Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Cowboy is actually good for grilling. It burns pretty hot, lasts just long enough and there's not much ash. I touch of chips and you get a nice finished product. For sure it is not for the smoker.
If it works for you that's great, but I'm hesitant to use it since it seems to be very poorly sorted recycled lumber. I know I once pulled a nail or two out of a bag of what was being sold as lump, and I'm pretty sure it was a bag of cowboy, but there is a small chance that it was another brand I wouldn't normally use (got caught somewhere and needed a bag, couldn't get what I wanted, so bought what they had).

I'm also not big on adding chips when grilling if I can avoid it. Just a personal preference really. Much rather have a nice clean hot fire/coals, plenty of flavor there if the wood was good. Cowboy seems to have very little flavor.

Personally, I'd go with Royal Oak brand lump for a quick grill if I can't get or don't want the Lazzari mesquite - I can get it at any wal-mart (at least out here), burns nice, has good flavor, and it's not made from kiln-dried scrap and recycled junk.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #222
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If it works for you that's great, but I'm hesitant to use it since it seems to be very poorly sorted recycled lumber.

I'm also not big on adding chips when grilling if I can avoid it. Just a personal preference really. Much rather have a nice clean hot fire/coals, plenty of flavor there if the wood was good. Cowboy seems to have very little flavor.
I think Cowboy is flooring scraps from the Factory, so there should be no nails. I get some Brazilian charcoal locally that is nice for grilling but is a pain to get going.

I do not add chips when grilling except for Alder when needed. Just throwing the idea out there if you wanted more smoke
Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #223
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I think Cowboy is flooring scraps from the Factory, so there should be no nails. I get some Brazilian charcoal locally that is nice for grilling but is a pain to get going.

I do not add chips when grilling except for Alder when needed. Just throwing the idea out there if you wanted more smoke
As I said, not 100% sure it was cowboy that I found the nail in.

Regardless, cowboy is still flavorless junk made from kiln dried scrap to me and I won't use it (and judging by commentary a number of places elsewhere, that seems to be a fairly comment sentiment). I can get better for less money elsewhere.

And Lazzari is never a problem since their entire operations is right out here in the bay area. You used to be able to, and I believe you still can, just drive up to the factory and buy in bulk (like shovel the stuff into the bed of a pickup truck bulk) at a very low rate. You used to even be able to get some woods that they don't distribute commercially, or only very limited distro.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #224
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Shoveling charcoal is like a dream! Wow.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #225
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Probably the last cold night in town so I started a fire and smoked some chicken quarters fireside with the last of my oak logs...with SmokinGators rub.

tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #226
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

You guys are killin me!

I really need to clean mine out and cook something...
Old 02-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #227
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxpuff View Post

Wow, now that is doing it old school! Did you just leave it there or constantly turn it? What about a drip pan? Was that indoors?

I have seen fireplaces with chickens or wound cord spinning in front of the fire, but not this!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #228
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

It's indoors. I turn it every 5 minutes or so....or when I hear it sizzling too much. It's pretty easy to find good temperature spots. No drip pan either...at the end I just cover up the grease areas with the ash...soaks it right up. It turns out pretty darn good I must say!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #229
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Anyone ever smoked chicken drumsticks, like used in hot wings? Any tips or recipes if you have would be cool.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #230
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Anyone ever smoked chicken drumsticks, like used in hot wings? Any tips or recipes if you have would be cool.
SmokinGator posted a recipe...I've tried them and they are terrific!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20093
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #231
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxpuff View Post
SmokinGator posted a recipe...I've tried them and they are terrific!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20093
He beat me to it...

(btw, just a word to the wise, anytime Brent (SmokinGator) posts a recipe, it's well worth trying out )
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #232
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

That is a great recipe. But he used real wings for that, will little drumsticks work too? Probably just less time to cook. Hmmm
Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #233
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Do you mean smoke drumsticks and coat them as if they were chicken hot wings?

You can do it, but they won't be much like hot wings - too large and the meat is a stronger flavor, is much tougher, has more connective tissue that needs to break down plus it's greasy to boot. The attraction to hot wings is because because they are small (high sauce & crisped skin to meat ratio), have a very clean flavor, rather tender, have very little connective tissues that need a long cook to break down, so they can be cooked and crisped quickly.

Gator's recipe for smoked wings is kick-ass:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=wings
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #234
kydsid
Ditat Deus

No I mean drumsticks the same size as you would get from Hooters or any other restaurant when you order hot wings. They were on sale at the store last night. 50 of em for $2.50.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #235
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
No I mean drumsticks the same size as you would get from Hooters or any other restaurant when you order hot wings. They were on sale at the store last night. 50 of em for $2.50.
Those aren't drumsticks, those are drumettes. A drumstick is the upper part of the leg, the drumette is the fleshy inner (proximal or "upper") part of the wing. Gator's recipe will do wonders with those.

Damn nice price BTW...
Old 02-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #236
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:

We knew what you meant.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #237
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

OK, looks like a great recipe, only one question. What kind of weight are we talking about here? 2-3 pounds? And if one wants to do more than that, do I increase initial smoking time from 2.5 hours to ____?
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #238
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
In general, no one "smokes chicken". but they cook chicken in smokers. 225 is not enough to get the skin crispy. Ok, after the technical difference, I just crank the smoker up to 350+ and use the same recipes as would be in an oven.

I like to buy chicken quarters and remove the thigh bone so I have a real meaty drummy. I mix crushed garlic, oregano, curry powder, paprika, salt & pepper, and olive oil into a very thin paste. Stuff paste under the skin and baste a little on the outside. Throw in smoker until done
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #239
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
OK, looks like a great recipe, only one question. What kind of weight are we talking about here? 2-3 pounds? And if one wants to do more than that, do I increase initial smoking time from 2.5 hours to ____?
Doesn't matter what the weight is, cooking / smoking time is the same regardless because the size / individual weight of the pieces being cooked isn't changing, just the quantity being cooked is changing. Just as long as there is some space around them and you keep the pit temperature at the recommended settings, nothing changes.

Unless you have them crammed in there like sardines - in which case you will need more time, and the contact will prevent the smoke from flavoring; although most likely, you'll just burn the outside wings and have raw ones at the center of the pile.

Last edited by T.G; 02-26-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #240
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

SmokinGators smoked wings again. Didn't have stuff for the dry rub after the cooking so just threw it in some wet hot sauce...not as tasty as the dry but still darn good.