Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #21
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: whats the most reliable lighter?

I prefer a match but I also like my zippo. When it comes to a torch lighter, I go with my xikar or my ronson.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #22
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
I have a Lotus light that I got from my father-in-law who really introduced me to how to slow down and truly enjoy a cigar. I also have a zippo with the butane insert for it that has been pretty reliable. Also my father-in-law has been using Xikar lighters and cutter for as long as I have known him (at least five years) and he hasn't had any problems with some that he has had for way longer then I have known him. Just remember you get what you pay for.
Sorry, gotta disagree on this one when it comes to butane torches. I've been smoking cigars for over 15 yrs now and have several 80 and 100 dollar torches that clog every other refill no matter how clean the butane or how precise the purge process is. They are mostly colibri name brand as well. However like many have mentioned here and in other threads, the 2 - 4 dollar ronson is one of the absolute most reliable lighters you can get as well as one of the cheapest. I have a Xikar that I also really enjoy, however the double flame goes through too much butane for my liking when I'm smoking smaller ring gauges.

Pick one up if you get the chance and give it a shot. You may be very surprised.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #23
sammyboy405
Cigar & Beer Geek

First Name: Sammy
Trading: (3)
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
sammyboy405 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I prefer a match but I also like my zippo. When it comes to a torch lighter, I go with my xikar or my ronson.
Really? Now see Ive been told by Many people to Never use a Zippo style lighter with a Cigar. They said it Ruins the Flavor?

Ive always wanted to buy a zippo, but I keep getting warned away?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #24
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Either stick with disposable "BIC's" or go for a Dunhill-Davidoff-Dupont.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #25
jonan

i absolutely LOVE my dupont line 2...had it for 3 years and it has never failed me...i use it at least two to three times a day and still on the original flint!! holds a TON of gas and go about 3 months before refilling...
Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #26
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have a Bugatti lighter, single flame. Pick it up on CI for $20. Can find cheap if looked for. Tough lighter with a two hole punch.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #27
bishjd123
Have a Smoke and a Smile

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (16)
bishjd123 is on a distinguished road

Ronson. A 3-4 dollar lighter with great reliability. I've been using my for over a year without any problems.
bishjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #28
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishjd123 View Post
Ronson. A 3-4 dollar lighter with great reliability. I've been using my for over a year without any problems.
I buy them when I find them in Wallyworld. Best $3 you can spend.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #29
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Ronson Jet-Lite is the most reliable I have used and only $3 when you can find them at the Walmart which is getting very difficult to do, but last time they had a load I bought a dozen just in case I live a long time. Lots of nicer, fancier, more ergonomic, prettier, more expensive, larger flame, and on and on choices but none more reliable.

But - none of them are reliable without High Quality Fuel!!!! I have had best results with Vector and it is available in large cans at a reasonable price.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post
Really? Now see Ive been told by Many people to Never use a Zippo style lighter with a Cigar. They said it Ruins the Flavor?

I've never noticed and I've lit Many cigars with them. I still prefer a match though.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I love my Blazer PB-207. I can always depend on it! YMMV
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #32
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Been through a number of lighters and they all have their pros and cons, but I think that the 5x Vector fuel helps.

Here's how I see it.

Best lighter for the price, Ronson Jet Lite. The only downside is that it you can't see the fuel level. I wish they were easier to find, but I have two of them and they work great.

Best lighter to get repaired or replaced, Xikar. Service is fast and easy. I have two of them, but I just don't use them. One stopped working and I sent it back and it was quickly replaced. It worked for awhile and then stopped. The other is a dual flame that has worked for years and I use to carry it as a backup until I got the Ronsons.

Best lighter for fuel capacity and my favorite to use, Blazer PB-207. I'm on my third one. Limited warranty and service takes at least a month. I have returned at least two of them for service and they stopped working shortly after I got them back. Blazer seems to be into repairing rather than replacing.

I use to use a 3X fuel and switched to the Vector 5X and my current Blazer continues to work well. It has lasted longer than the first two, so I think most of my problems were from the fuel I was using.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #33
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I'm with everyone on the 5x fuel. Vector and Lava have worked well for me.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Its definetly not a pocket lighter, but I got one of these a few months back and it works great. Not one single problem so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Iso-Tip-7978-E...1402287&sr=8-1
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #35
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

My S.T. Dupont Xtend Has lit every single time I use it. I also trust my Xikar Nautilus (NXT), Blazers, Vectors, Nibos, Ronsons, dealextreme cheapie's and yes, even my Colibri's. I only use Vector or Lava 5x fuel with all my lighters, I always purge them and keep them clean.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #36
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post

You can still have the best of both worlds. You can get a Zippo with the Z-Plus insert. The Z-Plus is rock solid and you still have the convenience of a Zippo.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #37
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
Ferrari5180 is on a distinguished road

The blazer little buddy is a piece of crap. I suggest when you see it, you turn around and run the other way.
Ferrari5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #38
jbo57

I've had a Xicar for a few years. It's a double torch and I really like the warranty. I also have had one of those $2 Ronsons for a couple years and it's still working. I did have to clean my Xicar with a toothbrush the other day...now it works good again.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #39
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Be sure to use a quality fuel like 5x refined Vector.

FWIW I use these, if one breaks(very rare) just toss it and grab another. Can't be beat, less than $2/each if you order more than 3 includes free shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179
Those are what I use as well. If you want them order now. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to get them.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #40
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

I love my Blazer CG-001.