Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #21
bigliver
Cigarmurai

First Name: Jason
Trading: (9)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
bigliver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fresh start with Scotch/Whiskey and single malt

I personally am not a fan of any of the Johnny Walker labels, or the brothers Glen as I call them (Glenfiddich and/or Glenlivet and/or Glenmorangie). I pretty much stay stocked with Balvenie and Lagavulin. Not too pricey, but excellent flavors that are very different from each other.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 AM   #22
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigliver View Post
You must not know many scotch drinkers.
I really don't... I know me, 2 of my buddies, and 2 of my dad's friends who drink scotch. All of them use ice in different amounts. Most use just 1 cube, they say it brings out the flavors more. I use 2... I dunno. Warm scotch tastes weird to me, but then again I am still rather new to scotch.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 AM   #23
bigliver
Cigarmurai

First Name: Jason
bigliver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I really don't... I know me, 2 of my buddies, and 2 of my dad's friends who drink scotch. All of them use ice in different amounts. Most use just 1 cube, they say it brings out the flavors more. I use 2... I dunno. Warm scotch tastes weird to me, but then again I am still rather new to scotch.
I kid. I kid.

Try having a glass of ice water near by and leave the ice out of the scotch. It was a change for me when I started not drinking something cold, especially having moved from beer. The ice water blast every once in a while did the trick. I still do this at times during the summer months. Note...don't chase the scotch with the ice water...this kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #24
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
If you're going to put it on the rocks you might as well just stick with something cheap
and not worry about "tasting" anything else.
Snob Alert, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #25
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Definitely drink it neat. I am still new to scotch but I enjoy Balvenie 12 DW and Glenlivet 12, but I am not a fan of JW. Check your liquor store....I was able to find a few nips (Glenlivet 12, JW, and Glenfiddich 12).

Last edited by jmsremax; 12-29-2010 at 06:36 AM.
jmsremax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #26
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

There is a huge difference between a small cube of ice (or a small dash of water) and "on the rocks"
Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #27
ATobin
El Nino

Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
ATobin is on a distinguished road

It's all shooter's preference, try new brands served differently (neat, drop, cube etc) until you find what you like. A 375ML bottle is a good size for taste testing many different brands without breaking the bank. Depending on your store, sometimes these are behind the counter so don't be afraid to ask.
ATobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #28
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Snob Alert, lol.

I guess that is ok with me.

I'm not saying don't drink it on the rocks. Just if you do drink it on the rocks don't worry so much about what you are drinking.

A good single malt on the rocks is like a filet mignon that is well done and smothered with ketchup. Or taking a premium hand rolled cigar, ripping up the whole thing, and mixing it with cigarette tobacco, then rolling it zig zags.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #29
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
The scotch thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1029) has been an excellent source of information.
That's a great thread, but this one (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ghlight=scotch) is also fantastic. It really helped point me in the right direction as I was first learning about Scotch.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
Tredegar
Sing along with me

Tredegar is on a distinguished road

I am also fairly new to scotch and have found out that too much ice will ruin a good scotch. I now like to put in one cube maybe two. Any more than that it thins the scotch out to the point that it loses most of its flavor. Right now I am drinking:

Glenmorangie 12 year old Nectar D'Or
Longmorn 15 Year Old
Tredegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #31
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

I would start with the following short list - these are all very common, and have enough variety to give you a good starting point - and do try them in bar before buying bottles:

Glenlivet 12
Macallan 12
Oban 14
Lagavulin 16

It's also a short enough list to be manageable
Old 12-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #32
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

A good friend and fellow BOTL and I had the chance to go out last night and get some food, smoke some cigars, and enjoy some scotch. I had Johnny Gold and Noah's Mill. Both were very good. I was impressed how much I enjoyed them.

