Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Home Window Tinting?

Has anyone had their home windows tinted? I have western facing home (I think I have the term right) I get the morning sun in the bedroom windows and then the afternoon sun in the living room. I was hoping to get anyone's experience with it especially long term.

I know some of the positives are less fading of furniture and flooring along with making it harder to see in. One major negative I can see is that once it gets night, I won't really be able to see squat outside.

I'm mainly concerned with the possibility of killing house plants, I don't know if the tinting will affect them by blocking out the sun. The plants have been in the family forever and I don't really want to be the one to kill them.

Thanks!
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Home Window Tinting?

I have mine tinted and love it. The rooms run about 10 degrees cooler and the AC doesn't work as hard. I would recommend using the tinted security film. It hold up much better and can take a beating. Seeing out the windows at night is not near as bad as you think. As for the plants, just go with a lighter tint, don't black them out.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I've never heard of this. Is this just regular car tint or do you have to purchase it from a specialty store?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

At my old house, I got the cheapo peel and stick type stuff and it helped. I eventually with with blackout shades in that room because the glare was still too bad on my TV in that room.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I've never heard of this. Is this just regular car tint or do you have to purchase it from a specialty store?
I had a friend do mine. Check with Lowes or Home Depot. If the don't have it do an online search. It goes on like regular tint.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._Window_Films/
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

Home window tint film can be bought at home improvement stores and I am not sure the difference between it and car tint.

I have used it on my last house on the windows that faced west. I used the 90% stuff and had a good experience with it. I have since used solar screen on my current house and certainly prefer the exterior look of the screens to the film. But I think that both products do a very good job of keeping the heat out.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

My friend's parent's have it on the family room because it faces West and there was glare on the TV. They don't have it darkest but just enough when the sun comes in it cuts down on the light. There are places that will come in and do it.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefft72 View Post
Home window tint film can be bought at home improvement stores and I am not sure the difference between it and car tint.

I have used it on my last house on the windows that faced west. I used the 90% stuff and had a good experience with it. I have since used solar screen on my current house and certainly prefer the exterior look of the screens to the film. But I think that both products do a very good job of keeping the heat out.
Security tint is thicker and has a stronger adhesive. I use it because of the hurricanes here in Florida. Also check with your homeowners insurance and electric company. I got a $150 credit from my electric company and a discount on insurance.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I had mirrored security tint on a sliding glass door as kid and birds use to hit the window all the time. They see "a rival" in the reflection and go for the attack...
Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Put in Gila window tint in my front room. It definitely helped with the sun super-heating that room. You can't see in the window from the outside during the day (kind of creates an almost two-way mirror type situation). During the day and night though you can see out it just fine. No idea about how it affects plants.

And if you buy this, don't be a cheapskate like me and buy the kit. I did the second half of the project with the kit and it was SO much easier.

Also, follow the directions exactly and have somebody to help you. Much easier with four hands as opposed to two.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Very similar.
Just on a bigger scale.
Unlike autos, reflective is more common than not.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Put in Gila window tint in my front room. It definitely helped with the sun super-heating that room. You can't see in the window from the outside during the day (kind of creates an almost two-way mirror type situation). During the day and night though you can see out it just fine. No idea about how it affects plants.

And if you buy this, don't be a cheapskate like me and buy the kit. I did the second half of the project with the kit and it was SO much easier.

Also, follow the directions exactly and have somebody to help you. Much easier with four hands as opposed to two.
I found the same brand at Lowes! It cuts down the heat in my upstairs bedroom!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
[b]I found the same brand at Lowes! It cuts down the heat in my upstairs bedroom![/B]

I thought that was your woman's job.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
No, thats a cold shower.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

I don't think you would be with a light tint.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
No, thats a cold shower.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

i need some tint for my garage door, good timing to read this thread, hehe..im still contemplating frosting (or light tint). i only wanted it for privacy, not really heat savings or anything
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I had mirrored security tint on a sliding glass door as kid and birds use to hit the window all the time. They see "a rival" in the reflection and go for the attack...