Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #101
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Buying a new laptop- Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDcyODk
$1699 MacBook Pro:
15" screen
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4.0 GB RAM
250 GB SATA Hard Drive 5400RPM
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Video Card = Specs not listed

OR

http://www.salescircular.com/mi/computer/laptpp.shtml (@ Office Max)
$449 Toshiba Satellite L505-S5998
15.6-in. Widescreen
Intel Pentium T4300 processor (2 Cores @ 2.1 GHz)
4.0 GB RAM
320GB SATA Hard Drive 5400RPM
LabelFlash DVD +-RW drive
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
802.11B/G/N WLAN.
Webcam, Microphone.
Windows 7 Home Premium

+

$102.50 Mac OS X 10.5
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Leopard-OS-X...item2ea9eaf2be

Total = $551.50 vs $1699
Although I'm sure it's fun to do stuff like this, it's also quite crazy, and is (usually) intentionally biased. Do you really think these are equivalent machines? Hint: they are not.

Anytime somebody asks a "Mac or PC" question, people trot out the same old lines. The absolute best advice is to speak with somebody who actually knows about, has current experience with, and uses both Mac and Windows PCs. Otherwise it's just people quoting the same crap that they've read elsewhere.

As for price differences, the key thing to know is that Apple simply does not have a "low end" laptop, and does not play in that segment of the market. So it's easy to find a cheapo Windows laptop and compare it, but you'd be much more informed by a true comparison of similarly priced laptops. Yes, Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc. do actually sell similarly priced machines, with the level of components and sophistication as the Mac laptops. But it's not as much fun to do a true Apples to apples comparison.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #102
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
But it's not as much fun to do a true Apples to apples comparison.
Pun intended.

You make some great points.
I happen to use a PC laptop for work (HP), I have a desktop PC I still use, and I have my MacBook.
I am not a one side only person at all.
Given I use all three regularly, I am confident when I say I love my Mac any day over a PC.

Best of all.......................................

This message was posted without any fear of viruses and without utilizing any anti virus software.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #103
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Found an article that contained this and I thought it truly sums it up for me.

most PC users use PCs because they have to, while Mac users use Mac because they want to.

That statement truly says it all.

Here is the rest of the article.
Interesting reading, even if one doesn't agree.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/101-und...tter-than-pcs/

Another one.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=115151

There are similarly plenty of these by PC users but will leave it to the other side to find.

Last edited by Blueface; 12-18-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #104
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

[quote=Blueface;685717]Found an article that contained this and I thought it truly sums it up for me.

most PC users use PCs because they have to, while Mac users use Mac because they want to.

Agreed. Well put.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #105
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The absolute best advice is to speak with somebody who actually knows about, has current experience with, and uses both Mac and Windows PCs.
Agreed, and owning both, and using both on a daily basis, i could give my pc up, but i wouldn't give my mac up.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #106
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Although I'm sure it's fun to do stuff like this, it's also quite crazy, and is (usually) intentionally biased. Do you really think these are equivalent machines? Hint: they are not.

Anytime somebody asks a "Mac or PC" question, people trot out the same old lines. The absolute best advice is to speak with somebody who actually knows about, has current experience with, and uses both Mac and Windows PCs. Otherwise it's just people quoting the same crap that they've read elsewhere.

As for price differences, the key thing to know is that Apple simply does not have a "low end" laptop, and does not play in that segment of the market. So it's easy to find a cheapo Windows laptop and compare it, but you'd be much more informed by a true comparison of similarly priced laptops. Yes, Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc. do actually sell similarly priced machines, with the level of components and sophistication as the Mac laptops. But it's not as much fun to do a true Apples to apples comparison.
I can take a hint...I get that I'm coming across a little heavy handed and biased. I'm just trying to get the point across that just because it has an Apple on it doesn't mean it was made better. If you like the OS fine use it. I'm just saying don't bother to pay 3 times the price for the hardware. The laptops I quoted aren't 100% identical, but they are 95% the same. The only real difference is the CPU and the outer plastic bezels. Use the money you save and buy 7 or 8 boxes of good cigars.