So today he stops over and surprises me with a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10. He was flying back home today, so it will be a while before I see him again, but I can't wait for us to get together and sample these bottles and some sticks.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road

Noah's Mill is one great bourbon. Ardbeg is peat ass rape, but really awesome Islay. The Laphroaig is a great Islay as well. The Ardbeg is more complex then the Laphroaig imo. But man you starting out with some heavy hitters. I remember my first Laphroaig experience and I was like "Damn dude did I taste fish...wtf?!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
I would start with the following short list - these are all very common, and have enough variety to give you a good starting point - and do try them in bar before buying bottles:

Glenlivet 12
Macallan 12
Oban 14
Lagavulin 16

It's also a short enough list to be manageable
I would add Cragganmore 12, and Highland Park 12 =) great list.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #34
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

Picked up some new bottles to try:

Auchentoshen three wood
Macallan 12
Glenlivet 12

Can't wait to crack 'em open and see what they have to offer.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #35
RichardW
Committed

Trading: (10)
Partagas
RichardW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

[snip]

That being said, don't look to the johnny red as being representative of good scotch. I think the stuff is barely palatable. Others may disagree, obviously. For a blended scotch in the same price range as the johnny red, I prefer dewars white label. For a better blend, try Chivas or Dewars 12. For intros into single malt, try the glenlivet 12 and macallan 12. I think you can find the little bottles of each at a decent liquor store. These are highland scotches. I'd start there before moving onto the islays, which have a stronger flavor a scotch novice may not like.

One of the nice things about scotch, like cigars, is that someone else may read my post and completely disagree with what I've written. Good luck and enjoy.
what he said ...
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #36
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (4)
Frodo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
1. Is there is solid source of information (website) that is rather comprehensive when it comes to Scotch and single malts?

2. Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells a single malt sampler? I would like to get some small 50ml bottles as a taster before I start buying bottles.

And other than the above questions, does anyone have any general recommendations, information, etc that they would be happy to share with a Scotch newb. I look forward to diving into this world as much as I enjoy the cigar world.
Hi Drew:

1) The two biggest on-line forums are www.whishkywhiskywhisky.com and www.whiskymag.com with a ton of blogs out there. Wouldn't know where to start with the blogs - just google and start looking.

2) Not sure of on-line retailers in the US. But what I understand about 50ml bottlings is that most come in sets that illustrate a line with its extentions (ie. 4 Glenmorangies, Glenfiddich 12, 15 & 18, the 6 "Classic Malts" by Diagio etc.). I think getting these would be cheaper than going to a bar but only a few malts are bottled at 50 ml.

3) Try a dram before buying a bottle. Try it at a bar if you have to but don't just plonk down your coin because a review said it was good. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible is a really comprehensive tool when thinking about buying a dram at a store. A ton of whiskies tasted and reviewed.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #37
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Here is a little info to start you out..........http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/

remove the "H" from the first "whisky and try again......

Blended whisky is not worth the time to try. Springbank, Longrow, Highland Park, Dalwhinnie, Talisker, Clynelish, Scapa, Glenturret, all are top whiskies. A few drops of water open up the aromas and flavors in good whisky,use pure water.

All of the Islay brands are excellent,but are peaty and phenolic,they take time to appreciate.

Avoid any deeply colored whisky less than 20 years old,it has been adulterated to appear deeper.

Higher proof equals more flavor and complexity and of course more $$$$.....

Gordon & Macphail and Cadenhead are just two purveyors to try if you want sample mini's of single malts.

Celtic Whisky used to be a good source in Germany,see if Otto is still there........
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #38
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
A good friend and fellow BOTL and I had the chance to go out last night and get some food, smoke some cigars, and enjoy some scotch. I had Johnny Gold and Noah's Mill. Both were very good. I was impressed how much I enjoyed them.

So today he stops over and surprises me with a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10. He was flying back home today, so it will be a while before I see him again, but I can't wait for us to get together and sample these bottles and some sticks.
I love both of those! I only drink the peaty Islay stuff, the others bore me. Can't wait to hang out at CigarExplorer and sip some scotch with you!
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote