Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
dccraft

Default Cigar tar in clipped area.

Had this happen a couple of times this winter on two different brands. Everything is going along nicely when suddenly the taste in my mouth turns rancid. I check my smoke and notice some little bubbles of a tar-like substance at the clipped end. First time I took my cutter and clipped a little more of the cap off and it seemed to save the smoke. The second time I couldn't save it. Is this just an over-oily leaf or some other reason?

I've never had this happen before. How 'bout you?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cigar tar in clipped area.

Hello Doug, I believe those little bubbles are "nicotine", and have gotten onto my lips and fingers probably like everyone else from time to time. Some folks say its because of not taking enough time in between puffs (or excessive puffing?), possibly a draw with a smidge of resistance, or as you've mentioned, just a darn right leaf with excessive nutrients. Its occurred to me with a draw that has a smidge of resistance...there may be others with better answers though
Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I've experienced this a couple of times and have some great cigars go south in a hurry. I attributed it to not clipping enough off and smoking a little too quickly. That said, I've had limited success by cutting off a little more from the cap. I'm looking forward to what others have to say, cuz I definitely don't want to experience it again.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I'm looking forward to what others have to say, cuz I definitely don't want to experience it again.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I've had a flavored cigar do this to me. Liquid almost poured out of it onto my lips. It was a Drew Estate Java Latte. But that wasn't nicotine in my case. I believe it was the flavored "syrup".

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Hardcz

I only get this when there is too much moisture going into the cigar...usually when I have it in my mouth too much..... so stop chewing and licking that thing.....

Clipping 1/8 of an inch usually takes care of it though.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Has happened to me on quite a few occasions- usually with "stronger" cigars. I've found that putting a Kleenex to the bubble helps- kinda dry out that area a bit. But, it sure does spoil an otherwise good smoke. I've tried recutting with limited success. Perhaps it is smoking too fast- I know I'm often guilty of that.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Beer Doctor

Had that happen on an 08 power ranger. I figured the problem arose because of three things happening at once. 1.) It was a belicoso and I didn't cut that much off the head. 2) the draw was kinda tight. 3) It is a strong cigar.

I just cut a little more off the head and kept smoking. Didn't notice a change in flavor. I didn't have the tar touch my tongue though, just my lips.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

happen to me like a couple of time, i would clip the end again, or slow down smkoing...if i slow down and dont rush it...works great
Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
ChicagoWhiteSox

had this happen with me. i was smoking a fuente opus x i think it was the xxx size. The tar was kinda ouzing out of it. i wasnt smoking to hard or fast so clipped a little more of the head. seemed to help.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Chompers

I've never had it happen to me, but it's good to know what to do now!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
dccraft

Both of these happened while smoking too fast in sub-zero temp I'm afraid

Can't wait for warmer weather so I can slow down

Thanks for the input guys!!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
totallytentative

Like someone alluded to already, I think it's not really "tar", but condensation from the smoke. Burning stuff produces water as a combustion by-product.

I don't know how/why this occurs sometimes, but I had this happen to me once and that black/brown liquid was THE most rancid, bitter foulness I had ever tasted. Ever since I've kept a piece of tissue paper on hand to dab the end of the cigar if I see it happening, and I try not to lick the end of the cigar or even wet it with my lips. I seem to recall getting a similar flavour just from the wet tobacco, but maybe I was actually licking some of this stuff off and not knowing it.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
houdini
Life is Beautiful........

Trading: (21)
Trinidad
houdini is on a distinguished road

its happened on a few opus x's and a single boli gold medal for me. coincedently, theyre 2 of my favs as well!