Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Job you wanted when you were young compared to Today?

I got to thinking, so many kids say, "I wanna be an Astronaut, Firefighter, Police Officer, Soldier, etc."

When I was younger I wanted to work at a Movie Store, so I could watch Movies all day, and so my Mother could move in with me, and I could take care of her.

I'm working on becoming a Cop, like so many other people in the country. Now my Job is a Security Guard at the Childrens Hospital in Boston.

Some of the replies I'm sure will be interesting, considering the riff raff here
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job you wanted when you were young compared to Today?

I don't know.. I mean.. I'm about to be 24 in 2 days so I'm still young..

When I was 8 years old I wanted to be a computer programmer for IBM.. When I was 12 years old I started at a college taking computer classes. My grades in Junior High were failing as a result, so I got taken out of college. At age 15, I wanted to work for the government.

As of 22, I started working for the Department of Defense.

Now? Preparing for school, starting my prerequisites in January to be a Registered Nurse. Wish me luck. Good luck on becoming a Cop.
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
I don't know.. I mean.. I'm about to be 24 in 2 days so I'm still young..

When I was 8 years old I wanted to be a computer programmer for IBM.. When I was 12 years old I started at a college taking computer classes. My grades in Junior High were failing as a result, so I got taken out of college. At age 15, I wanted to work for the government.

As of 22, I started working for the Department of Defense.

Now? Preparing for school, starting my prerequisites in January to be a Registered Nurse. Wish me luck. Good luck on becoming a Cop.
First part of that reminded me of:

lol

Thanks. It's almost impossible to be a Cop in Boston, much less Massachusetts. I work with guys that have Masters in C.J., and they don't even get looked at.
Good luck with the R.N.
I'm 23 also Sir.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Computer programming?
Truly an honorable and respected profession.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

I didn't mean any disrespect at the Career. Just an 8 year old having such a high goal seems rare
My Wife knew she was going to enlist in the Coast Guard when she was 10. Interesting how some people are so driven so early.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
I didn't mean any disrespect at the Career. Just an 8 year old having such a high goal seems rare
My Wife knew she was going to enlist in the Coast Guard when she was 10. Interesting how some people are so driven so early.
No offense taken.

Just thought it ironic since I've been a computer programmer for 30+ years.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Well, what'd you wanna do when you were a young one Mr. Peter? Play along
Old 10-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Well, what'd you wanna do when you were a young one Mr. Peter? Play along
When I was 3 or 4, I wanted to be a garbage man. True story.
Once I got into school, it was obvious I was very mathematically inclined. So I knew early on I was destined for something quantitative or analytical.
BA in Mathematics. Masters in Business Administration. PhD in Decadence and Debauchery.

O.K. I lied about the PhD.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

I'm thinking the Sheldon picture applies to more than one in this thread... and given my Mathematical skills, not me
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Mob boss, beermeister, p orn star, eccentric, fireman, fisherman, pnoon's stunt double, railroad tycoon, that guy, batman.

2 outta 10 ain't bad.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
When I was younger I wanted to work at a Movie Store, so I could watch Movies all day,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmE7mhmCUY NSFW

When I was young, I wanted to be Dirty Harry. I came a close second.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

Well the reason I got into Computer Programming at such a young age was because at age 6 I started using mIRC and met a lot of people on DAL.net -- Some of them being hackers. So by age 8, I was making what amounted to simple FTP clients using Visual Basic so I could root computers effectively and maintain access. It mostly started with me just taking source codes and editing them to how I wanted them to work. I've made Hello World apps in many languages: BASIC, C++, C#, J++, PHP.. Several coding languages that I never mastered. :-)

I mostly went to being a white hat after getting myself hacked when I was like 11. Good learning experience, to get beaten by the big boys. Anyways...

OH, and besides just a job I wanted, I wanted to be Al Bundy from Married With Children. I ran into one of my childhood friends moms, she told me at her sons 9th birthday.. I had 4 fingers down the front of my pants, with the thumb outside of my pants, just like Bundy. I was laughing my ass off when I heard that.
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #14
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

When I was young I wanted to be an oceanographer. Jacques Cousteau and All Giddings were my heroes. I also had and still am fascinated with flying. When I got older, 10+ I started to want to follow my dad's footsteps into the heavy trucking industry thanks to many afternoons after school stomping around the heavy truck shop he presided over.

After starting my working career in the restaurant industry, I finally did get the opportunity to get into trucking. I spent from the late 90's to the mind 00's driving an unknown but damned high number of different vehicles. Since 2005, I've moved into management, my last job being the safety director for a trucking company.

I still want to fly one day.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

A pro baseball player. Got all the way to division 1 ball and then blew my elbow out. Real life hits hard after that, but now I'm thankful for the career I have!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #16
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I initially wanted to be a commercial airline pilot. My fiancé pretty much 86'd the idea of letting me go into the military to build my hours. I liked air traffic control, but refused to join a union, so I started off in procurement for a major airline.

I transferred to real estate procurement/project manager 10 years out of college. Between watching my parents go through poor health/passing in 2008 and getting laid off in 2009 due to the economy, I had a big change in priorities. After a BS in aviation mgmt and masters in aeronautical science, I became a full time student again at the age of 35 and went back for a BS in nursing. I graduated in May and now I work in the ER. This is the first time I've ever enjoyed going into work and is by far the best decision I've ever made career-wise.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

I knew since I was about 7 or 8 that I wanted to be in the military. I remember when I was 9 or 10 I made my mother buy me a suncatcher at a vendor stand at the mall. I remember going home that day, sticking it to the window and staring at it for days trying to catch all the sun rays that hit the window. To this day I still have it at my parent's apartment on the very same window. The suncatcher is an eagle, globe, and anchor with the words UNITED STATES MARINES on the outer edge.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #18
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

When I was very young I wanted to play in the MLB, but only for a national league team. Then I got a little older and I changed my mind and I wanted to be a National Park Ranger. Then when I got to college I wanted to be a photographer for National Geographic or Sports Illustrated.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

When I was young I wanted to work on an "amblumance" (yes, I said it as I spelled it). Then I wanted to be a harpooner on an old style whaling ship or a fighter pilot in WWI or WWII (yes, I wanted to travel back in time to do so). I did consider the Air Force Academy and being a pilot, but ended up going in church work - first degree in education and teaching in Lutheran schools for 4 years before finally finishing my MDiv and becoming a pastor.

I still like to dream though. I see a special shop in my future - 1/3 smoke shop, 1/3 fine beverage shop, 1/3 outfitter - it would be in building with three wings, obviously 2 of them being much, much smaller. In the center would be a public lounge (with TVs, big comfy chairs, a couple tables, and serving wild game and other fare, where people could gather for a cigar, beverage, etc...) surrounded by some sound proof lounge rooms w/TVs where those who wanted to, could gather with just a couple people to watch hunting or fishing programs/videos/tutorials.

Yeah, rather ambitious and probably never happen - but it is nice to dream.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thanks. It's almost impossible to be a Cop in Boston, much less Massachusetts. I work with guys that have Masters in C.J., and they don't even get looked at.
If you're qualified,there are good departments hiring.Don't count on staying in Boston though,remember it will be easier to lateral into Boston if that's what you really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

I've been a computer programmer for 30+ years.
tab cards?
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote