Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Hardcz

Default Seriously... Moka Confusion

So I'm reading... fill the basket of a mokapot fully... fill it to over flowing... don't fill it all the way. Then in every combination with above you should and should not tamp, some say tamp it somewhat hard, some say soft, some say just enough to level it out...no real pressure... some say tamping is the devil.... heat on high, heat on medium...hell heat on low. But wait there's more. Heat the water before you connect everything... And make sure you tighten the top and bottom very tight... or not...very loosely... well kind of tight but not very... or really?

I've read threads, read instructions, watched videos... it's enough to make me give up coffee and go straight for the vodka.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Seriously... Moka Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
I've read threads, read instructions, watched videos... it's enough to make me give up coffee and go straight for the vodka.
You've got it now, Grasshopper.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

I gently fill mine to a slight cone/mound and then screw the cap back on. This packs it down nicely for me, but not as firmly as an espresso.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

There are only two people in this world you should be listening to about a moka pot. Everything else is just filler.

Seriously if you have a cup at the end that taste good to you than you have made a moka pot. To make it do the extreme of what the pot can handle than you have graduated. This can't be accomplished with out a good burr grinder, a grinder that gives of to much fines will throw results off.

Packing, whether you tamp, pile high, or tap the filler basket to compress are all doing the same thing, getting more grind in the basket. This is nowhere near tamping for espresso which wants 30lbs of pressure.

Last edited by germantown rob; 04-14-2009 at 05:07 AM.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You've got it now, Grasshopper.
Vodka - Seriously. You're the only one here with an hourly search scheduled for instances of "vodka." THAT is the kind of commitment that makes you great!

Moka - Seriously. Carefully review this Italian "How to" moka web site. It's all there except the details.

http://www.caffeina.org/caffe/inglese/01.htm

I have one recommended deviation from this step - I fill, tap and lightly tamp the filterbasket BEFORE putting it into the lower pot. This keeps coffeegrounds from getting into the threads on the lower. dn

Last edited by Mister Moo; 04-14-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Vodka - Seriously. You're the only one here with an hourly search scheduled for instances of "vodka." THAT is the kind of commitment that makes you great!
I am VERY serious about my Vodka, Dan.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote