Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #5581
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Got one of those for my wife last year, she loves it.

Watch that trigger though if you bring any new shooters to the range with you. I let an inexperienced friend shoot it a few months ago and she managed to accidentally bump fire it. Sounded like it went full-auto for 3 rounds. Did some reading and found out that's not uncommon since it has such a short reset and light pull.
I am enjoying it quite a bit. I haven't run into issues with bump fire but I will definitely keep it in mind! The 40 is snappier than I expected but by no means do I find it bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
This thread is slowing down a little bit without spectrrr's participation.

Found myself some .40 S&W ammo over the weekend, at basically pre-hysteria prices. Hopefully not a one-time-only deal.
That's impressive! Other than purchasing ammo at the range (their reloads) I have yet to find non-SD rounds anywhere.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #5582
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
This thread is slowing down a little bit without spectrrr's participation.

Found myself some .40 S&W ammo over the weekend, at basically pre-hysteria prices. Hopefully not a one-time-only deal.
sorry, I'm in the middle of moving... no time!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #5583
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
sorry, I'm in the middle of moving... no time!
We been missing you already.

Only reason I've been okay with the current fiasco is because between reloads and the factory stuff I've salted away over several years, I'm not too low on much anything important....yet. Meanwhile I can be picky about what I pay for things.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #5584
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlybear4CORT View Post
How's the ar market look like? I've stopped looking since December and I'm feeling like a light weight pencil barrel build in the immediate future.
Lowers (stripped or complete) still seem to be quite high, but are available. Upper parts seem readily available and not overly inflated if you do a little shopping. BCGs are still the long-lead item, but not as bad. Complete uppers/rifles from major manufacturers still appear hopelessly backordered and/or overpriced. Smaller shops are better, a buddy of mine is having an upper built at Ironworks Tactical with better components, shorter lead time (4-6 weeks), and cheaper than the majors. That shop's prices seem good even by pre-hysteria standards.

Quote:
Watch http://www.slickguns.com/today regularly, even daily if you're looking for something in particular. Chances are if there's affordable ammo, it'll get posted there, but it'll sell out quick. I've helped two of my buddies find 9mm at $15/50 from that site in the past month.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #5585
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Dammit! I get an email that Rainers had the Seekins P223 lower in stock. Click the link in the email and its showing out of stock. That was quick.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #5586
safariguy
There's one. Set for stun

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
safariguy will become famous soon enoughsafariguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post

Watch http://www.slickguns.com/today regularly, even daily if you're looking for something in particular. Chances are if there's affordable ammo, it'll get posted there, but it'll sell out quick. I've helped two of my buddies find 9mm at $15/50 from that site in the past month.
Well there goes all my free time. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #5587
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

These are the idiots that cause concern for most of us gun owners.
to summarize:

1) follow car loaded with teens as result of road rage from being cut off.
2) leave wife and child in car and go punch teen in the face
3) get your ass handed to you to include a broken nose
4) have your equally idiotic wife load the chamber and hand you a gun
5) go after teens pointing gun to shoot at them, with finger on the trigger, even if the threat has retreated.
6) get back in your car and follow them for over 40 minutes to their home.
7) shoot out the back window of their vehicle, as they are on the phone with the 911 operator.

Amazing. They are lucky the charges don't include attempted murder, with each teen being a count.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...e-fight-video/
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #5588
lostark374
Framed

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (5)
ERdM
lostark374 has disabled reputation

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/223-556/
Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #5589
ChicagoWhiteSox

Looking for thoughts on a quality AK47 manufacturer?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #5590
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Saiga makes a good rifle, I wouldnt hesitate to buy one of their guns. I have a WASR-10 that runs like a champ. Ive heard good things about the Bulgarian Arsenal guns too. The only thing I'd avoid with an AK are the home built receiver kits, unless you're 100% certain it was built by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #5591
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone here have any experience with some of the entry level O/U target shotguns from manufacturers like CV, Stoeger, etc? Was at the range Friday with a couple friends and shot the sporting clays course. Have done it a couple other times and forgot how much fun it is.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #5592
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Polytec is a highly regarded AK, I personally don't think any of them are "Quality". great for which they are designed, Loose,loud, floppy but run like a banshee.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #5593
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Anyone here have any experience with some of the entry level O/U target shotguns from manufacturers like CV, Stoeger, etc? Was at the range Friday with a couple friends and shot the sporting clays course. Have done it a couple other times and forgot how much fun it is.
Use caution, that shooting sport can be extremely addicting--and very expensive, if ya really get hooked. Only thing that's kept me out of it is the lack of courses within a short drive.

As to "how much" gun to buy for yourself right off the bat, get something that fits you well and operates reliably. Like any other type of firearm there's such a thing as going too cheap and winding up with something that breaks down with any serious amount of use. Takes the fun out of the whole day.

Sorry my advice is generic but the couple times I tried sporting clays it was with a decent O/U borrowed from a friend. Even with that limited experience I could tell the stock's dimensions weren't quite right for me, would have had to shop for something a little different than the one I used.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #5594
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Use caution, that shooting sport can be extremely addicting--and very expensive, if ya really get hooked. Only thing that's kept me out of it is the lack of courses within a short drive.

As to "how much" gun to buy for yourself right off the bat, get something that fits you well and operates reliably. Like any other type of firearm there's such a thing as going too cheap and winding up with something that breaks down with any serious amount of use. Takes the fun out of the whole day.

Sorry my advice is generic but the couple times I tried sporting clays it was with a decent O/U borrowed from a friend. Even with that limited experience I could tell the stock's dimensions weren't quite right for me, would have had to shop for something a little different than the one I used.
Thanks for the info Brian. From all the research I've done the last few days, people say to bypass the low end o/u and spend the little extra on a Browning Citori. Right now I don't have the minimum $1500+ to spend on one of those. And because I'd like to use it for more than just a target gun, I'm leaning towards a Weatherby or Mossberg semiauto.

And yes, it looks like it can get expensive. Like I don't have too many hobbies already draining my pocket book.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #5595
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

3D printed guns? Interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #5596
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Note to self:
Next craze, when you backorder stuff with no financial worries as not charged until they ship, remember that eventually, they WILL ship.
Getting slammed with crap I ordered months ago and forgot about it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #5597
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlybear4CORT View Post
How's the ar market look like? I've stopped looking since December and I'm feeling like a light weight pencil barrel build in the immediate future.
Mike, I'll sell you my AR for $1400
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #5598
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Polytec is a highly regarded AK, I personally don't think any of them are "Quality". great for which they are designed, Loose,loud, floppy but run like a banshee.
I shot one Saturday at the range. My brothers friends gun actually. Don't remember the model, but it was fun as heck to shoot. Dead accurate at 100 yards with just iron sights. It made me think hard about getting an AK instead of an AR15.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #5599
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I shot one Saturday at the range. My brothers friends gun actually. Don't remember the model, but it was fun as heck to shoot. Dead accurate at 100 yards with just iron sights. It made me think hard about getting an AK instead of an AR15.
Don't rule out AK74's either (5.45x39). Thats the way I'd go personally.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #5600
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Note to self:
Next craze, when you backorder stuff with no financial worries as not charged until they ship, remember that eventually, they WILL ship.
Getting slammed with crap I ordered months ago and forgot about it.
Yea, I'm waiting for those same crows to come home and roost here too.