Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough
Default Oliva G Maduro Perfecto

Oliva G Maduro Perfecto

The aroma that I got from the wrapper had a bright medium spiciness to it and the the foot smelled of rich tobacco. Luckily the band was applied to the cigar with a friction fit and not glued to the wrapper, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. The cigar felt light, actually very light, for its size and when I gave it the old pinch test I was surprised to find that it was firm.

After giving the cigar a straight cut, I took a prelight draw. The draw was very easy and tasted of rich tobacco, which was very pleasing. I then lit the cigar and took the first few initial puffs. The first couple of puffs were harsh tasting but then quickly transitioned into something tasty. The smoke through the nose was spicy, and the taste was toasty and slightly nutty. This was shaping up to be a great smoke.

As I continued smoking the burn had started to become uneven. I did not correct it but instead wanted to see if it would correct itself. Some time later it did. Then I noticed something unpleasant, I had a strong bitterness on my lips and this was caused by the wrapper. I should mention that the very dark, almost black coloring of the wrapper is a product of steaming and I wonder if that process it what caused the bitterness. I continued studying the cigar and noticed that the gray ash had a very noticeable hole in the filler. This is usually a sign of poor construction. The aftertaste was rich and peppery and held onto the back of my tongue. I did like this characteristic of the cigar. Also, the smoke produced was blue in hue and was produced in ample amounts.

I made my way into the 2/3 of the cigar and the built up ash was now turning yellow and the flavors that were once present had severely diminished. The cigar just didn’t taste of anything, purely bland. I tipped the ash and it crumbled into the ashtray. I did noticed that the amount of produced ash compared to the amount of the cigar I smoked was very disproportionate. There was very little ash and this was evidence that the cigar was under-filled.

I was fully into the final third of the cigar and I already knew how it was going to end. The bitterness of the cigar was becoming more powerful. Tar buildup perhaps? The spongy cigar was now becoming warm and having troubles staying lit. Since it is winter my fingers were becoming numb and when the burn once again died on me, I did not see any reason to resurrect a cigar that I had so little like for.

I gave this a 2 out of 5, poor, because of just how badly it was constructed.

Thats all the ash that was produced!!

My full, long-winded review with more pics can be found here.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Oliva G Maduro Perfecto

Doesn't sound tasty at all.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

It was for a little bit at the beginning and then thats all.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
GHC_Hambone

Aww thats a bummer, sounds like you had a bad one. I have had a few before and thought they were excellent.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Olivas Are Hit Or Miss For Me, Except I Love The "V"s! There Are Worlds Of Difference In Improvement After A Year Of Rest, Though!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Olivas Are Hit Or Miss For Me, Except I Love The "V"s! There Are Worlds Of Difference In Improvement After A Year Of Rest, Though!
V's are fantastic and I have a super robusto that I have let age for over a year now. Looking for the right time to smoke it!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Not a fan of the G. The 3 I had tasted like wet charcoal. I had an O perfecto that was very good though and I have enjoyed the V's I have had.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

I should also give props to the Connecticut Reserve because that is a good creamy cigar and tasty for a connecticut.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

LOVE the V, the O was a little better than decent
Bageland2000 is offline   Reply With Quote