Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default HTF Cigars - Which Are Worthy of the Search?

Just because a particular cigar is Hard To Find, that doesn't automatically mean, that it's a great cigar. Which of the HTF Cigars, of which there seems to be many, many, now days , are truly worth the search?
Old 02-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: HTF Cigars - Which Are Worthy of the Search?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post

Are those the legendary "Gorilla Fingers" I have read about in CA mythology?
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Are those the legendary "Gorilla Fingers" I have read about in CA mythology?
Same manufacturer, if you want to call Lars that.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Is this for real? I just went to that cite and it seemed kind of like a joke but almost crazy enough to be real.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
it seemed kind of like a joke but almost crazy enough to be real.
You have just described the company, as well as the individual behind the company, perfectly
Old 02-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You have just described the company, as well as the individual behind the company, perfectly
I can dig it I guess. To each his own.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Is this for real? I just went to that cite and it seemed kind of like a joke but almost crazy enough to be real.
He's a modern day da Vinci I tell you.

Don't believe me, just ask him.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

For a good laugh, check out http://www.larstetens.com/about.html on the right read "Lars on Gars". Pretty funny even without the spelling and grammar errors. For example-

"8.The cigars does not follow great people. Great people follow the cigar. It is because of it’s nature, peace. "

Either this guy took a couple blows to the head as a kid or uses his cigars as wrappers for something else...
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

How dare you insinuate such things about the master of all things.

(I think he actually snacks on lead paint chips)
Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I appreciate the responses guys, but to be honest, I am confused with whats going on.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I'm trying to remember how many times, "Please don't feed the trolls" was posted in alt.smokers.cigars...
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Sorry Johnny, I instantly derailed your thread.

When I think about HTF stuff that's worth the search (for NCs), I usually think of stronger stuff, since in my opinion some of the milder stuff mellows out too quickly, and a lot of the HTF stuff is either older or could get some age before being smokes. With that in mind, some of the older strong tats such as the T110 and M80 are a good find, as well as the old blacks and reservas.

Of course most of my experience is with tats, so I can't speak specifically about other marcas, but I know I have found some older stuff in the past after looking around for a while, and after smoking them I am underwhelmed since they lost their sparkle over the years. Typically when I look for the HTF stuff, even if I'm buying fresh, it's because I'm going to hang onto it for a while and smoke it around friends, or give to friends to smoke.

Didn't quite answer your question with a list, but that's my thought behind it
Old 02-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I appreciate the responses guys, but to be honest, I am confused with whats going on.
Ben and I were both pulling your leg and sarcastically reinforcing what you stated in your post. Lars Teten's cigars are most certainly HTF. They are also complete and utter sh!t driven to sell by the curiosity of those wondering about the absurdity of his fantastic (and mostly fabricated) claims of greatness. If they were any good, he'd have repeat business, he hasn't made them for some time because no one is really buying them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I'm trying to remember how many times, "Please don't feed the trolls" was posted in alt.smokers.cigars...
They say memory is the first thing to go.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I'd go out of my way to purchase more Pork Tenderloins, T110's, Barclay Rex, the Boris some other cigars, but probably not at the premium that would be ask.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Depends on how you classify HTF, I've noticed over the last couple of years that some companies that release short runs of cigars to build up the anticipation and hype, the prices go through the roof on the secondary market and the cigars just aren't that good. DE comes to mind.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #17
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I would love to find some Punch Super Rothschilds (NCs), but they are no longer made and probably went out of production back in the late 1990s. Another one that has disappeared are Cifuentes - yes, they have reincarnated the name and a few cigars, but I'd love to find some of the older stuff again.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Depends on how you classify HTF, I've noticed over the last couple of years that some companies that release short runs of cigars to build up the anticipation and hype, the prices go through the roof on the secondary market and the cigars just aren't that good. DE comes to mind.
I think almost most all NC manufacturers are guilty of hyping limited / short run cigars.

I personally don't really bother to chase any HTF NCs anymore. I've had some very good ones, and some very underwhelming ones, but I just don't find the payoff to be worth the effort of the chase and price hike of the secondary market. At least for me. Sure, for certain ones, if I walk into a store and they are there at MSRP, I might indeed pick them up, but I'm not running after any of them. Too many other good cigars out there that are easy enough to get.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #19
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I think almost most all NC manufacturers are guilty of hyping limited / short run cigars.

I personally don't really bother to chase any HTF NCs anymore. I've had some very good ones, and some very underwhelming ones, but I just don't find the payoff to be worth the effort of the chase and price hike of the secondary market. At least for me. Sure, for certain ones, if I walk into a store and they are there at MSRP, I might indeed pick them up, but I'm not running after any of them. Too many other good cigars out there that are easy enough to get.
I agree, the owner of my local B&M will get in those "HTF" boxes now and then and dole them out to the regulars, making sure everyone gets one or two, if I happen to go in and he has something put aside I am more than happy to pay MSRP for something different and hyped just to try it.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #20
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I thought that the DE Liga Unico Ratzilla was really good.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote