Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default White precipitate on cigar wrappers

I visited a tobacco shop that I don't really find impressing. ALL cigars with cellophane had a white powdery precipitate on them. Apparently from using tap water in their humidifier instead of distilled water. I think this is 'hard water' precipitate. Opinions?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: White precipitate on cigar wrappers

Yes, based on your description, it does sound like they might be using tap water with a high mineral content in the humidification system. The cigars closer to the humidifier would tend to display heavier or more deposits. Also, it tends to settle on the upward / outward facing of the cigar, similar to how dust would settle in a room, and, if you were to dig down to a lower layer in a box, you shouldn't find much in the way of these deposits.

While not terminal, it's not ideal for the cigars and might affect flavor over a long period of time. Obviously, cello and sealed boxes will be less vulnerable.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I visited a tobacco shop that I don't really find impressing. ALL cigars with cellophane had a white powdery precipitate on them. Apparently from using tap water in their humidifier instead of distilled water. I think this is 'hard water' precipitate. Opinions?
This happens at our Apex shop but not the main shop. I know we use distilled for both shops, the main difference is the humidifier. I've noticed shops using humidifiers that do a thick mist(like in the apex shop) that you can actually see as opposed to shops(like our main shop) that use humidifiers that do an almost impossible to see mist, the stuff just gets on the sticks. I've never noticed any difference between the two shops as far as sticks smoking differently.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
This happens at our Apex shop but not the main shop. I know we use distilled for both shops, the main difference is the humidifier. I've noticed shops using humidifiers that do a thick mist(like in the apex shop) that you can actually see as opposed to shops(like our main shop) that use humidifiers that do an almost impossible to see mist, the stuff just gets on the sticks. I've never noticed any difference between the two shops as far as sticks smoking differently.

In and of itself, distilled water should leave no deposits regardless of the mist, as it is pure water. Now, if you have a very high particulate count in the air, it could be picking some of that up and depositing it, or the humidifier tank and internals might be contaminating the distilled ware and are in need of cleaning. It's also possible that something is reacting with the water and discoloring based on that.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
In and of itself, distilled water should leave no deposits regardless of the mist, as it is pure water. Now, if you have a very high particulate count in the air, it could be picking some of that up and depositing it, or the humidifier tank and internals might be contaminating the distilled ware and are in need of cleaning. It's also possible that something is reacting with the water and discoloring based on that.
Do people smoke in the humidor?
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Do people smoke in the humidor?
Nope. Its actually harder to get smoke in that humidor than in the main shop as you have to go from the lounge, to the non smoking retail area, and then into the humidor to get in there.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

So here's the real deal: I've worked in 4 retail cigar stores and a cigar warehouse. All had humidification systems, some more effective than others. All have had issues with what I call "White Haze". The truth is that it happens almost everywhere. I've used reverse osmosis, water softening systems, charcoal filters, you name it. It just happens. It's just atomized water settling on cello/other surfaces. Good tobacconists recognize this and are attentive to their inventory and keep their product that is in cello wiped down every day. I am a stickler for it at the five stores I'm responsible for. Un-cello'd cigars pose a challenge because they are more fragile, but we separate those into a humidified case of their own, or pay extra attention to them in the main humidor. There's really nothing that should prevent you from smoking a cigar with the haze on it, but it's visually unappealing. It often wipes of with ease. Perhaps your local B&M could use some help?
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
So here's the real deal: I've worked in 4 retail cigar stores and a cigar warehouse. All had humidification systems, some more effective than others. All have had issues with what I call "White Haze". The truth is that it happens almost everywhere. I've used reverse osmosis, water softening systems, charcoal filters, you name it. It just happens. It's just atomized water settling on cello/other surfaces. Good tobacconists recognize this and are attentive to their inventory and keep their product that is in cello wiped down every day. I am a stickler for it at the five stores I'm responsible for. Un-cello'd cigars pose a challenge because they are more fragile, but we separate those into a humidified case of their own, or pay extra attention to them in the main humidor. There's really nothing that should prevent you from smoking a cigar with the haze on it, but it's visually unappealing. It often wipes of with ease. Perhaps your local B&M could use some help?
This isn't TC but Tob Ex on 72. I've never heard anyone complain about their cigars as far as smoking them goes. They had some Anejo 55's from '10 that I was looking at and some Hemingway Classics from about '08. I only go in TC once a year (BIL's B'Day) and don't enjoy that very much. My man cave is 1/2 done so I should be set for a place to play cards in a month since KW has banned about any enjoyment you could have in his place.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
This isn't TC but Tob Ex on 72. I've never heard anyone complain about their cigars as far as smoking them goes. They had some Anejo 55's from '10 that I was looking at and some Hemingway Classics from about '08. I only go in TC once a year (BIL's B'Day) and don't enjoy that very much. My man cave is 1/2 done so I should be set for a place to play cards in a month since KW has banned about any enjoyment you could have in his place.
Im not sure what is sadder, what you said, or the fact that I understood all the abbreviations!
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Im not sure what is sadder, what you said, or the fact that I understood all the abbreviations!
Sadly for the cigar public of the Quad Cities, so did I. Started to make a response, but KW unworthy!!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
xxx_busa
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (0)
VR MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
xxx_busa is on a distinguished road

interesting - dry vapor............
xxx_busa is offline   Reply With Quote