Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough
Default Hops

Potting up a couple of cascades and chinooks this evening to get ready for planting this May. I have a cascade that has not produced much in it's first two years. Anyone have any tips that might have me doing better with this batch? Really hoping to be able to brew some beers with my own hops in the next few years.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hops

I'd love to grow my own, but renting houses isn't really ideal for that. Good luck on yours!
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Renting sure isn't, especially considering it may take two years to even get a decent harvest.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I've got Cascades & Nugget going into their third year, but have had nothing harvested since planting. Lots of bine growth until about September, but no flowers at all. My local store owner suggested two things to me: fertilizer and lots of water. I haven't fertilized since transplanting them and I've just let nature take its course when it comes to irrigation--which could be a big part of the problem: the past two summers have been very dry. So I'm fixing that this year. So far my plants are about 8" tall and growing quite well, especially since it's been so wet this year. I'll try to post up some pictures later.

One last thing: my plants get about 6-8 hours of sunlight each day--this is about the minimum recommended. If you can get better exposure, you'll probably do better. Would love to hear your experiences.

Any one else have hops plants with different (better?!) luck?

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
I'd love to grow my own, but renting houses isn't really ideal for that. Good luck on yours!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Renting sure isn't, especially considering it may take two years to even get a decent harvest.
Here you go: http://www.byo.com/component/resourc...-in-containers

It's another thing you have to move with you, but hey you're growing your own hops.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Kaiser it sounds like you are having the same luck I am. I have tried to get some tips out of the folks at our local homebrew shop but they are anything but helpful if only I had other options. About the only thing she told me was she got cones in the first year wheres the kick in the nuts emoticon

My soil is very sandy, I planted with a bunch of manure and good organic matter but havent gotten much other than a 7 or 8' vine. I plan to fertilize the heck out of the cascades this year, and continue to do so with the chinooks that I have starting in pots now.

8" already, must be warm where you are.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
Here you go: http://www.byo.com/component/resourc...-in-containers

It's another thing you have to move with you, but hey you're growing your own hops.
Yea I considered that, but I might as well just keep buying my hops in bulk.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote