Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post

LOL....

For the record I actually kind of like Bisping. Mainly because he throws a lot of flying knees.
And now that coffe is on my screen...
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #502
Comicbookfreak
Tattooed 4 Life

Location: Goverment Facility Solving The Riddles of Time Travel
HdM
Comicbookfreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
People have hated Lesnar since he walked into the UFC with only 1 fight under his belt, lost 1, won 1, and they feel he was given a free ticket to a title match. Though, he took the title and just demolished a "highly" skilled BJ guy to defend his title and avenge his 1st UFC loss.

I'm just happy to see not everyone has to freakin' hug after the fight.
Exactly Ken. You go in there to war and to beat the chit outta the other guy. Screw the other guy no matter who it is. Specially with all the crap Mir was talking. It's a fight not a ballet. Why would anyone wanna hug the guy that just tried to put his fist thru your face?? Someone mentioned earlier About Ali talking crap in boxing and he is the greatest boxer of all time. Or say a Floyd Mayweather Jr. Heck Tyson wanted to eat Lennox's children lol. If you can back it up it ain't talking crap it's the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
I didn't hate lesner until after he was an ass after his match with herring, after his match with mir. ya he's strong, he's also what, 40 lbs heavier than mir, laying on him with his football field of a chest? Some skill, some lying there. Screw lesnar, piece of ****.
So you don't like him cause he roped the cowboy after the fight. But you like Silva who dances after a win. What's the difference??? Then you complain about Lesnar being 40lbs bigger. He made weight didn't he?? Size doesn't always mean everything look at Royce in his prime he schooled many men larger than he is. Fedor beats men bigger than he is too. And if you question his skill then that is a joke he has World Class wrestling skills. Like Zakk Wylde says, "Ain't it funny what the color green will make people do." Admit it Goalie you got a man crush on Brock.

Last edited by Comicbookfreak; 07-15-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Comicbookfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #503
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookfreak View Post
Exactly Ken. You go in there to war and to beat the chit outta the other guy. Screw the other guy no matter who it is. Specially with all the crap Mir was talking. It's a fight not a ballet. Why would anyone wanna hug the guy that just tried to put his fist thru your face?? Someone mentioned earlier About Ali talking crap in boxing and he is the greatest boxer of all time. Or say a Floyd Mayweather Jr. Heck Tyson wanted to eat Lennox's children lol. If you can back it up it ain't talking crap it's the truth.

So you don't like him cause he roped the cowboy after the fight. But you like Silva who dances after a win. What's the difference??? Then you complain about Lesnar being 40lbs bigger. He made weight didn't he?? Size doesn't always mean everything look at Royce in his prime he schooled many men larger than he is. Fedor beats men bigger than he is too. And if you question his skill then that is a joke he has World Class wrestling skills. Like Zakk Wylde says, "Ain't it funny what the color green will make people do." Admit it Goalie you got a man crush on Brock.
wow
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #504
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
ya he's strong, he's also what, 40 lbs heavier than mir, laying on him with his football field of a chest? Some skill, some lying there. Screw lesnar, piece of ****.
I'll definitely have more tact in my post than Lesnar did in the post fight interview.

Let's talk HW's. The HW division is for big guys who can't/won't cut 205. I believe the UFC goes up to 265. There are a number of fighters who are 240 and under. Only a few at 260+, one being Shane Carwin. If any of these other HW's feel they do not possess the ability to fight a bigger guy then they need to start dropping weight. Because Carwin is on his way up and others well be flooding in after TUF 10.

Let's talk weight. I can personally tell you that weight does help though it isn't that advantageous over skill and ability. Each week I wrestle guys any where from 40lbs heavier to 40lbs lighter and none of them are easy to keep down. Lesnar is a top notch wrestler who is an ace in the game of takedowns and control. That is skill and not just weight holding him down. And if Mir can not deal with an extra 20lbs on a no-skilled chump then he pretty much sucks himself. Weight is nice to have over someone, but if you don't bring anything else to the table your toast.

And "Some skill, some lying there.". Did you watch the fight? In the 1st round he pretty much had Mir in a crucifix with only using one arm. Lesnar's arms are long enough and strong enough to pull something like that off. And it took training and knowledge to pull off such a move. Then the subtle things like getting your legs into position to control the ground, passing the guard, and subs. Not understanging this leaving you open for legs locks or being easily swept by your opponent.
I thought that taking your opponent down and beating the snot out of them was actually called ground-n-pound. Because this is what Lesnar employed. He easily took Mir down, controlled the top in side mount, gained position by showing patience, and then beat the tar out him.
Lastly, at the beginning of the match Mir tried a toss, stuffed, then transitioned to a knee bar, and was stuffed again. I'm beside myself as to how anyone could watch this and say that Lesnar showed no skill.

