Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #41
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Pacquiao-Mayweather bout gaining ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Calling Mayweather a douchebag is an insult to douchebags.
How about douchecanoe?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #42
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

So the front row tickets I got on eBay for $50 are no good?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #43
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

This whole situation is why, in part, that boxing is a dying, farce of a sport.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #44
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
This whole situation is why, in part, that boxing is a dying, farce of a sport.
I love boxing, but there is too much politicing and grandstanding...just STFU and fight!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
But if Floyd's camp is being hardline on this issue, then my guess is Floyd either wants more of the purse, or not to fight Manny at all.
The third possibility here is that Floyd's camp knows something about Manny.

Manny's reasoning is a little soft as far as I'm concerned. He says it could weaken him before the fight? Well if that's the case, it would for Mayweather too, so no big deal. Afraid of needles??? The guy fights for a living...toughen up. Maybe Manny is/was doping and needs some time to clean it out before the test. For the biggest pay day in boxing history, I can't image this guy will give it up for the weak excuses he's provided so far.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #46
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

It's not like Mayweather to play mind games before a fight! Oh wait ... he does EVERY time. He wants to meet a weight shows up as something else. I believe that was the last fight he had.

If these guys want to fight, it will happen. Either way, I am watching the next Manny fight in March/April. Be it Yuri or whoever.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #47
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I love boxing, but there is too much politicing and grandstanding...just STFU and fight!

I totally agree but it's the nature of the beast for the sport. When they do go toe to toe it's going to be a good one!

Chris.....
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #48
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

If you think something will affect you, no matter how ridiculous your reasoning is, it will.

Pacquiao attributed his last loss to Erik Morales or JMM because of the blood test he took the day before. He said he felt weak the day of the fight.

PBF thinks he is at a disadvantage because in his mind, Pacquiao is on PED.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #49
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN.com
With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at a site to be determined, Pacquiao's camp said Friday

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #50
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Oy Vay

Less and more from these fools.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #51
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather Jr., who has steadfastly refused to answer questions about the most recent round of failed negotiations for a fight with Manny Pacquiao, has unleashed a profanity-filled racist and homophobic Internet rant against the Filipino star.

In an approximately 10-minute Ustream video, apparently made Thursday and also posted on YouTube, Mayweather repeated his assertion that Pacquiao uses performance-enhancing drugs, an accusation that resulted in a defamation lawsuit from Pacquiao earlier this year.

"I'm on vacation for about a year, about a year," Mayweather said. "As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump. We ain't worried about that. So they ain't gotta worry about me fighting the midget. Once I kick the midget ass, I don't want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. ... Once I stomp the midget, I'll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice."
It gets a lot worse, but I won't offend by posting more....what a POS.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #52
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
HOLLYWOOD, Calif -- Don't hold your breath for that Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather megafight. As far as Top Rank CEO Bob Arum is concerned it's never happening.

"That fight will never, ever happen," Arum said. "Ever, ever happen because of Mayweather.

"When Mayweather talks about how he hates Top Rank he's talking bulls---. What Mayweather hates is Manny's right hand. Mayweather has no chin and Manny will knock him out. Pacquiao and Mayweather is a three or four-round fight. Period. And who knows that best? Mayweather. The one thing Mayweather has had throughout his career is he knows boxing. He understands boxing and Mayweather can not compete with Manny. It's the right hand of Manny that is preventing that fight from happening. If Manny agreed just to jab with the right hand the fight would be made in 30 seconds."

Pacquiao's promoter made the comments before Pacquiao's media day workout leading up to his Nov. 12 fight against Juan Manuel Marquez.

"Once Manny demonstrated that fearsome right hand there was no chance ever that the fight would happen," Arum said. "None. Don't kid yourself. I know Mayweather, everything else is bulls---."

When Pacquaio was asked about the megafight he smiled, shrugged his shoulders and answered the same way he normally does.

"I don't know," he said. "Maybe the promoters can not afford him. I think that's the reason. The promoters cannot afford him. What he's asking is hard."

Arum also said Mayweather tarnished boxing and cheated the fans with the way he beat Victor Ortiz last month.

"Mayweather demonstrated a complete lack of sportsmanship and the public that paid for that was cheated," Arum said. "I don't care about the baloney about protect yourself at all times and its a legal shot. That's not the issue. The fighter has the obligation to entertain the public and hitting this kid with two cheap shots really put a damper on boxing. For me, f--- the legacy, he cheated the public."

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach said Pacquiao will only fight for two more years and four to five more fights before retiring and focusing on his political career and believes it is important for Pacquiao's legacy that he fight Mayweather.

"I think it would be good for boxing and good for the world if that fight happened," Roach said. "If that doesn't happen there will always be a question mark why they didn't fight each other. If Floyd ends up undefeated but didn't fight Manny Pacquiao it's going to haunt him for the rest of his life, but I don't think he thinks logically. It's always something with him. Only he knows why he won't take this fight."

Roach believes the fight needs to happen by next year for it to live up to its lofty expectations, but after so many false starts he's not making any predictions.

