Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Tiny Tim

Default Monte Pascoal Double Corona

Full blog post here: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/2011...le-corona.html

Video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqBqr02R0Oo

Brazilian puro using Mata Fina and Mata Norte tobacco.

The test draw was a bit firm. The first flavors were raw almonds. I gave the cigar some time to settle in.

About an inch in the ash was tight with alternating black and white ash. The cigar is still very much one of raw almonds. The cigar had earthy flavors; nuts and wood. The finish was one of almonds.

About 3 inches in the cigar made a change. There are now some light vanilla and cinnamon notes. The finish has light vanilla notes mixed with the almonds. The pepper is subtle but nice.

At almost the midpoint the vanilla developed a richness. This was a nice improvement. The vanilla took the lead in flavors followed by the cinnamon and then almonds.

Just past the midpoint the cigar has reached a new high. The vanilla has good richness followed by the cinnamon and almonds. The finish is long with a vanilla flavor. The pepper is still nice.

With about an inch left the cigar was still consistent. The cigar sums up with almond notes in the beginning transitioning to one of rich vanilla and cinnamon. The finish went from almonds in the beginning to a mix of vanilla and almonds. The pepper was nice on the draw and on the finish.

The cigar was nice but not exactly one that I typically reach for. I wish Monte Pascoal much luck with their venture into the U.S. market.

Score: 87
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Monte Pascoal Double Corona

Nice review. i have smoked a few of the torpedos which i really like. i have been told they are a bit better than the DC. They are a nice chane of pace and pretty cheap.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Tiny Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra03 View Post
Nice review. i have smoked a few of the torpedos which i really like. i have been told they are a bit better than the DC. They are a nice chane of pace and pretty cheap.
I actually had a torp a week or so ago and didn't review it but I should have. It WAS better than the DC's. Oh well.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have enjoyed a few torpedos as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Tiny Tim

I sent my review to the Monte Pascoal home office, which is typical when I do reviews, and they wrote back that there different vitolas all have different blends! So, this would explain why I liked the belicosos better than the double coronas. I will do a review of the belicosos (torpedos) and see how the reviews compare.