Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #41
promethius

Default Re: iPhone Cigar App ... need beta testers

Ken, so far so good. cigar list needs some adding, the 1926 40th and 80th are missing. Also the GOF line is absent. Loving this so far! I should have more soon.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #42
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy3 View Post
To start:

Notes delete if you try to edit. Can only be several charachters.
This one is now fixed as well. It now presents a larger text area to enter multiple lines of notes (even scrolls for very long entries). I'll include this in beta 2 as well...

Keep the feedback coming!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #43
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethius View Post
Ken, so far so good. cigar list needs some adding, the 1926 40th and 80th are missing. Also the GOF line is absent. Loving this so far! I should have more soon.
The trick to building out the database is to get somebody willing to update the web site that I started to collect info last december for all the cigar info. I pull data from that site to populate the default database for the iPhone native app. At the moment, the app doesn't automatically connect to get updates, so I have to do that as part of the app release process.

Let me know what cigars are needed, and I'll see if I can get my son to add some of 'em.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #44
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Ken,

Just about to download the app and add it to my phone. Safari warns me that the download is coming from a suspected phishing site. Any idea why I get that warning?
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #45
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Ken,

Just about to download the app and add it to my phone. Safari warns me that the download is coming from a suspected phishing site. Any idea why I get that warning?
"download"? I emailed the app to you; you should not need to download anything. If, however, you are using webmail of some flavor then maybe Safari suspects that site? Seems odd to me.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #46
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba

Weird right? The zip file doesn't give the warning, however after safari virus scans the actual file, says it's clear and I click download it goes to the warning page. Didn't make sense to me either. This is just on the Mobile_Stogie_Beta_Profile.mobileprovision (8KB) file.

I will restart and see if that fixes the issue.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #47
RolinRandy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (6)
Army (Served With Honor)
RolinRandy is on a distinguished road

Ken, Will you let us know when we can get this app offline?
RR

Maybe post a new thread when you are done testing.
RolinRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #48
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Weird right? The zip file doesn't give the warning, however after safari virus scans the actual file, says it's clear and I click download it goes to the warning page. Didn't make sense to me either. This is just on the Mobile_Stogie_Beta_Profile.mobileprovision (8KB) file.

I will restart and see if that fixes the issue.
Make sure that you are downloading the file to your desktop, rather than trying to "open" the file.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #49
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolinRandy View Post
Ken, Will you let us know when we can get this app offline?
RR

Maybe post a new thread when you are done testing.
Yup
Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #50
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

v2 of your app could be

- click cigar and it will load up current online prices of the top 5 online sellers.
(charge if a vendor wants to be part of top5/top10??)
- click cigar and get reviews of the cigar
- click cigar and locate nearest cigar shop!

Your app is wicked cool!
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #51
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba

Ken,

It's definitely a glitch in my macbook, maybe with safari 4 beta. It does it for any app in my webmail. I haven't downloaded in safari 4 yet, so who knows.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #52
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchariya View Post
v2 of your app could be

- click cigar and it will load up current online prices of the top 5 online sellers.
(charge if a vendor wants to be part of top5/top10??)
- click cigar and get reviews of the cigar
- click cigar and locate nearest cigar shop!

Your app is wicked cool!
Thanks for the ideas. I've been toying with jumping from the app to web related information, based on currently selected cigar. I like your ideas, and they aren't as difficult to implement as I once thought.

We'll see how much interest there is in version 1 before I get too far ahead of myself though
Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #53
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Ken,

It's definitely a glitch in my macbook, maybe with safari 4 beta. It does it for any app in my webmail. I haven't downloaded in safari 4 yet, so who knows.
are you using Yahoo web mail? If so, perhaps you could try firefox to see if that resolves it. Installing firefox on a macbook is very straightforward and non-intrusive.