Some people believe that buying a certain name brand is worth paying a little extra. I would say that often I agree. This however is not one of those circumstances. I've taken apart Macs and PCs. I know they buy the same hardware from the same vendors and put them in their laptops. Years ago that wasn't the case. Apple used SCSI hard drives and RISC based CPUs. Both of which were superior to the IDE hard drives and x86 CPUs that PCs were using. However Apple dropped SCSI a long time ago and dropped RISC based CPUs about 3 years ago to adopt Intel x86 based CPUs. Since they have done that there is no real difference between Apple and PC hardware. Hence there is no real justification for them to charge 3 times the price.

I'm not trying to be rude by my repeated posts. I have worked in computers for about 15 years and I'm trying to help shed some light on the subject.

Last edited by 357; 12-19-2009 at 11:48 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #107
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I might not buy a laptop for another year just so this can keep going I love it!

Everyone is providing some great info. It is a tough decision either way but then again it isn't like the decision is forever. A few years down the road I can get something else
Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #108
Red

mac owns!
it will run as good as it did on day one in five years
Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #109
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The only real difference is the CPU and the outer plastic bezels.
the mac has an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M which even if integrated is still far superior to the intel graphics media accelerator.

The bottom line and the most important 2 points is that the OP said price was not an issue, and he isn't a fan of windows.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #110
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDcyODk
$1699 MacBook Pro:
15" screen
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4.0 GB RAM
250 GB SATA Hard Drive 5400RPM
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Video Card = Specs not listed

OR

http://www.salescircular.com/mi/computer/laptpp.shtml (@ Office Max)
$449 Toshiba Satellite L505-S5998
15.6-in. Widescreen
Intel Pentium T4300 processor (2 Cores @ 2.1 GHz)
4.0 GB RAM
320GB SATA Hard Drive 5400RPM
LabelFlash DVD +-RW drive
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
802.11B/G/N WLAN.
Webcam, Microphone.
Windows 7 Home Premium

+

$102.50 Mac OS X 10.5
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Leopard-OS-X...item2ea9eaf2be

Total = $551.50 vs $1699

right....

FYI That's a GeForce 9400 in the Mac versus the Integrated Intel chipset.. and you're comparing an inferior CPU with 1/4 the L2 cache to that of the Mac's and also a reduced clock speed.

Give me a flipping break.

This is not even mentioning the unibody construction compared to that of the flimsy plastic frames of cheaper laptops. I don't get a satisfaction in hearing the lid of my laptop creak under stress as I open it.

You're running out of points. And your comparison to the business world means absolutely nothing to a person using a laptop for personal use. And even if it was transitioned over. Guess what. Install windows Vista or 7 on it and call it a day.

Boils down to personal preference. I will never own a Desktop Mac, but right now I see nothing better on the market than a Macbook. Thus I use a Windows/RHEL PC and a Macbook Pro with OS X/Win 7.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #111
Red

same as with cigars...cheap cigars are cheap and dissapointing...good cigars are more money and awesome
Old 12-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #112
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

As someone who does run a quote/unquote "hackintosh" I would love to know the method to get OS X running on any off the shelf laptop, such as the $449.99 Toshiba satellite, that gets all of the components working, including the wireless card, audio I/O, etc that a regular end user can do. (besides netbooks)
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #113
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
As someone who does run a quote/unquote "hackintosh" I would love to know the method to get OS X running on any off the shelf laptop, such as the $449.99 Toshiba satellite, that gets all of the components working, including the wireless card, audio I/O, etc that a regular end user can do. (besides netbooks)
I was kinda curious about that myself...
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #114
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Did I mention I love my MacBook?
Did I mention I am posting this from my iPhone?
Gotta run. Going to video some stuff with my IPod Nano with video camera.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #115
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
same as with cigars...cheap cigars are cheap and dissapointing...good cigars are more money and awesome
disagreed says the party short :P
Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #116
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post

right....

FYI That's a GeForce 9400 in the Mac versus the Integrated Intel chipset.. and you're comparing an inferior CPU with 1/4 the L2 cache to that of the Mac's and also a reduced clock speed.

