Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #21
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CAMPING GEAR Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Call me old fashioned but... leave the iphone at home or in the car. If you absolutely just have to take it with... theres a wonderful battery preservation option called the off.
I agree with this to a point. With all the apps out. There is a sever weather app. And I would have the local DNR number where ever I am. Your right, I would turn it off and enjoy the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
if I did find myself out on a longer hike, being able to use the a map app would be pretty useful...
Rob Rob rob. Do I need to teach you how to use a map and compass.

Now for my great. I have an old one may tent that I got when I was in Boy Scouts. No idea what the name is and if you can still get it.

Shoes/boots. I use my military issued boots. Bates. Once they are broken in they can last for a long time. I still wear mine from my Iraq 2007 deployment.

Fire. Well this is where I keep a lot of choices. I keep flint/steel, 9v bat and steel wool (goes up like a champ) a bag of dyer lint, and last but not least. A tampon soaked in lighter fuild. This is in case there is a shat storm.

Food, SPAM, freeze dried crap.

Knife. I carry a few. Let see a Bowie Knife (because you never know when you need to knife fight) and one of my random pocket knifes.

Sleeping bag. I use to use a Colman -10 below sleeping bag. Since I have joined the military I have "found" an extra military sleeping I use that. It has 3 layers top layer being water resistant cover (I like being dry).

I like to cook over the open fire with some small pots and pans

Last but not least a First Aid kit. Loaded with gaze, turnikits, and if can get the some Quickclot gaze. This is used to stop bleeding in extreme situations.

I hope this helps.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post

A tampon soaked in lighter fluid.

An alternative to this, that my daughter's boyfriend uses.... 100% cotton balls, soaked in Vaseline Jelly, This takes a spark instantly, doesn't have a leak factor, doesn't expand in space like a tampon would.... And doesn't have an evaporation potential that lighter fluid would have. Try this as an alternative while at home. And you can pack a lot of pre-greased cotton balls in any number of small containers like pill bottles, film canisters or even cigar tubes!!

Just an alternative to consider. I'd never tried it before, and was very impressed.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I've never been on the AT, but isn't there any birch trees around?

Before the recently purchased survival bracelet, I've never brought any type of fire-starter besides a Bic lighter (or 3) and a container of waterproof matches. Everything else, nature has provided me for fire-building. Has since the fifth grade. But I've only camped up here in Minnesota, so fire-making options may very well be more scarce in other regions.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
An alternative to this, that my daughter's boyfriend uses.... 100% cotton balls, soaked in Vaseline Jelly,
Good idea will give it a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
But I've only camped up here in Minnesota, so fire-making options may very well be more scarce in other regions.
I grew up in MI its a lot better to start a fire fast after you fall through the ice

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

True. But I also would suggest not falling through the ice.

Seriously though, My tactics/skills/supplies have never been geared towards winter camping. Because its really cold and I don't want to go then.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #26
Robulous78

Fellas, these recommendations have been great, Greatly appreciated!!!

Right now I am thinking primarily about a tent and cooking system to start out with...

As far as the tent goes, I have seen one before that you set up using your trek poles, I have to admit I kinda like this idea... anyone familiar with tents/ manufactures that make this type of tent?

Secondly, I will always keep a firestarter and mess kit on hand, its just smart, but I am also looking into a mini stove. The Jetboil stoves have my interest currently but IDK how easy it is to find replacement fuel for them, MSR makes a nice mini stove, but I have heard good and bad things about them, Coleman would be the easiest to find fuel for, but their canisters are typically heavier and bulky in the pack... suggestions?

Thanks for all the discussion fellas, I appreciate your advice and experience...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #27
Robulous78

Quote:
So Rob,

When i hike, im always thinking of things with more than one use. If youre planning on hiking part or all of the AT, you may want a gps along for the ride. And if you like music while you walk, why then also take an iphone? This Magellan Triton 1500 Hiking GPS appears to do both. You can get topo maps by connecting to a PC, record audio files, expand the memory and add songs or books on tape through an sd card slot, hell, it even has an LED flashlight for emergencies. The best part about it? It runs on 2 AA batteries which require no charging time and can be found almost anywhere.

