Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Tour de France 2010

Go Team Radio Shack.....

Though I am REALLY hoping Armstrong can win, I think it may be more than his legs can handle.... Though his Tour de Suisse showed well, because I honestly believe he held back..... Anyway, GO LANCE ARMSTORNG!!!!

If Armstrong cannot win....and cannot pull Klöden or Leipheimer to the win....which would be second best to a LA win, I guess I'll take Andy Schleck.

Anyway, starts Saturday....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tour de France 2010

I'm afraid Contador will win again, don't like the guy a bit. Hopefully Lance can put him in his place.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I'm afraid Contador will win again, don't like the guy a bit. Hopefully Lance can put him in his place.
Would love to see Lance win another. I believe it will be a longtime before we see another great cyclist like him. If we ever see one like him again.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Contador or Andy Schleck would be my picks. The real story would be if Basso can pull a double like Pantani did.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

I'm voting for someone to run Contador into the ditch.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you also think that Armstrong was holding back at the Tour de Suisse. Contrador and Vinokourov will probably have some issues similar to what Contrador and Armstrong went through last year at the tour. I'm rooting for Radio Shack and could go with Kloden and Leipheimer as well as Lance. You can't forget the Schleck brothers with Frank just winning the Tour de Suisse over Lance.

The question I have is what are Lance and Bruyneel planning? Only a couple more days before my production at works drops off for a couple of 3 weeks.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Crazy finish with all the wrecks at the end today.... I had it TiVo'd & it ended about 2 minutes after the finish....no idea if anyone actually was injured....
Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

The official site is, of course, http://www.letour.fr/indexus.html for the English speakers
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Anyone know a good tour analysis site? Five six years ago there was a guy who did a blog/website that talked in depth about the team strategy and chess game going on beyond what any of the main sites are doing. He would predict who would make a break and points on the stage to expect activity and why and then do a post race breakdown about what actually happened and he was dead on a lot. I really enjoy the tour regardless but it I would like to know more about what is actually going on.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Tuesday's stage will be a big deal with the cobbles. So far, it's about keepin the team intact and leader's safe. The cobbles will fracture the peleton into groups and it's anyone's guess who (of the leaders) will come out ahead and unscathed.

I'd expect many attacks in or near the cobbles, especially from the Schleck's and Cadel Evans. Contador's cobble stone riding is novice, but he has practiced it a lot this last off season.

As for everyone's general strategy; be as close to the yellow jersey without actually wearing it. Flat stages are about getting new riders into break aways (assuming your team is not leading) and touting your sprinters at the finish.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
So far, it's about keepin the team intact and leader's safe. The cobbles will fracture the peleton into groups and it's anyone's guess who (of the leaders) will come out ahead and unscathed.
Interested to see how hurt Andy Schleck is.... He looked done at the wreck site, then rode well....

Another crazy day....
Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Interested to see how hurt Andy Schleck is.... He looked done at the wreck site, then rode well....

Another crazy day....
I wonder if they'll alter any times over the evening? I doubt they will, but was mentioned by commentators.

Andy does not strike me as being mentally tough as his brother, but has more athletic talent.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
Anyone know a good tour analysis site? Five six years ago there was a guy who did a blog/website that talked in depth about the team strategy and chess game going on beyond what any of the main sites are doing. He would predict who would make a break and points on the stage to expect activity and why and then do a post race breakdown about what actually happened and he was dead on a lot. I really enjoy the tour regardless but it I would like to know more about what is actually going on.
would be interested in this as well - I understand the basics but reading from someone who knows would be cool

go team RS! a surreptitious Leipheimer win would be really cool too!
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Tomorrow is a must see stage. Cancellara will be back in yellow is my prediction. He is a beast on this style of course and only Frank Schleck has the moxie to keep up with him. Frank he has to save himself for the Alps.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

Today was a crazy stage. A shame to see Frank go out like that. Also horrible luck for Armstrong to get a flat when he did. Things do not bode well for him or Andy now. I would be rather surprised to see anyone besides Contador win now.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Tough day for LA. Had 30 seconds on Contador....loses 50 second to him after the flat. Add to that he had to ride like a mad man to just lose 50.... That riding may cost him later....

Today was thought to be a day he could put some time into Andy and Alberto.....and just the opposite happens.... The tour is not over, but this time is going to be difficult to make up....he is no longer the climber that both of them are....

Now just hoping for podium....but never know what will happen, as the first 2 paragraphs attest....

Andy has to be disappointed to lose Frank and the thought of him pulling him through the mountains... Made up some time today though....amazing after yesterdays wreck and what looked like him being out of the Tour..... FC actually saved Andy's tour chances with his holding back the race yesterday..... AND he is back in Yellow...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #17
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

awesome stage today, very exiting.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

WOW....what a great race today!

Schleck and Conti are in a class by themselves. Contador looked MUCH stronger today than Sunday... If this continues, I don't see how he doesn't win GC.

Poor Cadel Evans.... Apparently he had a broken elbow, which makes him cracking understandable... For a second there I thought he bonked like I would....

WAY TO GO LEVI AND LANCE.... Though podium seems doubtful for Levi, it was still a VERY good ride today. Lance also rode well.... Still crossing my fingers that Lance can get a stage win.....
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #19
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

don't forget Menchov and the youngster Robert Gesink who both competed and finished with the best. And hats off to the oldest cyclist in the tour (Moreau) for his preformances in this stage.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Radio Shack team was suppose to have their act together, but obviously did not.

No suprise how well Saxo Bank is doing. It's all big time stars on that team and the egos are left behind.