Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #261
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
My God, what a game... Hard fought, well won. Nothing but respect for LSU, possibly with the exception of Les Miles who needs to be banned from calling special teams plays, he gave that game away.

Not that Alabama was any better, "Hmm third down, lets blitz with everyone and leave a man wide open downfield.". At one point I was yelling at my television "STOP BLITZING ON THIRD DOWN!". Every damn time, 20 yards, 30 yards, it was ridiculous. LSU was dominating us on both sides of the ball for most of the game, thank goodness for big plays.

That said, ROLL TIDE!
I would say almost the same thing, except I don't think I'd be as kind to Bama! The third down blitzing and leaving LSU players with 20 yard buffers????? I'm in a hotel, else I'd have been screaming at the TV also.

Michael, don't sweat it, bro. I too had Brad on ignore last year. Took him off 6 months ago, but I just don't respond to any of the "baiting" stuff Brad post. That's the easiest way.

The other person Brad has on ignore is NinjaVanish, which is a good thing for Brad, because Jeremy has a much better grasp on football than Brad does. So it's easier to ignore Jeremy than accept the imbalance in knowledge. Me, on the otherhand...... I'm really am just a redneck with limited knowledge, and hardly worth the effort of notice! And that really, really doesn't bother me..... Which I find tends to just make some people more upset!!!

Back to the game..... I give this loss squarely to Les Miles. But really, it was more down to luck. If any one of his gambles had paid off, LSU would have won. The team itself played probably their best game of the season. The LSU offense well outplayed the Bama offense.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #262
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
I'm game. I know LSU will lose, but I'll dip into my moderate stash and hook up a soldier.

Let's go LSU!
Send me your addy. LSU played one helluva a game. That deserves a little something, plus you were willing to step up.

However, you now owe the troops a fiver!!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #263
Bleez
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bleez
Trading: (26)
SCdlH
Bleez will become famous soon enough

Beautiful. That's what Bama needed. They needed to know that they aren't invincible. I can't stamp my ticket to Miami quite yet but that makes me feel a looooooooot better.

ROLL TIDE!!!
Bleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #264
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Tom, if you will send me you addy, I'd like to send you a few sticks for playing.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #265
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Well Said, Cliff! If The MadHatter Had Played Conservatively, They Would Have Won. Roll, Tide!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #266
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I would say almost the same thing, except I don't think I'd be as kind to Bama! The third down blitzing and leaving LSU players with 20 yard buffers????? I'm in a hotel, else I'd have been screaming at the TV also.

Michael, don't sweat it, bro. I too had Brad on ignore last year. Took him off 6 months ago, but I just don't respond to any of the "baiting" stuff Brad post. That's the easiest way.

The other person Brad has on ignore is NinjaVanish, which is a good thing for Brad, because Jeremy has a much better grasp on football than Brad does. So it's easier to ignore Jeremy than accept the imbalance in knowledge. Me, on the otherhand...... I'm really am just a redneck with limited knowledge, and hardly worth the effort of notice! And that really, really doesn't bother me..... Which I find tends to just make some people more upset!!!

Back to the game..... I give this loss squarely to Les Miles. But really, it was more down to luck. If any one of his gambles had paid off, LSU would have won. The team itself played probably their best game of the season. The LSU offense well outplayed the Bama offense.
I didn't realize I was being ignored. Didn't think I ever said anything negative about lsu other than the comments about mettenberger's mustache.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #267
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
I didn't realize I was being ignored. Didn't think I ever said anything negative about lsu other than the comments about mettenberger's mustache.
You didn't. But you offered logical, complete analysis last year, and that wasn't appreciated. Besides, Brad is a self-admitted "Bama hater" (his words), which apparently also extends to their fan base as individuals. Personally, I don't hate any fans. They have the right to root for their choices, and I'd expect them to be true to their schools like we are. The "hate" of another school kinda reminds me of high school sports!

BTW, where did you and K watch the game last night? Fox and Hound? Or was the BBQ last night?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #268
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
You didn't. But you offered logical, complete analysis last year, and that wasn't appreciated. Besides, Brad is a self-admitted "Bama hater" (his words), which apparently also extends to their fan base as individuals. Personally, I don't hate any fans. They have the right to root for their choices, and I'd expect them to be true to their schools like we are. The "hate" of another school kinda reminds me of high school sports!

BTW, where did you and K watch the game last night? Fox and Hound? Or was the BBQ last night?
We watched some of the 1st qtr at the BBQ. Then drove back to the hotel and watched the end of it here.

As far as being ignored goes, I guess I know who my next target is...
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #269
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I freely admit I have at times baited people here in a passive-aggressive manner.
I do try to never strike first. If anyone here is currently on my ignore list, it is
because you do the exact same thing but can't admit it here where people can read it.
In 2010 and 2011, I allowed myself to be entangled in arguments where the other party
used the same tactics I was using. Sort of an 'insult JUST to the edge of being moderated'
and then back off with the football player move of throwing their hands up in the air in a
'it wasn't me' move.

