Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Our deck just showed up.

Damn, all that work in front of you should be fulfilling...so while you working hard I'll take that vacation you've been thinking about off to Michigan
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #22
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I have to build a shed before Fall, Larry. That's easy. No 20' 2x12's in them.

That has been a HUGE help all along the way. I want to get everything done before they sell that lot. It'll save tons of pain, for sure.
My previous house was on a corner lot. Before I put my fence up, I had a couple of contractors doing work for neighbors ask (at least they asked) if they could drive through my bark yard in their trucks. Ummmmmmmmmm.....how about NO???? He tried telling me it wouldn't leave ruts in the yard and I was even more sure to not have ruts in the yard by not having him drive through my yard.

I had a concrete patio poured at that house. They presented the option of pumping it (a good bit of money-maybe up to $1k) and I thought nah, I could deal with it so they pulled into the back yard in the concrete truck. I would have been time/money ahead to pump it than all the hassle I spent getting topsoil, renting a bobcat, and then seeding the hell out of it multiple times.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Especially when the re-seeding is likely because of all the soil compression. That's what starts crabgrass and such,
you can fill a rut in, but it's never the same unless you dig it all out and break it up and put it all back.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
BC-Axeman

What the heck? Ya building an ark?

I stain all the wood before building with it. I like having all sides sealed. I also use end grain sealer on all the cut ends. Stuff called Anchorseal.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
SoCalSmoker
Senior habanophile

Trading: (2)
SoCalSmoker is on a distinguished road

Is it done yet?
It will be really nice after all your work
SoCalSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
What the heck? Ya building an ark?

I stain all the wood before building with it. I like having all sides sealed. I also use end grain sealer on all the cut ends. Stuff called Anchorseal.
I would absolutely love to stain and seal everything on the way up, Lance. With the FIL helping, it just won't happen. I'll have to crawl all under this thing with a sprayer when I'm done to make sure I get everything, including the cut ends.
The deck is free-floating, not anchored to the house, so there will be a little room to get into all the ends.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The father-in-law is on the way for round two. We got all the trusses done but one on Saturday. I did the next to last one after he left and dropped it on my leg. That's when I decided to quit for the evening.
I'll get a progress pic as soon as I go out there, cause we'll be a lot further ahead at the end of the day.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #28
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Gotta love home improvement projects. Good luck with the rest of the deck and I'm sure will turn out great.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #29
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I feel your pain brother. I am building a 12 x 16 shed. My pile was just a little smaller than yours!!!
I'm right there with ya, Larry--put the foundation down this weekend for an 8x13 shed, got a pile of lumber in the backyard as well. Not as big as Scott's though

Good luck, Scott, that's quite a job, I'll be interested to see your progress!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #30
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

lets see some new pictures
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #31
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

Going to be great when finished... I spent this weekend power washing the deck and staining it. Next time it needs staining, its getting ripped up and i'm going with composite!
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #32
BC-Axeman

I did Ipe. Very strong wood. Very beautiful. You can stain it if you want but it will last just as long anyway, like 50 years. It's like Teak, but not as expensive. The native softwoods are getting lower and lower in quality and my deck was not well suited for the composites they had at the time. They were weak and very strong sunlight eroded them badly. My neighbor has to tighten all the screws down every couple of years as the deck wears away. I think they have solved that problem now. I would put a plastic deck on a rental or spec house without a second thought.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

This is what we did yesterday. We built the last truss this morning and started running all the stringers. That should be done tomorrow and then we're gonna work on the railing and start the decking. We need to put some more infill in for the decking designs and so forth, that'll slow us down.
I didn't get a pic of today's progress cause it was dark, I just now came in.
Anyways, pics of yesterdays progress...

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #34
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Good luck, Scott. You'll get plenty of exercise in with this one.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

How many square feet will the deck be? Looks like it'll be pretty nice.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #36
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

The support beams look great, how are they going to be attached to the footings? Or is this going to be completely free floating? Huge deck, looks like it's going to be great when done.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #37
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

looking good
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
How many square feet will the deck be? Looks like it'll be pretty nice.
Right around 640 sq. ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
The support beams look great, how are they going to be attached to the footings? Or is this going to be completely free floating? Huge deck, looks like it's going to be great when done.
The deck is free floating, which by definition means it's not attached to the house. It's attached to the 8" round-48" deep pilings with hurricane clips. If you don't fasten a deck down, it just amounts to a big airplane that'll fly away in the first windstorm. That'd suck something awful.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #39
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I just came in to take a little fiver. I locked up pretty good and couldn't work my little paws, so I doubled up on my meds and I'm ready to get back out there.
We just finished the last of the stringers (joists) and I'm not sure what our next move is.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #40
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Right around 640 sq. ft.
Awesome-mine is probably around 680 sq ft and I hope to finish it before the weekend of the 4th. I'm holding off on putting the posts/rails up next year until I graduate/get back to work and make better use of the $1k it's gonna cost for post covers, skirts, caps, etc. until then. I already have the rails, but I'm not about to put them up over 4x4's only to take them down again to put the post caps, skirts, and covers on.