Give me a flipping break.

This is not even mentioning the unibody construction compared to that of the flimsy plastic frames of cheaper laptops. I don't get a satisfaction in hearing the lid of my laptop creak under stress as I open it.

You're running out of points. And your comparison to the business world means absolutely nothing to a person using a laptop for personal use. And even if it was transitioned over. Guess what. Install windows Vista or 7 on it and call it a day.

Boils down to personal preference. I will never own a Desktop Mac, but right now I see nothing better on the market than a Macbook. Thus I use a Windows/RHEL PC and a Macbook Pro with OS X/Win 7.

Actually you can get identical specs + Blu-Ray for $1099 made by Lenovo (Formely IBM's laptop/desktop division) and save $600.

IdeaPad Y550
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz SODIMM Memory (2 Dimms)
nVidia Geforce G 210M graphic card with 512MB memory (your post didn't list video memory)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Bluetooth
15.6" HD WLED with 1.3M integrated Camera
250GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
Blu-ray/DVD-ROM Combo
Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel WiFi Link 5100 1x2 (AGN) WLAN
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium-Ion 2.6Ah

OR

You can smoke the Apple's specs this HP for $1424 and still save almost $300

HP DV6T
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB) QUAD CORE
6.0 GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection (Prevents fall damage)
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
Intel Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Heck for $300 to $600 you can enjoy a lot of fine cigars while marvelling at the MacBook owners shiny aluminum shell. With all that leftover money you might even be able to buy a laptop bag with some padding incase you drop your "inferior" plastic laptop. Although you may just opt to refrain from dropping it.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #117
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

it's not all about hardware, the guy didn't say he's looking for an insane computer to produce and render movies. He also said price isn't an issue. He also said he doesn't like windows. Sounds to me like he's already made the right choice. Mac
Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #118
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Heck for $300 to $600 you can enjoy a lot of fine cigars while marvelling at the MacBook owners shiny aluminum shell. With all that leftover money you might even be able to buy a laptop bag with some padding incase you drop your "inferior" plastic laptop. Although you may just opt to refrain from dropping it.
Sure, but in the end, you can still only dream of really owning a Mac.
Sort of like when I use to use condoms. Sure the lambskin costs more. Sure the latex will get job done with plenty of money left over for cigars. However, you just can't beat the feeling of that lambskin. (actually, you can. Snip and it is taken care of).
Old 12-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #119
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Actually you can get identical specs + Blu-Ray for $1099 made by Lenovo (Formely IBM's laptop/desktop division) and save $600.

IdeaPad Y550
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz SODIMM Memory (2 Dimms)
nVidia Geforce G 210M graphic card with 512MB memory (your post didn't list video memory)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Bluetooth
15.6" HD WLED with 1.3M integrated Camera
250GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
Blu-ray/DVD-ROM Combo
Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel WiFi Link 5100 1x2 (AGN) WLAN
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium-Ion 2.6Ah

OR

You can smoke the Apple's specs this HP for $1424 and still save almost $300

HP DV6T
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB) QUAD CORE
6.0 GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection (Prevents fall damage)
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
Intel Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Don't forget your antivirus subscription and internet "security" At least now you are talking about things that are comparable. I was struggling with comparing a sub-$500 machine to a MacBook Pro.

I wouldn't argue that there is some price premium paid for a difference in "it just works" kind of quality, and the ease of use and tight integration of things like iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, etc.

Certainly a judgement call on the value of that, but again, you are now making a more reasonable comparison for somebody who is genuinely looking for advice. I use both types of machines on a daily basis (they sit side-by-side on my desk), and I would never, ever recommend Windoze over Mac OS.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #120
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Sure, but in the end, you can still only dream of really owning a Mac.
Sort of like when I use to use condoms. Sure the lambskin costs more. Sure the latex will get job done with plenty of money left over for cigars. However, you just can't beat the feeling of that lambskin. (actually, you can. Snip and it is taken care of).
Wow, this is a direction I never saw this thread taking. Yikes!!