Today I ignore people who behave in that manner. A person cannot win, its quicksand.
So if I am ever mis-characterized as ignoring for one reason or another, you can read right
here why I do it. If someone ever tries to tell you that I ignore them and comes up with the
reasons that I do it, I hope people will refer to this and see that I laid it out freely on the table.

I got PMs quoting some things that were said from last night and today. I felt it was right
to clear the air.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #270
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Let's go back to talking about football, I for one don't care if anyone is ignoring anyone else or why.

Alabama looked terrible this week, honestly their defense was brutalized, it had a lot to do with the coaches refusing to admit LSU had a good quarterback (For one game at least.) and was passing quick enough to avoid the pass rush. Hopefully it won't take 200 yards for them to notice the blitz isn't working next time. LSU looked good, really good, just not quite good enough. They are going to obliterate Mississippi State.

A&M looked good too, getting through them is going to be hard, thankfully LSU smacked Bama around so they are unlikely to go in overconfident. I think Bama wins next week, not as soundly as against Miss St., but cleaner than the LSU game.

Wtf has happened to Florida? They fell apart vs Georgia and nearly lost to Mizzou? They looked like the best in the SEC a couple weeks ago...

Georgia has come alive, Bama will be playing them for the SEC championship unless both teams lose to Auburn, I find that unlikely. Georgia hasn't looked particularly good this year when facing quality opponents, if they play Bama they'd better do more than they did against Florida and USC. Then again Bama wasn't exactly impressive last night, could go either way.

Auburn beat somebody, I forget who, yay for Auburn I guess.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #271
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I will get some cigars out to the Troop supporters this week, Cliff, that was fun. Congrats to 'bama for staying undefeated.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #272
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Quote:
Let's go back to talking about football, I for one don't care if anyone is ignoring anyone else or why.

Alabama looked terrible this week, honestly their defense was brutalized, it had a lot to do with the coaches refusing to admit LSU had a good quarterback (For one game at least.) and was passing quick enough to avoid the pass rush. Hopefully it won't take 200 yards for them to notice the blitz isn't working next time. LSU looked good, really good, just not quite good enough. They are going to obliterate Mississippi State.

A&M looked good too, getting through them is going to be hard, thankfully LSU smacked Bama around so they are unlikely to go in overconfident. I think Bama wins next week, not as soundly as against Miss St., but cleaner than the LSU game.

Wtf has happened to Florida? They fell apart vs Georgia and nearly lost to Mizzou? They looked like the best in the SEC a couple weeks ago...

Georgia has come alive, Bama will be playing them for the SEC championship unless both teams lose to Auburn, I find that unlikely. Georgia hasn't looked particularly good this year when facing quality opponents, if they play Bama they'd better do more than they did against Florida and USC. Then again Bama wasn't exactly impressive last night, could go either way.

Auburn beat somebody, I forget who, yay for Auburn I guess.
I don't think Bama really played that badly, there were definitely some mistakes, but what really was the big difference was almost a matter of timing. Went sent blitzes on 3rd down almost everytime. And almost everytime we got there, just a second too late. Mettenberger's ability to ignore the blitz and get the ball out just ahead of a sack kept alabamas defense on the field. But despite converting all of those 3rd downs, bama was able to tighten up and eventually force a punt or a long fg on all but 3 drives. Lsu needed to capitalize on every opportunity to put points up, but due to some iffy play calling, they allowed to skilled opponent to stay within reach of victory.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #273
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
I don't think Bama really played that badly, there were definitely some mistakes, but what really was the big difference was almost a matter of timing. Went sent blitzes on 3rd down almost everytime. And almost everytime we got there, just a second too late. Mettenberger's ability to ignore the blitz and get the ball out just ahead of a sack kept alabamas defense on the field. But despite converting all of those 3rd downs, bama was able to tighten up and eventually force a punt or a long fg on all but 3 drives. Lsu needed to capitalize on every opportunity to put points up, but due to some iffy play calling, they allowed to skilled opponent to stay within reach of victory.
We won because of "iffy" play calling. That isn't the best our defense can do, we barely scraped by and I think it would have been a much cleaner win had we not been so predictable on third down the entire second half. LSU knew we were coming and acted accordingly. It's not that we played badly, and blitzing on 3rd isn't always lousy play calling, but being that predictable hurt us.

If not for that last offensive drive we would have lost, if Les Miles hadn't screwed up four plays we would have lost. We came within a hair of sending LSU to the SEC championship again and possibly excluding the SEC from the NC altogether. I don't think it would have happened if we had played a little more coverage, and a little less blitz, especially on 3rd down.

I also think we gave it to AJ a bit too much, he was obviously rattled and having an off night, thank god for that last drive, but the rest of the second half was awful. I'm no expert though and it's easy to say that after the fact.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #274
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I disagree with some of this, but just semantics in most places. In a lot of posts after the game,
people have said that bama blitzed too much, which is true. but bama got the scare of their season
much more because LSU ran the ball down their throats. LSU gashed bama whether they blitzed or not.
Mettenberger did get the ball out quick, but he also displayed a TON of guts, never once seeming to be
throwing off of his back foot. He looked into the teeth of the rush and threw the ball pretty effectively.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing. AMAZING CALM and AMAZING PERFROMANCE by that kid.

