Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Ventilation in your Lounge or B&M

I guess I didn't realize how good I had it in Seattle; apparently there are regulations there which dictate a certain level of ventilation/extraction by square footage.

At Smokey Joe's in Fife, our regular Mossback hangout, I never felt "smoked out" despite there being 30 or more cigars lit in the room at peak (Taco Tuesday!).

Yet now that I'm back in Miami, I haven't been to one place where I haven't felt that I was smoking every cigar in the room...and in some cases, that's been over 15 cigars. It wears on you after a couple hours, you know?

Now, clearly, I'm a smoker. But with the lack of ventilation in local places it gets to the point where I can't even taste my own cigar anymore.

What's up with that? Are the regs just that lax down here, or are shop/lounge owners simply ignoring the law? How is it in your local joints?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ventilation in your Lounge or B&M

Its different by state I believe, and also changes by the lease agreement as well. If it becomes bothersome for you just mention it to the owner, sometimes if the traffic in the store isn't high enough they don't bother with the extra ventilation system just because its so loud.

On another note:
I remember hearing a a story about a shop in a VA mall where the mall tried to jack up rent for the store by twice as much because they were allowed to smoke inside and the mall had just put a kids place right out front of the store. The owner agreed on one condition, that the mall hired someone to check the pollutant concentrations of the store and other stores in the mall and if the cigar store had the highest concentration they would gladly either stop allowing smoking in the store or pay the increase in rent. Needless to say they weren't even close, and were actually on the lower end of most of the stores because of the ventilation system.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Louisiana doesn't really have much in the way of regs on that, just that the building must be vented to outside air.

I suspect many B&Ms simply are trying to save money where possible. Filtration systems are NOT cheap, and the monthly upkeep can run into the thousands of dollars for carbon filters and closed filter systems. Just an electrostatic filter service costs about 400 a month here.

It really depends on the size of the shop, how much business it does, and if the business owns the building or rents it. A building owned by a modest to larger shop that does $1M+ a year in sales could probably afford a closed return-air filtration system better than a shop that rents a building and does < $500k sales a year.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

We have similar regulations in Portland. The Mark at the Shilo Inn as two big "Smoke Eaters", but they do not always do the job. When it gets busy they need to open a couple of windows to get some additional ventilation.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if there are requirements in WI. I know one B&M had an event I went to with 40-50 people, and after a couple hours I had to step outside to get some fresh air. There's another B&M I sometimes go to that has it on so high (even with only 2-3 people) that your cigar burns unevenly unless you rotate every couple puffs or so.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Same problem at my local lounge. When it gets bad I go smoke outside. They are working on getting a better vent system.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Vent system is pretty damn good where I smoke. The only time I can remember even noticing extra smoke was at the Sam Leccia Cain F Nub event and there were at least 50 people in a small shop. Almost standing room only and everyone smoking. They frequently turn the Smokeaters up or down depending on the crowd to make sure there is enough ventilation.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road

Anybody have details on ventilation systems they are really impressed with?