Just an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V4S6Y2http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V4S6Y2
I am really liking this idea, will look into this further... Thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
Robulous78

Ok, next debate, Steri Pens (UV) for water purification vs. chem vs. the various types of filter purification... Which do you recommend for long term, reliable, lightweight use?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Ok, next debate, Steri Pens (UV) for water purification vs. chem vs. the various types of filter purification... Which do you recommend for long term, reliable, lightweight use?
The filter Jeremy recommended earlier has been in use by him/us for almost 20 years That one and is actually branded "Pur", which was what they were before Pur started making home filters and changed the hiking filters to Katadyn name. I believe his was the "Hiker" model, and it is still sold as that model. You will note that the replacement filters are most of the cost of the unit ($70 for complete unit, $50 for replacement filters). The replacement filters are still the ones his old system uses. It is a very efficient system, and we have had ZERO issues with it over hundreds of uses from locally to the AT to the Boundary Waters. The tip about wrapping a coffee filter around the pick-up bob for muddy waters will greatly extend the filter life. About the shortest life we experienced on this filter was due to a five day canoe trip on the Black Water River in Florida, where sand ended up clogging every filter the scouts had, except Jeremy's. However, Jeremy's didn't last a full trip after that (but a replacement filter was on-hand). Katadyn offers a wide variety of filters and options, have been around for a long time and know what they are doing. And they are not that expensive, plus the replacement filters are generally available at most outdoor stores. We made a habit of having heavy duty ziplock bags (marked with sharpies) for the pick-up line and a separate bag for the outflow line, simply to assure ourselves that there wasn't any cross-contamination from the end that went in the water, and the end that goes in your water bottle (or pot or camelback).

On the Boundary Waters canoe trip, we also carried Iodine tablets, but found that a lot of pills were required to treat the amounts of water used. I consider them a "must have" as a back-up, since the little bottle takes up very little room. There are also pills that are said to neutralize the iodine taste, but these only preformed marginally, IMO.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #30
Robulous78

Thanks Cliff... I will certainly take into account your long term use recommendation, which is precisely what I am looking for...

Onto cooking systems, jetboil? Coleman? MSR? other?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #31
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks Cliff... I will certainly take into account your long term use recommendation, which is precisely what I am looking for...

Onto cooking systems, jetboil? Coleman? MSR? other?
Jetboil seems nice... if all you ever want to do is boil water with expensive and far too unique of a fuel cannister. I never liked systems like that which always seemed top heavy once filled with water or food. And the gas cannister for most models says it will only boil 12 liters of water. So basically if you use half a liter for each meal you've only got a week of meals? I dont like the thought of that. What happens when you are 2 weeks from your next stop and you only have one tank?

MSR Whisperlite. Or Whisperlite International. Do it. Do it.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #32
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

MSR. I have 2 MSR stoves, a Whisperlite (pre-shaker jet, probably 25 years old) and a Dragonfly, 10 or 12 years old, I would guess. Both bombproof. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment buying an MSR white gas stove if a replacement was needed. The Jetboil is a very nice one trick pony.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #33
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
MSR. I have 2 MSR stoves, a Whisperlite (pre-shaker jet, probably 25 years old) and a Dragonfly, 10 or 12 years old, I would guess. Both bombproof. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment buying an MSR white gas stove if a replacement was needed. The Jetboil is a very nice one trick pony.
Quote:
Jetboil seems nice... if all you ever want to do is boil water with expensive and far too unique of a fuel cannister. I never liked systems like that which always seemed top heavy once filled with water or food. And the gas cannister for most models says it will only boil 12 liters of water. So basically if you use half a liter for each meal you've only got a week of meals? I dont like the thought of that. What happens when you are 2 weeks from your next stop and you only have one tank?

MSR Whisperlite. Or Whisperlite International. Do it. Do it.
I have little experience with white gas stoves... all I remember hearing in boy scouts what that they were tricky and then out came the Coleman. with the MSR dual fuel stoves, obviously you can use white gas in the reservoir, but how easy are the canisters to find? how long do they last? are they expensive etc?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #34
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have little experience with white gas stoves... all I remember hearing in boy scouts what that they were tricky and then out came the Coleman. with the MSR dual fuel stoves, obviously you can use white gas in the reservoir, but how easy are the canisters to find? how long do they last? are they expensive etc?
Theyre only tricky if youre a mentally handicapped gorilla with 6 thumbs and epilepsy.

The Boy Scouts have shied away from liquid fuel stoves because unfortunately, as bad as a disfigured epileptic retarded gorilla sounds, there are actually people with less intelligience than that on this planet.

I like the versatility, affordability and availability of white gas as a fuel source. The problem you will always have with specialty fuels is they are expensive and if you need to find a cannister of it in the backwoods country store in west virginia somewhere you may find yourself **** out of luck.

The MSR Whisperlite International can even burn unleaded gasoline if need be due to its extra large regulator.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #35
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:

The MSR Whisperlite International can even burn unleaded gasoline if need be due to its extra large regulator.
Not to mention, AVgas ( as I recall offhand), diesel/kerosene, and I think some crazy bastard may have used alcohol in one. The universal whisperlite can take all of the above and canister fuel, as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #36
Robulous78

Hmmm... So the universal is the most versatile with fuel sources? I will definitely look into that...