LSU lost because their coaching staff did not show enough faith in the game plan, just doing what
they needed to do. Stupid gadgets....it was almost as if Tracy Wolfson goaded him into going
back to that looney bin crap from 2-3 years ago. How utterly embarrassing for Les.

The prevent defense on the last drive cost them the game. That plus mcCarron obviously said in
the huddle, YOU WILL PROTECT, and for as long as you have to, you bastards. LSU was desperately
trying to claw their way to AJ, and he never got a scratch on that last drive. LSU lost because of
coaching decisions, and bama almost lost because of them. If you had just kept running the ball down
our throats, WE would have been the team that got gashed. We couldn't tackle all night. And then suddenly,
like they were throwing the game for a gambling debt, bama let off the gas. They went away from what was
working. Sure, halftime adjustments made a big difference, but SO MANY 3 and outs? It was starting
to embarass ME. It was something more, though. I DO believe that Saban and Miles are very similar. Sometimes
in big games they are too scared of some boogeyman in their minds to just coach. The measure of the best,
in the end though, is that Saban snaps out of it and coaches the end of the game. Les just looks shell-shocked.
If he wins a close one in the end, its because his players bail him out. If they lose, its because they COULDN'T.

One thing you can't do though is dwell on what might have been. That's why they play. If LSU had
simply played the last drive the way they played the whole game, you guys would be eating your
hats today....No way you win it. But you did. I was kind of shocked when Vern said "there is no
reason to think bama can pull it out on this last drive, if the previous 55 minutes are any indicator".
That's when I knew we were doomed.

Last edited by OLS; 11-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #275
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I freely admit I have at times baited people here in a passive-aggressive manner.
I do try to never strike first. If anyone here is currently on my ignore list, it is
because you do the exact same thing but can't admit it here where people can read it.
In 2010 and 2011, I allowed myself to be entangled in arguments where the other party
used the same tactics I was using. Sort of an 'insult JUST to the edge of being moderated'
and then back off with the football player move of throwing their hands up in the air in a
'it wasn't me' move.

Today I ignore people who behave in that manner. A person cannot win, its quicksand.
So if I am ever mis-characterized as ignoring for one reason or another, you can read right
here why I do it. If someone ever tries to tell you that I ignore them and comes up with the
reasons that I do it, I hope people will refer to this and see that I laid it out freely on the table.

I got PMs quoting some things that were said from last night and today. I felt it was right
to clear the air.
Hey guys, Brad is fully within his rights to ignore anyone he chooses. That's why CA has an ignore. It doesn't bother me, it does not keep me from reading his post. I guess I said something (or didn't say something) that hit under his skin in the past. I've been married 32 years, have two adult children. I get under their skins from time to time. That's just life. Many things anger me. I had major stress related health issues in my 20's because I let them anger me. Now I try not to let things bother me for more than a few days. It keeps my BP in check! Passive agressive? Hell, maybe. Not from a evil intent if so. Just who I am.

Look, for anyone that PM'd Brad, let it go. He is who he is, I'm who I am, no rules here (or in life) say we have to be friends! It doesn't bother me, it appears it doesn't bother him. So it shouldn't bother anyone else.

That being said, let's get back to SEC football

My side thought from the game.... I'm glad I'm not an LSU fan who was in Death Valley last night. I think the highs, lows and then the really highs, followed by a last minute crushing blow would have been on the rim of personal insanity. I know that for sure, because I have gone thru it with Bama with several coaches in a row, not too long ago!!! I don't think this means LSU is a worse team. I think they are the second best team in the country right now. I sincerely think LSU would mop the field with Kansas or Notre Dame if they played. Bama'QB had a bad half, LSU,s QB had a bad half. When both have a good total game, I doubt either could be beat. And playing each other with 100% QB preformance all game.... Just what we saw last night. The team with the final drive wins. We've all seen those games.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #276
OLS
Suck It

haha, LSU's QB didn't have a bad half. LSU's QB had a breakout game, maybe some bad THROWS while the jitters
were flowing, but he did fine most of the night and all with bama blitzers RIGHT in his grill. The Tigers out-played
bama in front of the whole SEC that cared to watch...bama won the game because they finally pulled their heads
out of their butts and because Saban is a great coach and McCarron has tremendous character. Worthy of the Heisman,
I doubt it. But he never got down and he led his team to victory. If he wins two BCS NCs, he will probably have
the inside track, but I am not so sure about his chances in REALITY. LSU's backs looked like the bulls at Pamploma
all night. Couldn't be prouder of the whole team. I think you are right about having the ball last, but it was more
than that. I said it before, but an offensive line that looked like they were beaten most of the night REALLY came
through when it counted. They are to be congratulated, THEY won that game for the tide.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #277
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

It's all for naught as Oregon is gonna roll whoever they play
Old 11-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #278
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
bwaaaaaaaaahhhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #279
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Uh, Whatever You Say, Mike!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #280
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Uh, Whatever You Say, Mike!
I am no Oregon fan but that offense is brutal.