Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Cigarplease
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Cigarplease is on a distinguished road
Default Box vs. Sampler

Have you ever tried a cigar in a sampler, enjoyed it, bought a box and then found the quality to decline?

Recently I tried la hacienda grand Corona by warped that I received in a sampler. It was excellent. Next, I bought a five pack. They were excellent also. Then I bought a box. The first three I smoked had poor draw and therefore mediocre flavor. I'm beginning to wonder if cigar makers are using their best rollers for cigars destined for samplers. Anyone else have this experience?
Cigarplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Box vs. Sampler

Sorry for your problem, but I think you are being a bit paranoid. Vendors are neither that tricky nor that smart, and can't tell a good stick from a bad one by sight, smell, sound, or whatever. More likely the cigars in the box are "younger" than those left over from old boxes which were used in the samplers, and draw less well because they have not aged as much yet. Also, they might be a little "wet" still, so let them rest some more before you smoke another.

Just my two cents, and worth every penny.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas is right on the mark.
They're wet.
Give them 8 months in your humidor and they'll rock your world.

This cigar obsession is a patience game. You're catching on to the nuances.
Once those smokes get right, you want to order another box for your rotation, then they'll be ready by the time you finish the first box.
That's assuming you find a number of favorites that cause you to make a box investment.

Good luck, brother!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Thomas is right on the mark.
They're wet.
Give them 8 months in your humidor and they'll rock your world.

This cigar obsession is a patience game. You're catching on to the nuances.
Once those smokes get right, you want to order another box for your rotation, then they'll be ready by the time you finish the first box.
That's assuming you find a number of favorites that cause you to make a box investment.

Good luck, brother!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Kyle's stuff is pretty good and they have excellent quality control (usually). I suspect Thomas is correct and the humidity still needs to change a bit. Travel, shipping conditions, storage, yada yada. Just let them settle a bit in your humi and they'll be fine.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Cigarplease
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Cigarplease is on a distinguished road

This all seems to make sense. Thank you.
Cigarplease is offline   Reply With Quote