Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #4241
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Smoked the pastrami yesterday and I'm putting the rub together for the wings today. Just pulled the wife's brownies from the oven and will be making salted carmel ice cream to go with them. I'm heading out to see if I can find some beers from Colorado and Washington for a little tasting during the game.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #4242
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Got a 7 quart crock pot full of pulled pork. Can't wait til game time.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #4243
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Smoking in the rain

IMG_20140202_110755 by kydsid, on Flickr
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #4244
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

making homemade bacon right now.

9.87 pounds of porkbelly.

1/3 in a 1 set salt cure with cracked black pepper
1/3 is a 1.5 set salt cure with cracked black pepper
1/3 in a maple brown sugar salt cure

cured them for a week and then started up the smoker about an hour ago. lots of good applewood smoke surrounding the belly.

situated on the smoker.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #4245
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

That looks awesome. So you're smoking at 190 grate temp?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #4246
GTsetGO
those were the droids

Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

]

Started at 190 for the initial smoke and then brought it up to 225.

Resting post smoke
Posted via Mobile Device
GTsetGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #4247
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

The pastrami turned out really well. Need to tone down the spiciness of the rub and slice it thinner, but it was really tasty.

tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #4248
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Super Bowl ribs ...

Old 02-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #4249
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Tom, that pastrami looks fantastic. So do the ribs Vin. Too damn cold here to smoke and too much snow/rain. I have heard of people smoking bacon, but never tried that Rob. Now I have to! Awesome looking. Thanks for sharing; now I'm drooling and dying for some smokalicious pig candy.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #4250
GTsetGO
those were the droids

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Tom, that pastrami looks fantastic. So do the ribs Vin. Too damn cold here to smoke and too much snow/rain. I have heard of people smoking bacon, but never tried that Rob. Now I have to! Awesome looking. Thanks for sharing; now I'm drooling and dying for some smokalicious pig candy.
i will never buy store bought bacon again. this stuff is just too darned good.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #4251
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Got around to this LATE, these got smoked weeks ago, et, too. But they got lost on a flash drive.

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #4252
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I am now in the possession of two Boston Butts and one Picnic roast. I'm trying to put together a herf at my place so I'm thinking I'll smoke them on the Friday night prior so they'll be ready to eat Saturday for the herf. Need to pick a date, but I'm waiting to hear back from my local guys.

Also, I haven't posted any pics but in November I was smoking quite a but of poultry. I did some chicken leg quarters, thighs, and a whole 13 lb turkey. All came out fantastic. I have quite a bit of leg quarters left in the freezer for next time as well. After how good they came out I grab more whenever they go on sale. It's hard to beat $0.75/lb.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #4253
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I was smoking quite a but of poultry. I did some chicken leg quarters, thighs, and a whole 13 lb turkey. All came out fantastic. I have quite a bit of leg quarters left in the freezer for next time as well. After how good they came out I grab more whenever they go on sale. It's hard to beat $0.75/lb.
These days chicken is like frickin STEAK, but you CAN catch it on sale. I love to smoke legs and wings and
OVER-cook em so that they turn to smoked paste on the bone, lol. From time to time I will cook em to done
only, and I like it that way too. THIGHS are particularly good, especially with the skin crisped after smoking.
I need to STOP smoking pork and go back to chicken. But I get such good deals on freaking Baby backs.
I only have so much freezer space.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #4254
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I wish I could get ANY kind of ribs for a decent price. The best you can find around here is $1.99/lb for pork spare ribs, and that's hard to find. Baby Back are always more expensive. I'd do brisket again if I could justify the cost. Best I can find that for is about $4/lb. Ribs are the one popular meat I've yet to smoke. I've done chuckies, brisket, pork shoulder, turkey, and chicken.

Brad, your post about cutting your pork shoulder into smaller pieces so you get more bark is very interesting. I LOVE the flavor I got in the bark on my pork shoulders but it is limited. The larger the cut, the less bark you get per pound. Do you have any suggestions on what shape/size to cut them into? I'm considering trying your method on my next smoke.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #4255
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
The larger the cut, the less bark you get per pound. Do you have any suggestions on what shape/size to cut them into? I'm considering trying your method on my next smoke.
You have to let the bone decide for the most part. I just start on one side and start cutting left to right in
about 2.5 inch slabs. When I encounter a bone, I try to slice down to it but I do not make too big of an
effort to skin it off the bone, since the bone really aids in cooking. But I do try to get consistent slabs,
so sometimes I do have to try and remove the meat from a bone area. There is no rule for doing it right,
it really comes down to how thick a smoke ring you can create and and how that makes you decide to
portion out the cuts. But I like 2.5 inches because if it gets to be ALL bark, you end up NOT having the
juicy benefit....I guess.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #4256
Will herf for food

VR

2.5 inch slabs is a good enough guide, Thanks Brad. This begs another question though. I assume this cut down on total cook time quite a bit. Any idea how much?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #4257
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
2.5 inch slabs is a good enough guide, Thanks Brad. This begs another question though. I assume this cut down on total cook time quite a bit. Any idea how much?
I really couldn't say, I do not use thermometers...when it looks done I pull it, or when I get tired of
making sure the coals are replenished. Cain't hep ya there. You could probably shave 30-45 mins...
Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #4258
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Cold smoke 4 chubs of Nduja salami. It's a cured, spreadable sausage that's uses a boatload of paprika, both hot and sweet.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #4259
OLS
Suck It

I have a chicken thawing, a couple of thick sirloin steaks cut up for jerky ($2.50) and I might thaw something else.
Krowgur had whole chickens on sale this week, they priced out at about $4.35 each, the 6 I bought. SO USEFUL! So
delicious.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #4260
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Sounds good OLS! I always stock up when chickens go on sale. Smoke a couple and put the meat in the freezer, save the bones from stock.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote