Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road
Default Spanish cedar sap

I bought spanish cedar planks to use as shelves in my vinotemp. They have a little sap on them and it sticks to the cigar boxes. When putting in the shelves I didn't even think about it, but will the sap hurt anything? Is there an easy way to get it off the planks and boxes?
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
ChasDen

Default Re: Spanish cedar sap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
I bought spanish cedar planks to use as shelves in my vinotemp. They have a little sap on them and it sticks to the cigar boxes. When putting in the shelves I didn't even think about it, but will the sap hurt anything? Is there an easy way to get it off the planks and boxes?
I suggest you wipe it down with denatured alcohol. lacquer thinner or acetone on a rag can also be used, but the denatured alcohol is safer. The others will leave behind a residue not advised for inside a humidor. If using the last 2 allow plenty of time to completely dry, rinse with a wet rag and allow to completely dry again.

If severe, a light sanding with sand paper may be necessary.

Chas
Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
I suggest you wipe it down with denatured alcohol. lacquer thinner or acetone on a rag can also be used, but the denatured alcohol is safer. The others will leave behind a residue not advised for inside a humidor. If using the last 2 allow plenty of time to completely dry, rinse with a wet rag and allow to completely dry again.

If severe, a light sanding with sand paper may be necessary.

Chas
The Man knows!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll pick up some denatured alcohol and give it a shot.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
The Postman

Would not isopropyl alcohol be the preferred agent for this kind of thing?? I have used it for cleaning electronic equipment for many years, and after doing the research it seems that denatured alchohol is more toxic. Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
ChasDen

It's my understanding that denatured alcohol is ethanol with 10% methanol. The purpose of the methanol is to prevent its consumption. It's commonly used in the wood working community as a sanding aid because of its rapid evaporation and cleaning abilities. I have never used the isopropyl alcohol for cleaning sap, so I cannot comment if it works better or not. Because of their rapid evaporation, I do not believe there is any risk using either. The reason the denatured alcohol is used in woodworking is it does not open the grain like water does. Its also used in very small quantities in products like tooth paste.

Chas
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Would not isopropyl alcohol be the preferred agent for this kind of thing?? I have used it for cleaning electronic equipment for many years, and after doing the research it seems that denatured alchohol is more toxic. Just a thought.
Isopropyl contains water and is never used for cleaning wood or metal prior to finshing. Denatured evaporates much faster and does not penetrate very much. You would definitely want to use denatured on wood but keep in mind it is highly flamable, far more than Isopropyl.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
The Postman

OK, there you go. For metal its Isopropyl, for wood, its denatured, now we know!!