"You don't want them to fight when its too late and they're too old and the fight's not as spectacular," Roach said. "They're both in their prime right now and I think it needs to happen now. People around the world are getting tired of it. They need to fight already."
The latest news from Bob Arum on Pacquiao vs Mayweather. I wish they would just fight. Mayweather could really help his career out by doing it. The money they would both get would be insane.

Link to the story quoted above
Old 10-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Arum has an agenda here as well....but like you, Son, I just wish it would happen. Boxing needs it.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #54
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps setting the stage?

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather Jr. does not plan on taking another 16-month vacation from the boxing ring, like he did after easily outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2010.

Instead, Mayweather, who knocked out Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17, will make a relatively hasty return: May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, adviser Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

Mayweather's opponent has not been determined but Ellerbe said, "We're looking to make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is, the little fella."

Ellerbe was, of course, referring to Manny Pacquiao. The welterweight champions and the top two pound-for-pound fighters in the world have been on a collision course for years. However, negotiations have fallen apart over drug testing protocol.

Pacquiao is set to fight Juan Manuel Marquez for the third time Nov. 12 at the MGM Grand and is a heavy favorite.

"Floyd made it very clear that he wants to give the fans the biggest fights that are out there. He wants to stay active," Ellerbe said. "We're going to do everything in our power to make the biggest fight out there for the fans and we all know what the fight is."

Mayweather, a five-division champion, has fought only five times since 2007.

Ellerbe said Mayweather informed him and fellow adviser Al Haymon on Wednesday of his decision to return in May.

"We had a discussion, Floyd, me and Al," Ellerbe said. "Floyd made it very clear to us what he wanted to do. He told us he is looking to make the biggest fight that is out there and to make it in May."

Ellerbe also informed Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer, who does not have a contract with Mayweather but has promoted his last five bouts, of the plan.

"I'm very excited that the sport's biggest pay-per-view star is going to be back on May 5," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "We have informed the pay-per-view industry and I have the arena on hold. I'm excited to continue my relationship with Floyd and his team. It's always fun to work with Floyd."

Although May 5 is seven months away, Mayweather's fights have typically been promoted for several months in advance of the fight. The first weekend of May is traditionally a weekend for a major pay-per-view fight.

"We have to plan any time you're the biggest star in the sport," Ellerbe said. "You have to plan in advance because his fights are events. In order to maximize the exposure you want to plan as far in advance as you can to make your event as big as possible. May 5, that is the date Floyd is fighting on. We have secured May 5 at the MGM. Floyd is excited to make his return."

Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs), who turns 35 in February, reclaimed one of his old welterweight titles with his knockout of Ortiz in a fight that Golden Boy said generated 1.25 million buys and $78.44 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue. The buys tied the fight for third place all-time among non-heavyweight pay-per-views and gave Mayweather his third consecutive 1 million-plus pay-per-view fight and fourth in his last five bouts.

Although Mayweather plans to fight, he still faces several legal cases. He was acquitted last week of misdemeanor harassment charges alleging that he had threatened the lives of two security guards in the gated community in Las Vegas where he lives. But he faces a trial for a misdemeanor battery complaint alleging he poked another homeowner association security guard in the face during a different confrontation over parking tickets last November. Mayweather has pleaded not guilty.

In the most serious case, Mayweather faces four felony and four misdemeanor charges stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his former girlfriend, who is the mother of two of his children.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. eyes May 5 fight
Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #55
kydsid
Ditat Deus

You know what both of them and the rest of boxing can just go to hell. I haven't watched anything in more than a year and honestly don't plan on it at all. They have turned boxing into a soap opera (media, hbo 24/7, the grandstanding etc). Just good boxing, thats all I want and they can't deliver.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #56
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Unfotunately, this could merely be more grandstanding by Mayweather to hype a fight against someone other than his most imposing potential foe.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #57
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i'm sure it'll happen this time...I'm sure the other times of this not happening were just flukes...
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #58
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Unfotunately, this could merely be more grandstanding by Mayweather to hype a fight against someone other than his most imposing potential foe.
I think you are right, Adam. Bob Arum's answer back..

Quote:
When we asked yesterday whether Floyd Mayweather was serious about setting up a fight against Manny Pacquiao, 59% voted that it was "just more Mayweather blather."

Apparently Bob Arum, the promoter for Pacquiao, agrees with the majority. He thinks Mayweather's camp putting out the May 5 date was laughable.

"The way they are going about it seems like a bizarre way to go about it," Arum told ESPN's Dan Rafael. "If you want to put it together, you meet, you talk. You don't just come out and say, 'The fight is May 5 at the MGM.' ...I think it's Floyd's way of trying to grab a little bit of the spotlight away from Manny. I'm not going to get upset. I take it with a grain of salt."

Pacquiao fights Juan Manuel Marquez on Nov. 12.

Arum says the other side knows his phone number.

"When they want to do some serious negotiating somebody will call me... and we will sit down and talk. It's obviously a fight we want to make."
Bob Arum answers back
Old 01-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #59
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Hoping this really happens, fingers crossed!

Quote:
"Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see," read Mayweather's first tweet.

One minute later, Mayweather followed with this: "My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk."
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...cquiao-5-fight
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #60
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

I still think Mayweather is a better fighter strategically speaking....very illusive, I think he stands a great chance in going the distance and winning the fight!