Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: That's not mold, it's plume!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
The guy definitely was wrong. It absolutely was mold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Yeah, it could not have been plume...
Fixed.

No two ways about this. It could've been plume like the patty on a Quarter Pounder "could've been" filet mignon.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
It really depends on the level of knowledge possessed by the staff. In a lot of instances, they simply don't know or have been instructed incorrectly by someone who doesn't know. Remember, at a number of B&M's, the staff are not as fanatical about their cigars as the members you find here.

I have seen B&M's take responsibility for moldy cigars that they weren't aware of.

I have also seen people who own extensive collections and have been smoking for years be rather proud of what they think is plume but is actually mold.

It's all about just knowing which is which.
Yes, level of knowledge definitely plays a big part. It's also about being open to learning the difference between mold and plume. I stopped going to a local B&M because my buddies and I couldn't disabuse the owner of the notion that what he thought was plume was actually mold. He kept the walk-in at 75% and a good portion of his cigars were moldy. He didn't seem like a cigar enthusiast, so I imagine that played a big role too.

Last edited by ucla695; 02-01-2012 at 09:07 AM.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Sadly I have found that most shops staff is just really lacking the knowledge to decipher the difference. Not their fault all the time just lack of training in which I blame the shop owners. I have even been in a shop where I was very friendly with the staff and saw the residue that some un-celloed sticks will sometimes get from being stored close to the humidification device and mentioned it to them. More often than not they would just have that bewildered look on their face as they tried to right it off as plume. Fortunately I was very friendly with them and was able to explain the difference and they did in fact move those sticks to the other side of the humidor which showed me they actually listened rather than try and shrug it off and probably researched to check what I mentioned to them. It is unsettling how common the scenario in the OPs post is in the industry.