Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #21
Hardcz

Default Re: I Will/Won't Drink Any Coffee, Anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
You're screwed.
Hell no, he'll be "pressed"

Best idea you've had yet!

Dan
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #22
muziq
Local Artard

Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road

Since finding the coffee forums on this (these) cigar board(s), I've gone from *gladly* drinking any coffee put in front of me to *grudgingly* drinking the bad stuff when decorum demands. Military training teaches you to put up with any number of violations to the human palette and physique, not the least of which is @sstastic coffee. Office-based employment and client/customer relations professions also often require the swigging of swinish swill for the sake of sale and commerce. But doing so only makes me enjoy my good cups, my great coffeehouses, that much more.

I will admit that sometimes, Moo, I do opt for tea when I think I can get away with it and not raise eyebrows inappropriately. In my neck of the woods, hot tea is seen by some as a sissy drink, and having it in business discussions can actually be a detriment to closing the deal. In those cases, I'll go with the flow and ask for a Lone Star
Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
darb85

There is a coffee shop here in TC that I like a lot, you just have to make sure the right person makes it. I like mine stronger than most, and they actually have a pot for me when I walk it. its sweet. I think i spend too much time there....

Did I mention the baristas are really cute?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #24
Cyclone

While I'm not obsessed as some of my local BOTL, I really enjoy GOOD coffee...

What drives me crazy are those coffee "poseurs" in the coffee shops that take 50 words to put their coffee order in: " Half black/half white, 300F, half foam, skinny, caramel machiatto with a quarter twist of tangerine"

I'm thinking of getting into home roasting this year...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
ghostrider
Ridin the storm

First Name: Drew
Trading: (4)
Bolivar CoastGuard (Active)
ghostrider is on a distinguished road

i've submitted myself to some of the most gawd awful swill around while out at sea. I've made it a point now to drink what I enjoy, which generally means what I roast and brew, NOT what gets served somewhere out in public. It's either water, or diet coke at restaurants.

Most of us wouldn't smoke a cremosa, even if gifted, why submit our taste buds to sub par coffee?
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
While I'm not obsessed ... I'm thinking of getting into home roasting this year...
You're screwed.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #27
Hardcz

I'll be drinking french press now...

Thanks Volt!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #28
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

I have had to reel myself back into check lately. Home roast, many friends I visit home roast so I have been feeling a bit privileged and was turning down coffee I had given to people because it was getting old. After my mother in law said to me "I save your coffee for special occasions because it is so good" I decided I was being a snob and drank some 5 week old home roast and it was good. I have paid for plenty of coffee I would not finish and plenty that was just passable and not to many great ones but I like coffee so I will keep trying and keep getting my roast out there so people know what it should taste like.

If all else fails I just drink Bourbon!
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
drob
Superbowl XLIV Champs!

Trading: (8)
AirForce (Retired)
drob is on a distinguished road

I WILL NOT, under any circumstances, drink coffee from a gas station, convenience store, etc. I will NEVER drink coffee from a can (pre-ground) again. No Dunkin Donut coffee, no Tarbucks. If I am between roasts, I can get pre-roasted that is satisfactory from Central Market.

Oh, and Dan, please tell me you don't have crumpet's with your tea.
drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #30
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I got gas station coffee last year, two times. It will never happen again. I can't really describe the taste, but it was nowhere near hazelnut or french vanilla. Why I would get this flavored coffee imitation, I don't know. I was almost too embarrassed to admit it. I was desperate for caffeine and had no time to stop anywhere else. Next time I will get a red bull or something. I am proud to say that since beginning home roasting I have yet to have another cup of gas station junk.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #31
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Smells wonderful, tastes like krap.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #32
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I was a drink whatever I can get, but now that I have a Moka Pot and have tasted great coffee, I am slowly going to I will drink what is good and only what is good. Thanks for the push Richard (Tzaddi).
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #33
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

If it has caffeine I will drink it. I might not want to drink it...but I will drink it.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #34
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

Count me in as a coffee snob, if it is not fresh roasted from a friend or my own home, I will stay clear of the stuff. The last time I had a cup of joe from McCrappy's, holy cow was that like drinking dirt. Not worth the waste of money.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #35
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLogic77 View Post
If it has caffeine I will drink it. I might not want to drink it...but I will drink it.
If I really need a coffee (or caffeine), Ill drink a cup of office slop if I need to. But I wont enjoy it. Ill probably choke down the last half and long for a cup of home-brewed, fresh ground java...

