Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road
Default Skunks in my yard! What to do

So I just took my dog for a walk and very unusual for him he went to go run into a bush. I pulled him back only to see something scurry into the bush. Figuring it was a squirrel I thought nothing of it. As we walked out of the gate I noticed a white patch running in the yard, and than a very large white patch running along side it. Than saw a small skunk a few houses down.

I live in a small NYC suburb, not rural in the slightest, and I've never really had to deal with anything like this. Does anybody have experience with a skunk problem? Any Suggestions?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Skunks in my yard! What to do

BB gun
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Remmington 870 express with 3 1/2 mags.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Contact animal control first. Some species of skunk are endangered, so killing one is a federal felony.

Skunks can be trapped and tranquilized (to prevent spraying) easily, and removed to another location more appropriate for their living. They don't really like pepper, mothballs, or ammonia, so there are tons of age old recipes you can cook up and spray around your yard to keep them away.

Considering the discharge of a firearm within a city, incorporated area, or residential area is typically a crime of some form, I would not recommend attempting to eliminate it yourself.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
Remmington 870 express with 3 1/2 mags.
This.

It depends who you live around, we are in the city and took out a few skunks. No one said a word. It was probably 10PM and about 5-6 shotgun blasts went off, no one came or ever bothered us.

Our neighbors were happy to be rid of the pests. We just bagged them up in black garbage bags.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Richard
Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough

They are all over the place.They are not dangerous except for the stank of course.They will not generally spray unless they are seriously threatened.They are mostly nocturnal.They love cat and dog food,and people who feed cats and dogs outside inadvertantly call them in. They will also help themselves to garbage left where they can get into it. They like the worms and grubs that live on most peoples lawns.Most of the time they are all around us and we never even know that they are there. They can carry rabies (as can any mammal) although it is rare. Be careful walking your dog without a leash. If you encounter one,move slowly away and they will usually not bother you. The smell is super nasty if spayed at close range. If the dog gets sprayed,ther are commercially available products that can remove the smell. (Skunk-off)etc. Or the following recipe is very effective
1 quart hydogen peroxide (3%)
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid dish detergent.
Do not get mixture in animals eyes, Mix and apply mixture in a bucket and apply outside.Rinse with water and repeat.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Richard
Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough

Dont even bother with tomato juice,as it does nothing but cover the smell.
Skunks are cool animals and remove many pests like grubs and other bugs. It is very common to encounter them in urban areas espescially at night. They can be removed by trapping with a live catch type trap but it is tricky to not get sprayed. They often spray after being shot, so be careful. Probably a good idea to defer trapping or other removal to professionals.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

You have to shoot them before they spray. Even if they do it's only in the air so it goes away after a bit. It can be easier with 2 people and 2 shotguns so the skunks are pretty much instantly killed. That avoids the spray for sure.

Basically we had them trapped as they crawled into plastic piping underground so we covered it and at night tossed a light on it and once they crawled out they were hit with 2 different shotguns 2-3 times each. When they are dead they really don't smell that bad.

If you've got a 22 Walther rifle you can just go for a quick and clean headshot. We had a neighbor do that as well. Makes virtually no noise and no chance for spraying as it was from a distance of about 50+ feet. That you can do during the day too if you catch them out and about.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Actually - skunks rank right at the top along with raccoons on the list for rabid animals here on the east coast to include New York City.

Several years ago had a rabid raccoon at my house here. The wife called animal control and they said it's probably just looking for food. I told her to tell them it was rabid (listless, hissing, slow moving, etc) and they said they would send someone out in about an hour. My wife said to them, "Take your time, my husband has his pistol out is going to take care it." Within two minutes I had two of Fairfax County's finest flying into the court. So I put my Sig away at let them baby sit it until Animal Control arrived.

Animal Control came back the next day to confirm it was rabid and tried to take my two dogs to quarantine them - which ended up with me losing my drivers license - but that's a story for a different day.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Animal Control came back the next day to confirm it was rabid and tried to take my two dogs to quarantine them - which ended up with me losing my drivers license - but that's a story for a different day.

Ron

Come down to LA one day with that story, drinks and sticks are on me
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Contact animal control first. Some species of skunk are endangered, so killing one is a federal felony.

Skunks can be trapped and tranquilized (to prevent spraying) easily, and removed to another location more appropriate for their living. They don't really like pepper, mothballs, or ammonia, so there are tons of age old recipes you can cook up and spray around your yard to keep them away.

Considering the discharge of a firearm within a city, incorporated area, or residential area is typically a crime of some form, I would not recommend attempting to eliminate it yourself.
I'm with Silound Chris. They can be easily trapped and transported to another area to be released. In our HOA community here in Valencia, we were having a dense concentration of skunks (and gas). HOA mgmt simply called a company with experience in trapping skunks, and the problem was resolved. A decent size cage is placed out in the area where skunks are seen with an open can of cat food. Next day, skunk is trapped inside and wisked away to another area. Issue resolved