Everybody else seems to be able to download and install the app, so I think it's on your end, sorry to say.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #54
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

I don't have an iphone currently, but this app is very cool Ken. Thanks for taking the time to make it
Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #55
promethius

Ken,
First I gotta say this app rocks! I have added the Padron 40's and 80's under the padron 1926 section, worked great. I have had it crash a couple times, however I can never seem to reproduce it. Once, while adding a new cigar to a humidor, and the second time while editing the quantity before selecting the humidor. This said I have done this over 50 times while adding additional cigars/humidors and not reproduced it. One thought while in the add cigar page, is it possible to modify all settings, humidor, quantity, etc without saving each time, and just doing one final save? Finally the Rocky Patel list is very slim, missing the edge, 1990,92 etc. I know this is minor just updating. At any rate, I can't wait for my next B&M trip with this which brings up one last thing. When adding cigars to your humidor, or wish list maybe a msrp field would be good so you know when shopping around what prices are and what the msrp is? A price paid may also be nice to track cc and non cc alike as prices flucuate between stores? Thanks again, this app is great!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #56
promethius

Got one more, Would be nice when editing the humidor list or wish list if you could actually edit the names, etc seems currently you can only delete when selecting edit.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #57
promethius

Ok, sorry one more. From cigar reference, you can add a cigar, click brand, scroll through and add the pertinent information. My suggestion would be to allow this from inside the cigar brand, IE if I go into Rocky Patel, see that the Edge is missing, it would be nice to add it from that screen, rather then backing out. Currently the edit only allows deleting of existing cigars.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #58
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Ken,
First I gotta say this app rocks! I have added the Padron 40's and 80's under the padron 1926 section, worked great. I have had it crash a couple times, however I can never seem to reproduce it. Once, while adding a new cigar to a humidor, and the second time while editing the quantity before selecting the humidor. This said I have done this over 50 times while adding additional cigars/humidors and not reproduced it. One thought while in the add cigar page, is it possible to modify all settings, humidor, quantity, etc without saving each time, and just doing one final save? Finally the Rocky Patel list is very slim, missing the edge, 1990,92 etc. I know this is minor just updating. At any rate, I can't wait for my next B&M trip with this which brings up one last thing. When adding cigars to your humidor, or wish list maybe a msrp field would be good so you know when shopping around what prices are and what the msrp is? A price paid may also be nice to track cc and non cc alike as prices flucuate between stores? Thanks again, this app is great!
The good news is that the crashing behavior you describe is consistent with what I already knew about, and is fixed for the next beta release.

Also, regarding the "modify all settings, humidor, quantity, etc without saving each time, and just doing one final save" question, that is also already done for adding new cigars to your humidor. However, when editing a cigar that is already in the humidor, then each field will save independently (likely will be far fewer fields being changed). So, I think I have this one covered as well for beta 2.

The bad news is that you've added a lot of cigars to your personal database, but (during the beta process), those will be overwritten by the new beta code. I need to get those added to the default database as well.

I'll PM you with an idea of how I can get the data from your iPhone to leverage the work you've already done...

Finally, the price suggestion sounds good, but I'm wondering if you have specific ideas of where it should be implemented? I fear this could be complex to populate, but maybe just provide a place if the user wants to add pricing?

Thanks for the testing!!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #59
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Got one more, Would be nice when editing the humidor list or wish list if you could actually edit the names, etc seems currently you can only delete when selecting edit.
believe it or not, this might be a little compicated to code. One workaround in the meantime is to add a new humidor with the new name, then "delete" the existing humidor, and you'll be offered the chance to move the existing cigars to another humidor. Select the newly added one, and you'll have essentially renamed your humidor. Can you test that for me?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #60
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Ok, sorry one more. From cigar reference, you can add a cigar, click brand, scroll through and add the pertinent information. My suggestion would be to allow this from inside the cigar brand, IE if I go into Rocky Patel, see that the Edge is missing, it would be nice to add it from that screen, rather then backing out. Currently the edit only allows deleting of existing cigars.
This is the one that my son consistently tells me too. I need to figure out where to put the "Add" button on that screen. The edit button is already in the most obvious spot. I'll look into it though, as I agree it would be good to have it there.