I have started taking home-brewed in the car on the way to work nowadays, which keeps me away from the office coffee - for a while, at least!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #36
TheManWithNoName

Cool Re: I Will/Won't Drink Any Coffee, Anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
What drives me crazy are those coffee "poseurs" in the coffee shops that take 50 words to put their coffee order in: " Half black/half white, 300F, half foam, skinny, caramel machiatto with a quarter twist of tangerine"
That's exactly how I feel. I like my coffee black and strong. I don't like being stuck behind these people in line, because their order takes about 7x longer than mine to order and fill, and I don't like how they claim to enjoy coffee. Whatever that drink is, it's not coffee anymore. The exception is people who use a small amount of cream or something respectable like that. I don't mean to be bitter [coffee pun?], but it does get annoying.

I agree that the few times I've ordered at Starbucks the coffee tastes badly burnt. I don't know what that's about, because when I make their brand of coffee at home it tastes good.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #37
tobii3

I will drink it all of course.

I will drink it on a horse.

I will drink it from a pouch.

I will drink it on a couch.

Would I like it in my cup?

I will reply "Fill 'er up".

Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #38
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
i've submitted myself to some of the most gawd awful swill around while out at sea. I've made it a point now to drink what I enjoy, which generally means what I roast and brew, NOT what gets served somewhere out in public. It's either water, or diet coke at restaurants.

Most of us wouldn't smoke a cremosa, even if gifted, why submit our taste buds to sub par coffee?
I agree we usually get the huge 5 gallon cans of hills brothers and somone will always throw away the lid so it goes stale. If we are lucky we get the premeasured bags of crapwell house. Now you would think that could not be f'ed up until some master chief comes around and throws 2 in the pot cause he likes his muddy water, but that is usually rare since it takes an act of god to get any chief to brew a pot

Last edited by 688sonarmen; 03-27-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Fat finger
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #39
robofan

I used to drink anything anywhere anytime but since I have fallen down the coffee slope this is no longer true. If I go out for breakfast I will drink whatever swill the breakfast place is serving otherwise I only drink coffee at home. I know the barista and he knows how I like it. The only other exception is if I'm out at a top quality restaurant for dinner I will have an after dinner espresso or cappuccino.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #40
davearob
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (2)
RyJ
davearob is on a distinguished road

I got my intrduction to good coffee about 18 years ago when a small coffee shop which roasted its own beans open up in the town I live in. The owners were determine to provide only the best coffee, espresso etc...Before I tried theirs I was only an occasional drinker. After my first espresso there I was hooked I couldn't believe how rich and flavorful it was. I then began to be educated in the wide variety of flavors from the different growing regions.

About four years ago the owners retired and sold the business. For the first little bit the coffee was still outstanding but then began to lose quality. This shop has a wide variety of beans. Now they only roast once a week and pour the fresh into a tub which has old beans already in it. They have taken a great coffee shop and made it mediocre. The only time I can get consistent good beans is if I am there while they are roasting and take what ever I can get that is freshly roasted. I keep trying their coffee every once in a while and usually end up being very disappointed and pouring it out.

Needless to say though I have learnt to make great coffee at home with a french press and moka pot. I have a lower end expresso machine that I hope to replace with a Rancilio Silvia some day, but the expresso from it is still better than most places make. So back to mister Moo point I think you are right it is best to order tea....at least in my town.