He can't take a punch either!

I never watched this guy in WWE, though I wanted to see him do well in the UFC. But now, to spite everyone else and piss them off I'm an official Brock nut hugger. He's my new BBF. (I'm not sure what a BBF is but my neice says is means everything.)
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #505
LordOfWu

I respect the skill that Brock used to beat Mir, he was better, he won. Mir is a BJJ black belt, and even he knew he made some mistakes. Lesnar is a strong and skilled wrestler...and he can hit. There have been many champions in the UFC with those credentials.

What I do not respect is continuing to go after him (Mir) verbally after the fight, I don't respect the way he conducted himself in the interview with Joe. If this does not bother you, that's fine with me, but is shows incredibly poor sportsmanship, and a complete lack of respect for his opponent, the organization and the fans (or at least some of them).

Speaking for myself I don't hate Brock, I don't think he is the downfall of UFC...he just happens to be a fighter I don't care for. There are enough other guys who are drawing lots of people to the UFC who I do like. If Brock does it for you, good for you.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #506
Steelergar

i think mir's black belt in bjj is suspect. Supposedly he received it after 5 years of training? It takes 10-15 years to get a black belt from a respectable teacher. When Mir fought Nog he was avoiding the ground most of the time.

Last edited by Steelergar; 07-15-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #507
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Best Buddy Forever.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #508
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu View Post
I respect the skill that Brock used to beat Mir, he was better, he won. Mir is a BJJ black belt, and even he knew he made some mistakes. Lesnar is a strong and skilled wrestler...and he can hit. There have been many champions in the UFC with those credentials.

What I do not respect is continuing to go after him (Mir) verbally after the fight, I don't respect the way he conducted himself in the interview with Joe. If this does not bother you, that's fine with me, but is shows incredibly poor sportsmanship, and a complete lack of respect for his opponent, the organization and the fans (or at least some of them).

Speaking for myself I don't hate Brock, I don't think he is the downfall of UFC...he just happens to be a fighter I don't care for. There are enough other guys who are drawing lots of people to the UFC who I do like. If Brock does it for you, good for you.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #509
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
What I do not respect is continuing to go after him (Mir) verbally after the fight, I don't respect the way he conducted himself in the interview with Joe.
Mir talked a lot of trash I think he got what was well deserved. I also believe that with more maturity in the business Brock's interview demeanor will change. Though I don't think he will nor would I want to see him become some PC nancyass tip toeing around as to not offend anyone.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #510
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #511
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu
but is shows incredibly poor sportsmanship, and a complete lack of respect for his opponent, the organization and the fans (or at least some of them).
In your opinion. Besides he has been saying since he lost that he has no respect for Mir. And I'm sure Dana was doing cartwheels about all this because it's the first time that the UFC was a major story on ESPN and other outlets for 4-5 days after the event. (they never mentioned Brocks antics after the fight either) There is no such thing as bad publicity. Hell, we're still talking about it.

If anybody hates him, they are feeding right out of his and Dana's hands. That's exactly the way they want you to feel. More people will buy the ppv's just to root against him. Every sport needs a good villain.

The most "classless", if you want to label somebody that, person in UFC history is Dana White. Read his interviews and he calls out other organizations and labels them losers all the time using the F bomb liberally. It gets him noticed and that's what it is all about.

And don't even talk about class and Rampage.

First, the running from the cops thing and now this:

http://www.break.com/cage-potato/ram...-reporter.html
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...son/index.html

Traina: Has he apologized since then?
Nichols: No, not at all. He was very, very pleased with himself.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 07-16-2009 at 06:34 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #512
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
In your opinion. Besides he has been saying since he lost that he has no respect for Mir. And I'm sure Dana was doing cartwheels about all this because it's the first time that the UFC was a major story on ESPN and other outlets for 4-5 days after the event. (they never mentioned Brocks antics after the fight either) There is no such thing as bad publicity. Hell, we're still talking about it.

If anybody hates him, they are feeding right out of his and Dana's hands. That's exactly the way they want you to feel. More people will buy the ppv's just to root against him. Every sport needs a good villain.

The most "classless", if you want to label somebody that, person in UFC history is Dana White. Read his interviews and he calls out other organizations and labels them losers all the time using the F bomb liberally. It gets him noticed and that's what it is all about.

He's the guy that always talks about how this isn't boxing...And acts just like a silly boxing promoter. Have you seen the cover of that new magazine, where he's throwing fists at the camera? Yeah, you're a hard ass Dana!

I also despise the fact that he talks down fighters that he can't land. He tries saying things like Fedor's overrated in one breath, and in the next he's desparately trying to make a deal with him?
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #513
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
He's the guy that always talks about how this isn't boxing...And acts just like a silly boxing promoter. Have you seen the cover of that new magazine, where he's throwing fists at the camera? Yeah, you're a hard ass Dana!

I also despise the fact that he talks down fighters that he can't land. He tries saying things like Fedor's overrated in one breath, and in the next he's desparately trying to make a deal with him?
its....called....business.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #514
Steelergar

he was criticising cro crop too, when he heard a rumor that he signed a deal with DREAM. Then they turn around and sign a 3 fight deal with him. He is very unprofessional and talks too much garbage.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #515
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Tito Ortiz and Dana White mend their relationship.

“UFC is not out of the picture…. There’s a possibility — I don’t know. I had a conversation with Dana last week, me and him spoke … we were really, really good friends at a point, best friends at a point, and everything got mucked up because of the fight game…. I wanted to be a man and squash things between me and him and wish him luck in his journeys and he did the same to me. So we kind of amended and squashed things, which is great. Dana showed the kind of person he is by apologizing to me and vice versa…. I’m very thankful for Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta from the UFC and I’m glad that me and Dana (White) kind of got to brush each other off. We may not still like each other or whatever but we came to amends — which is awesome. I gotta thank Strikeforce for giving me an opportunity and I want to thank Affliction for giving me an opportunity.”

I have a feeling this was done to get Tito back into the UFC and possibly be the main event opponent for Rich Franklin at 103. Right now Rich doesn't have an opponent for the main event.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #516
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:

Case in point below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Tito Ortiz and Dana White mend their relationship.

“UFC is not out of the picture…. There’s a possibility — I don’t know. I had a conversation with Dana last week, me and him spoke … we were really, really good friends at a point, best friends at a point, and everything got mucked up because of the fight game…. I wanted to be a man and squash things between me and him and wish him luck in his journeys and he did the same to me. So we kind of amended and squashed things, which is great. Dana showed the kind of person he is by apologizing to me and vice versa…. I’m very thankful for Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta from the UFC and I’m glad that me and Dana (White) kind of got to brush each other off. We may not still like each other or whatever but we came to amends — which is awesome. I gotta thank Strikeforce for giving me an opportunity and I want to thank Affliction for giving me an opportunity.”

I have a feeling this was done to get Tito back into the UFC and possibly be the main event opponent for Rich Franklin at 103. Right now Rich doesn't have an opponent for the main event.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #517
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Great article on the double standard applied to Lesnar.

Quote:
Of all the pro wrestlers who have come into the sport, only two – Lesnar and non-UFC fighter Bobby Lashley – have ever been disrespected by fellow fighters for being a pro wrestler. In Lesnar’s four UFC fights, only one opponent didn’t throw some kind of variation on “It’s not the WWE,” at him before the fight. In hyping the match, Mir implied Lesnar was strong but clueless when it came to fighting. Heath Herring and his camp had complained behind-the-scenes to company officials that it was a joke he was even put in the ring with a fake pro wrestler, and made public comments about how the punches were going to be real.

The only opponent who didn’t disrespect Lesnar before the fight was Couture. The only opponent Lesnar didn’t trash talk afterward was Couture. Coincidence?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFC 100 took place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. In the night's pay-per-view main event, UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar ground and pounded his way to a second-round TKO victory over interim title-holder Frank Mir. Lesnar wasn't issued a suspension, but Mir is sidelined until Sept. 10 for precautionary reasons.

The full list of suspensions includes:

Frank Mir: Suspended until Sept. 10 with no contact until Aug. 26 for precautionary reasons
Georges St. Pierre: Must have groin injury cleared by an orthopedic doctor. Otherwise, suspended until Jan. 8. Even if cleared, suspended until Aug. 11 with no contact until Aug. 2 for precautionary reasons.
Thiago Alves: Suspended until Aug. 11 with no contact until Aug. 2 for precautionary reasons
Michael Bisping: Suspended until Sept. 10 with no contact until Aug. 26 for precautionary reasons
Yoshihiro Akiyama: Must have left orbital fractured cleared by an ophthalmologist. Otherwise, suspended until Jan. 8. Even if cleared, suspended until Sept. 10 with no contact until Aug. 26 for precautionary reasons
Stephan Bonnar: Suspended until Aug. 11 with no contact until Aug. 2 for precautionary reasons
Mac Danzig: Suspended until Sept. 10 with no contact until Aug. 26 due to a head laceration
Jim Miller: Must have right shoulder and clavicle X-rayed and cleared by a doctor. Otherwise, suspended until Jan. 8
Jake O'Brien: Suspended until Aug. 11 with no contact until Aug. 2 for precautionary reasons
T.J. Grant: Suspended until Aug. 2 with no contact until July 26 for precautionary reasons
C.B. Dollaway: Suspended until Aug. 11 with no contact until Aug. 2 for precautionary reasons
Matt Grice: Suspended until Sept. 10 with no contact until Aug. 26 for precautionary reasons
Shannon Gugerty: Must have lower back pain cleared by a doctor. Otherwise, suspended until Jan. 8

UFC 100, which took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, had a total disclosed payroll of $1,790,000.

The payroll figure does not include a $400,000 that was awarded for "fight night" bonuses that were handed out after the event. Each award winner received a record $100,000.

UFC 100, the UFC's heavily promoted and long-awaited milestone event, drew a soldout crowd estimated at 11,000 and assuming the preliminary figures hold up the second-largest gate in UFC history with $5.1 million in ticket sales.

The full payouts for the event included:

Jon Fitch: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus)
def. Paulo Thiago: $8,000

Brock Lesnar: $400,000 (no win bonus)
def. Frank Mir: $45,000

Georges St-Pierre: $400,000 ($200,000 win bonus)
def. Thiago Alves: $60,000

Dan Henderson: $250,00 ($150,000 win bonus)
def. Michael Bisping: $150,000

Yoshihiro Akiyama: $60,000 ($20,000 win bonus)
def. Alan Belcher: $19,000

Mark Coleman: $100,000 ($50,000 win bonus)
def. Stephan Bonnar: $25,000

Jim Miller: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus)
def. Mac Danzig: $20,000

Jon Jones: $18,000 ($9000 win bonus)
def. Jake O'Brien: $13,000

Dong Hyun Kim: $58,000 ($29,000 win bonus)
def. T.J. Grant: $5,000

Tom Lawlor: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. C.B. Dollway: $14,000

Shannon Gugerty: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Grice: $7,000

The UFC awarded $100,000 each to Akiyama and Belcher (Fight of the Night), Henderson (KO of the Night, duh!) and Lawlor (Submission of the Night).

Keith Kizer, Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, on Friday released post-fight drug test results for UFC 100, which took place on July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

Thirteen athletes were tested for performance enhancing substances and drugs of abuse: Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir, Georges St. Pierre, Thiago Alves, Dan Henderson, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Jon Fitch, Jon Jones, Mark Coleman, Jim Miller, Dong Hyun Kim, Tom Lawlor, and Shannon Gugerty.

All athletes tested negative.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A UFC 103 welterweight bout between veterans Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender to challenge for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's championship belt.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 07-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #518
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

This is why I called Jackson a douchebag in my earlier post.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #519
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
[
The full payouts for the event included:

Jon Fitch: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus)
def. Paulo Thiago: $8,000

Brock Lesnar: $400,000 (no win bonus)
def. Frank Mir: $45,000

Georges St-Pierre: $400,000 ($200,000 win bonus)
def. Thiago Alves: $60,000

Dan Henderson: $250,00 ($150,000 win bonus)
def. Michael Bisping: $150,000

Yoshihiro Akiyama: $60,000 ($20,000 win bonus)
def. Alan Belcher: $19,000

Mark Coleman: $100,000 ($50,000 win bonus)
def. Stephan Bonnar: $25,000

Jim Miller: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus)
def. Mac Danzig: $20,000

Jon Jones: $18,000 ($9000 win bonus)
def. Jake O'Brien: $13,000

Dong Hyun Kim: $58,000 ($29,000 win bonus)
def. T.J. Grant: $5,000

Tom Lawlor: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. C.B. Dollway: $14,000

Shannon Gugerty: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Grice: $7,000

The UFC awarded $100,000 each to Akiyama and Belcher (Fight of the Night), Henderson (KO of the Night, duh!) and Lawlor (Submission of the Night).

Keith Kizer, Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, on Friday released post-fight drug test results for UFC 100, which took place on July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
Wow. Just wow. I'd love to be a loser in UFC! Many of them made more in one night than what I make in a year!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #520
Steelergar

DREAM 10 is live at 3:00 a.m, set your tivo if you have HD net. It replays again on friday at 10:00 p.m and saturday at 4:00 p.m. keep an eye on welterweight galvo he is a bjj phenomenon and trains with anderson silva and he is only 23 years old.