Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road
Default Audi Mechanical Question

I have a 2002 Audi A4 3.0 that the check engine light. a mechanic took a look and said the code returned 16815 which is the O2 sensor. and he gat another code that he said returned as Audi specific and said I'd have to take it to the audi dealership...

The code returned was 18339. Any idea on what this might be???

Thank you.

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Apexkingjusto
Newb

First Name: Justin
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Apexkingjusto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Audi Mechanical Question

try posting in audiworld!
Apexkingjusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
SDmate
I <3 to S.H.I.T

First Name: Steve AKA mate
Trading: (3)
RA
SDmate will become famous soon enoughSDmate will become famous soon enough

it's a cooling fan fault code
18339.P1931 coolant (FC) fan control module-J293 malfunction

Canterbury Crusaders- Super 12 Champions- 1998 1999 2000 2002 2005 Super 14 Champions- 2006 2008
Canterbury- ITM Cup Champions-2008-2012
New Zealand ALL BLACKS RWC Champions- 1987 2011
SDmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Hooligan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Matt
Trading: (0)
Hooligan is on a distinguished road

I just had to dump 1k in repairs for my A3 a month ago was told numerous times it was the o2 but turned out to be an Evap leak and a leaking head gasket. I guess that's what I get for tuning it to APR stage 2. :-/ hope you get it sorted out.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Apexkingjusto
Newb

First Name: Justin
Cohiba
Apexkingjusto is on a distinguished road

I dont think i would ever buy another audi....i had more problems with moy 06 a4 3.2 6spd...was a cool car but also a boat constantly in for repair....i love audis but would not want one out of warrenty. I went back to japanese cars after and wouldnt look back...i have a 450hp s2000 and a 300hp wrx and havent had nearly the problems on either of these monsters then i did with the audi...actually havent really had any issues on these especially amazing given how highly modified the s2000 is....sorry to go off topic but this just reminds me of all the times i worked from the audi dealership
Apexkingjusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDmate View Post
it's a cooling fan fault code
18339.P1931 coolant (FC) fan control module-J293 malfunction
Thanks, I did find this as well but, my fans are working fine...more to follow on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexkingjusto View Post
I dont think i would ever buy another audi....i had more problems with moy 06 a4 3.2 6spd...was a cool car but also a boat constantly in for repair....i love audis but would not want one out of warrenty. I went back to japanese cars after and wouldnt look back...i have a 450hp s2000 and a 300hp wrx and havent had nearly the problems on either of these monsters then i did with the audi...actually havent really had any issues on these especially amazing given how highly modified the s2000 is....sorry to go off topic but this just reminds me of all the times i worked from the audi dealership
Agreed Audi, BMW, Mecedes. expensive to mainatain. I knew that when I bought it. But I love the fact that I have a nice smooth ride when I just want to commute but when I want to get up and go my get up just rolls. I left a mustang in the distance...then I throttled back and just enjoyed the ride. I do like the WRX and I think the S2K is the best roadster made in my lifetime but they are both less demensional that a sport/touring machine. Apples and oranges.

Anyhoo th light went out and the car is running fine. I plan on having it checked again regardless. Thanks guys I appreciate the comments.

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Was the mechanic using a vw/audi scan tool!? If not the codes are commonly wrong from generic obd2 scan tools.. If he doesn't spealize in audi/vw have someone else scan the car. Otherwise hope on audio world or one of the vw forums and look for a thread or ask for any members that have vag-com
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagaspete View Post
Thanks, I did find this as well but, my fans are working fine...more to follow on that.
Could have been an intermittent fault, as long as the tech cleared the codes (which he had to to clear your CEL) then it may not come back. A VAG-COM cable costs about $300 from RossTech, it's very wise investment if you're going to keep the car. There's a decent amount of coding adaptations available for the B6 such as changing the behaviour of the comfort control module, roll the windows up and down with remote etc. Just small things but they do customise the car a little which makes the experience a bit nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagaspete View Post
Agreed Audi, BMW, Mecedes. expensive to mainatain. I knew that when I bought it. But I love the fact that I have a nice smooth ride when I just want to commute but when I want to get up and go my get up just rolls.
Agreed, I love the way my '00 4.2L A6 is super smooth and comfortable as a commuter yet is a highway barnstormer that can cruise effortless at 150kph+ and still feel like it's doing no more than 60. The only thing I don't like about it is the in-town fuel economy, but I was never expecting decent economy out of that car.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 05-02-2012 at 11:11 PM.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote