Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default NASA/Space Junkies

Any NASA/space junkies out there? Living and growing up in south Florida it's almost in my DNA to love it. The field trips to Kennedy space center and going to many space shuttle launches over the years including the last shuttle night launch. Trust me a day launch was cool but a night launch was life altering. I took 2 of my friends who were a part of the "fix earth first" crowd and after a night launch began to really research the benefits to mankind the space program was and is, they changed their minds after that. All from a night launch. Anyways, just wanted to see if we had any "junkies" here and if you had any interesting stories about it all.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NASA/Space Junkies

I like it too. As a matter of fact I had posters of the astronauts and stuff in my room while I was a kid. I even went into aviation knowing that it was needed to be one.

Living in CFL means that I get to see the launches from my porch, and it just never gets old.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Yeah it's hard to explain to people how amazing it was to see a launch. We unfortunately got to see a lot of amazing people lose their jobs with shutting down the shuttle program.
My family and friends out of state just never understood the magic of it all. If every citizen went to one launch event we'd never have to worry about funding ever again. I mean landing on the moon and the other amazing accomplishments by NASA was really our great wall or pyramids. Plus getting to see our place in the universe and multiverse without making any contact with another world yet shows you what a precious gift we have here. It's an overwhelming idea but one that was encouraged and given to us by our space program.

Sorry, I tend to rant a bit much. I just wish everyone could experience what we've had the good fortune of experiencing several times a year. We are very lucky down here.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

look up the trailer call Interstellar... looks related and promising
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I've never had the personal privilege of witnessing a launch, but am old enough to remember the good ol' days, of Sputnik, Vanguard, and Explorer. I recall sitting in grade-school class, listening to Mercury launches like Alan Shepard's and John Glenn's flights on the radio, along with the entire nation I feel sure.

Seems like today it's too blase an attitude we have with such endeavors.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I check in at NASA all the time to see new pics, follow all the space programs, check out all the deep space images I can get my eyes on, read tons of articles on the same, and read space sci-fi books at a phenomenal pace.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I check in at NASA all the time to see new pics, follow all the space programs, check out all the deep space images I can get my eyes on, read tons of articles on the same, and read space sci-fi books at a phenomenal pace.
Same here! All my favorite movies are Sci-Fi and after that Mafia movies.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
I can see it now . . . Goodfellas Go To Mars.

"In space, no one can hit the mattresses."
Old 01-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I can see it now . . . Goodfellas Go To Mars.

"In space, no one can hit the mattresses."
"Hey Tommy! Go get your tool box!"
Old 01-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Grew up in Satellite Beach next to P.A.F.B. Jason, so I have a felling we were pretty close to each other?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
I don't think there's a sci-fi space movie I haven't seen except Starship Troopers (read the book) and Moon. I think I saw Space Odyssey and hated it. I need to try it again. Hate Metropolis, too. Starship Troopers II was horrid.
If you didn't see Elysium yet, do that.
And if you haven't read "The Old Man's War" series, start doing that right now.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Scott, the first Starship Troopers was decent, and even "reasonably" close to Heinlein's intent. Plus, it has a "titillating" co-ed shower scene.

I thought Moon was a great overlooked film, though I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea. It is NOT a space opera like Star Wars etc., being much more quiet and cerebral.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Saw Elysium and really enjoyed it.

2001 - give it another try
Sunshine - very underrated
Europa Report - First half interesting but falls off a bit at the end.
Last days on mars - was okay if you watch it as a 1950's B movie scifi flick
Alien
Aliens
Apollo 13 - not scifi
The right stuff - also not scifi
and so on. The one i watch every year is from the earth to the moon HBO series.

there are just too many scifi greats to mention but i usually enjoy a lot of them

oh and can't forget Star Trek (not the new movies) TOS,TNG, DS9
Old 01-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I am a huge space junkie. I can spend hours looking at the NASA images of planets, installer objects and deep space.

There is a computer game called the Kerbal Space Program. I highly recommend this if you are into computer games and space flight. The graphics are pretty simple so most computers can run it with no problems.

I also enjoy the heck of of Science Fiction books and movies too.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Ya know, Jason, I've heard folks say Europe Report may be the best sci-fi flick ever.
I enjoyed it just because I love the genre so much, but quite frankly, the movie sucked balls.
I've got most all the 100 sci-fi movies of all time. Looking through the list, there are very few I haven't watched yet. Moon was one that was missing. I started watching It today but got drawed off. I'll catch it tomorrow.
If I can ever help you out (or Thomas, or anyone for that matter) with any sci-fi books, just holler. I think I'm up to around 1500 titles now. 1526, I think it was in mobi, PDF, and ePub formats.
Thanks for the tip on Moon, Thomas. It was looking good already. I think I'm gonna love it.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Thanks for the tip on Moon, Thomas. It was looking good already. I think I'm gonna love it.
I enjoyed it, brother, and hope you shall too.

Thanks for the offer for SF books, but I'm pretty well stocked myself. In fact, between those, my comic books, and a few tons of "real" reading material I own . . . well, I'll not live long enough to finish.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #17
Robulous78

LoL, I am a huge space nerd...

I loved learning about space as a young kid. I was, am, still pretty big into Star trek and Star wars, both of which I look forward to seeing what they do with JJ Abrams. I really think that its because of a lack of quality shows like that we are seeing a decline in the interest in the work of NASA, which is truly a sad thing.

Its sad when people don't dream of what the future could hold, be it as incredible as water on mars or growing a dandelion in lunar soil, those movies nurtured a curiosity and intrepidness that isn't seen, at least by me, in most youth today...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #18
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Seen more than a few launches. Day and night. The best launches to me were the winter-time late afternoon launches. Ground level was twilight - dark but the setting sun spotlighted the shuttle. I've seen quite a few SRB seps. naked eye. That was some cool shat.

Went to the old visitor center so many times it almost got boring. Almost. My 6th grade math teacher was one of the short-list people that got beat out by Christa McAulliffe to be the 1st teacher in space. One of my best friends' dad retired from NASA and worked on the Mercury / Gemini / Apollo and shuttle programs.

Hard to be a native Floridian and not be in touch with the space program.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #19
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

A good friend from HS now runs or is up there in the Astronaut Scholarship program, her office overlooks the rocket garden, she's very close to all the astronauts and was even at Cooper's memorial service .... b!tch.

(yes yes I'm incredibly jealous and she knows it so likes to rub it in or send pictures of her with them at various functions and dinners)
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
ChicagoWhiteSox

I'm into anything by Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeJoVeKSsyA