to old and drank old to young. I do decant older wines, but they are being served (or initally tasted) right away.

If the wine falls apart in the decanter within an hour, it's was already doomed. A friend of mine has a case of 80's CA Cab that is pop and pour. First taste is like a mature wine, 20 minutes later it's vinegar. He'll serve the whole bottle right away and it's like "drink drink"!
Old 12-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #31
Teanbore6
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Teanbore6 is on a distinguished road

The Vinturi wine aerator is a 6"-tall device that looks a little like a funnel and is meant to speed up the process of decanting. To use it, pour wine through the Vinturi into your glass, and watch the device take advantage of Bernoulli's Principal, which states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure within it decreases.
Some of questions is answer on this guide :
https://advancedmixology.com/blogs/art-of-mixology/best-wine-aerator .

Some questions that you need to know is
Which wines do not need aeration?
At what temperature is it best to aerate the wine?
Teanbore6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanbore6 View Post
The Vinturi wine aerator is a 6"-tall device that looks a little like a funnel and is meant to speed up the process of decanting. To use it, pour wine through the Vinturi into your glass, and watch the device take advantage of Bernoulli's Principal, which states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure within it decreases.
Some of questions is answer on this guide :
https://advancedmixology.com/blogs/art-of-mixology/best-wine-aerator .

Some questions that you need to know is
Which wines do not need aeration?
At what temperature is it best to aerate the wine?
My instinct is to ban you for being a spammer....but your info is quite relevant to this topic (although maybe 9 years late), so I'm gonna wait and see what shakes out.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #33
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
My instinct is to ban you for being a spammer....but your info is quite relevant to this topic (although maybe 9 years late), so I'm gonna wait and see what shakes out.
In the immortal words of CoolHand Luke...."Still shakin' it here boss"....
Old 12-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #34
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I have an hilarious response I'm going to post in 2029.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #35
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
In the immortal words of CoolHand Luke...."Still shakin' it here boss"....
No failure to communicate here!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote