Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #41
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any triathletes here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Just finished my first race of the year yesterday. The Manitou Sprint Triathlon. My time was 1:34:06.
Nice...and CONGRATS!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #42
Wanger

Knee is feeling great, but I've only been in the pool this week. The dream of doing a half iron this year isn't dead yet. We'll see how it feels after running tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #43
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

you are my hero...someday I wanna grow up to be just like you and do a triathlon...

Make sure you ice and stretch always.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #44
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
Smoke, drink, eat... Good luck to you though!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #45
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Good luck. We can talk the cycling part, but that is about it for me.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #46
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Aldrin (s0leful0ne), David (mexi-can), Patrick (pfm721) and myself will be doing our first sprint triathlon this September at Lake Eola in Orlando...well hopefully that is. We've started training back in I want to say April but I could be wrong.
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #47
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Aldrin (s0leful0ne), David (mexi-can), Patrick (pfm721) and myself will be doing our first sprint triathlon this September at Lake Eola in Orlando...well hopefully that is. We've started training back in I want to say April but I could be wrong.
Kevin, if you guys keep doing them, we will have to plan for me to come down there and all run one together. At some point, maybe I'll do the Clermont tri, since that's where all the in-laws are.

I started off last year just wanting to do it, as a challenge from my brother. My first one got me hooked, and I love it. I'm not the fastest out there, but just being part of it and being able to say "I did this." is what is the lure to me. I love the training and the feeling on race day makes it all worthwhile. I have found it to be an amazing endorphin rush and I can see myself continuing to do this for several years. I don't really have an ultimate goal, but I think it would be truly cool to be able to go and do "THE" Ironman in Hawaii some day. If I really wanted to compete for titles in my age group, I'd have to seriously upgrade my bike and change my training plan. But I'm fine where I'm at right now.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #48
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Kevin, if you guys keep doing them, we will have to plan for me to come down there and all run one together. At some point, maybe I'll do the Clermont tri, since that's where all the in-laws are.

I started off last year just wanting to do it, as a challenge from my brother. My first one got me hooked, and I love it. I'm not the fastest out there, but just being part of it and being able to say "I did this." is what is the lure to me. I love the training and the feeling on race day makes it all worthwhile. I have found it to be an amazing endorphin rush and I can see myself continuing to do this for several years. I don't really have an ultimate goal, but I think it would be truly cool to be able to go and do "THE" Ironman in Hawaii some day. If I really wanted to compete for titles in my age group, I'd have to seriously upgrade my bike and change my training plan. But I'm fine where I'm at right now.

I'll be waiting to see the post "I'm going to compete in Kona!"

I can do the run part but combine that with the other 2 ??? I've run the Boston Marathon as a bandit off and on for about 10yrs with my now 50 yr old uncle and his friends, now they are getting into the 50milers and I'm lazy
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #49
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I'll be waiting to see the post "I'm going to compete in Kona!"

I can do the run part but combine that with the other 2 ??? I've run the Boston Marathon as a bandit off and on for about 10yrs with my now 50 yr old uncle and his friends, now they are getting into the 50milers and I'm lazy
WOW! Ultras! DAMN!

You know D A M N sure that I will post something if and when that happens (Kona).
Old 07-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #50
Wanger

8 days to the next race...the one that started me off last year. Instead of the sprint like last year, it'll be the Olympic distance. I feel I'm ready for it. A good ride tomorrow a rest day, then a couple more workouts and a few days of rest before the race.

I am not likely going to be doing the half iron that I had hoped to, but I will at least run the sprint (which I also did last year, so I'll be ab le to see just how much improvement I've made).
Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #51
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I just ran about 3 miles and I thought I was going to die.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #52
ucubed
Corona Cigars

ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

I sprained my ankle playing tennis earlier this week so I've been limited to just pulls during our swim practices =(
Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #53
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

no triathlons this year unfortunately - schedule conflicts for all the ones I try to do... so for this year, just mtb races... two more to go for sure, may loop in one or two more
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #54
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
I sprained my ankle playing tennis earlier this week so I've been limited to just pulls during our swim practices =(
Excuses, excuses.

Just get in the pool and wprk on your timing and breathing, Kevin. I use mostly upper body when I swim to conserve my legs for everything else. Maybe next year, I'll get some coaching and see where it can take me.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #55
ucubed
Corona Cigars

Quote:
Excuses, excuses.

Just get in the pool and wprk on your timing and breathing, Kevin. I use mostly upper body when I swim to conserve my legs for everything else. Maybe next year, I'll get some coaching and see where it can take me.
I'm good on timing and breathing, but I need my legs to have a better idea since your legs use up more oxygen then your upper body. Yes it is true when swimming freestyle your stroke is where most of your momentum comes from. If you grab a kickboard and just kick vs grabbing a pull buoy and just stroke, you will notice a significant increase in speed in the latter vs the former. I swam in high school =D
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #56
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Triathalons mystify me. I ran a marathon (a long time ago), and finished in under 3 hours, but had no interest in swimming or biking afterwards.

Good luck next weekend! I hope it's not as hot as it is today.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #57
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Triathalons mystify me. I ran a marathon (a long time ago), and finished in under 3 hours, but had no interest in swimming or biking afterwards.
Excellent, because you get to run last....

Just finished a nice bike ride in the Park City area.... Couple good climbs....getting ready for the Tour de Park City (ride, not race)...
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #58
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post

Good luck next weekend! I hope it's not as hot as it is today.
Thanks, Warren. Even if it is as hot as it's been the last few days, I've been training in it, so I should be ready for it.

No more cigars for me until Sat. night. That first one will taste SO good! but what will it be?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #59
Wanger

Race day tomorrow...I go off between 7: 25 and 7:30 Central.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #60
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

HHEEEEeellll, no. I saw it on NBC last weekend and I almost died in my house.
They were all, "well, once they turn around at this bouy, it will be another 7 miles
to go, then they'll put on their bike pants...." I thought, I wonder how many of em
drowned before the first bouy and no one ever say them cause of all the splashing?
I'd be like "WHAT, you mean the bouy's not the END??? Where's my brochure?

Originally Posted by Adriftpanda
I just ran about 3 miles and I thought I was going to die.

I have been walking 5-7 miles a day, because I am old and that's what we do. But every now
and again, I have to 'trot' to get out of a car's way or beat someone to something to get the
right of way. It's like pulling a dead body up the stairs. I never liked running in the service, but now it's a non-possibility.

Last edited by OLS; 07-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote