Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
TheRealBonger
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Eric
Trading: (0)
TheRealBonger is on a distinguished road
Default Wife wants a guitar

My wife is interested in taking some lessons with the guitar. She has been looking for tips on good beginner guitars, we are mainly shopping on craigslist for a good deal. If she likes it and sticks with it we will upgrade later. Any guitar players here have an opinion on what guitars to look at?

Thanks,
Eric
TheRealBonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Riff Raff
Habitual Offender

First Name: Bill
Trading: (11)
Montecristo Navy (Served With Honor)
Riff Raff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wife wants a guitar

Electric or Acoustic? It is easier to learn on an electric guitar because you don't have to press as hard on the guitar strings. However, if you learn on an acoustic, it helps build up hand strength!

The real trick is the buy what you can afford, or what you are willing to give up if she decides not to pursue it any further. You can always upgrade later it she is really into it. Reselling an expensive guitar and recouping your losses is a pain and doubtful.

You may also want to check local pawn shops. I don't recommend buying a guitar that you haven't played. Even for a beginner. You need to feel comfortable when you play. If you don't, you won't want to play as often.

HTH!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

Along with Riff Raff, I would recommend starting on an acoustic guitar. You can find good ones, relatively inexpensive. I would highly recommend Yamaha acoustic. They're good beginner guitars that don't cast a fortune. Make sure that whatever you get is a solid top.

If she absolutely wants to go with electric, fender makes a decent, inexpensive electric, as does Epiphone.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Riff Raff
Habitual Offender

First Name: Bill
Trading: (11)
Montecristo Navy (Served With Honor)
Riff Raff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine View Post
Along with Riff Raff, I would recommend starting on an acoustic guitar. You can find good ones, relatively inexpensive. I would highly recommend Yamaha acoustic. They're good beginner guitars that don't cast a fortune. Make sure that whatever you get is a solid top.

If she absolutely wants to go with electric, fender makes a decent, inexpensive electric, as does Epiphone.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
TheRealBonger
Still Watching My Back

Sorry, hadn't have my morning coffee yet she wants an acoustic. I appreciate the opinions and thoughts on this. We have been to a couple pawn shops looking, but it is difficult to make a decision when I do not know much about them. Thanks again for some new ideas.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Post up a couple of the ones from criagslist you are considering.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Post up a couple of the ones from criagslist you are considering.
Right that would help and we can give you are 2 cents worth.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat as your wife a months ago. I wanted to learn how to play an acoustic guitar. However, after trying several guitars, I ended buying an electric guitar to learn on. I bought the cheapest Ibanez the store had. Made learning a lot easier.

If she insist on an acoustic, I would get her one of the smaller 3/4 scale guitars (little martin, baby taylor etc) and have the action adjusted (not sure if that is the correct term).
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...coustic+guitar
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

I echo the comments on the Yamaha acoustic, a great beginner's guitar. Electrics are easier to play, but they need to be plugged in and can be more of a hassle if you're just trying to play some chords and strum.

Another great option is to find a Taylor Big Baby. Gorgeous sounding little guitars that don't cost too much. As mentioned above though, take your guitar to a professional shop, even a guitar center is fine, and have the guitar "set up" professionally. It'll cost about $30 but they'll adjust the action and the neck and everything and it makes the guitar much better to play.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

Trading: (22)
RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the Taylor Big Baby, for the price you can't beat the sound it produces, Also, noteworthy is the Martin LX1. Personally I prefer the Martin tone. Many professional level artists still keep one around as a backup guitar.

One cool factor that may or may not sway your decision is checking out who else plays the instruments. My brother and I go back and forth bragging about which of our favorite artists ally with our guitar brand of choice. (Martin for me, Taylor for him) Although you arent buying an artist quality instrument, Brands usually tend to have similar tonal characteristics, and if there is an artist that she wants to emulate, it brings a new kind of connection to the instrument while emulating the tone of an instrument she aspires to replicate.

I would recommend avoiding Ovation acoustics. The plastic body, although extremely durable, feels cheap, sounds cheap, and is awkwardly shaped, so to me, they are uncomfortable to play.

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
s0leful0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Here is a "just fine" beginner's acoustic. I bought one of these for my daughter because I didn't want to sink money into a whim, which it turned out to be. I inherited this guitar. Now I use it as my "banger"...traveling, camping, layin' on the couch etc. It has good action and a decent tone. Best of all, it's UNDER $100 'Nuff said.

Would I use this to perform? No. But that's not what you're looking for.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
Here is a "just fine" beginner's acoustic. I bought one of these for my daughter because I didn't want to sink money into a whim, which it turned out to be. I inherited this guitar. Now I use it as my "banger"...traveling, camping, layin' on the couch etc. It has good action and a decent tone. Best of all, it's UNDER $100 'Nuff said.

+1 The Jasmine is a nice guitar. Spend the $30 or $40 bucks to get it professionally setup and you will have an excellent student guitar.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
TheRealBonger
Still Watching My Back

Thanks for all of the advice. Definitely taking a look at the Jasmine, and will also post any craigslist ads that are enticing. I knew I could count on the asylum for some sound advice
Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
adampc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBonger View Post
My wife is interested in taking some lessons with the guitar. She has been looking for tips on good beginner guitars, we are mainly shopping on craigslist for a good deal. If she likes it and sticks with it we will upgrade later. Any guitar players here have an opinion on what guitars to look at?

Thanks,
Eric
http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/ check thos out mate its who i use
Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
adampc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post

man i loveeeeeeeeeeeeee Takamine
Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
dric112

If you can find a Fender DG series, its a great little guitar to learn on and is pretty inexpensive. You should get your wife to play around with guitars with different widths to the necks and see what she is comfortable with. I would also second the "set up" but only if she is actually going to play it. Let her play for a month or two first, then take it in to get "set up." Sure, it might only be $30-40, but I know too many people who wanted to learn, bought a guitar, played for a day or two and decided it "had to be set up right" only to have their desire to play fade with a new fad in the two or so days it took for a guy at a guitar shop to get to it. After she plays on it for a month or two and wears out the crappy strings it comes with, bring it in for the "set up." Itll get great new strings and sound like a much better guitar with an improved action. I've found that "new sound" keeps people's interest pretty well because they come back to playing and it sounds better than they remembered, making them think they have improved.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #18
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I had a Fender F230 (?) and a Yamaha acoustics and a Taylor, (now its a Larivee) they were pretty good. That Jasmine looks interesting for under a 100. My thought is to

A-get the Jasmine as it's got good reviews and it's cheap
B-Throw some very light guage strings on there .010's or .011's Elixer's
C-get a easy to use accurate tuner, I think the clip ons are the best and easy to use
D-Get her a lesson or two or maybe just a book

There you go cheap, easy, your all set. I used to give lessons what a great way to earn $$.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #19
TheRealBonger
Still Watching My Back

Awesome advice inmates , definitely looking at the Jasmine. Might have to make that a surprise Valentines. 2 birds, 1 stone I will keep everyone posted with the final decision
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

You should be able to pick up a Jasmine at just about any local guitar shop. They might discount the set-up if you pay for it initially, but bring it back the following week so that you can present it on the big day.

Also, that guitar comes in a satin finish that I personally really like.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote