Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default That's not mold, it's plume!

Convo went something like this:

Me: "By the way, your box of Epernays seem to have some sticks with mold on them. I grabbed one that looked clean."

B&M: "it's probably plume, which is a REALLY good thing as its a sign of age. Was it white?"

Me: "Yes, splotches of white in random areas."

So they go look and confirm its plume and I shrug my shoulders and leave.

The thing is, I thought it was also suppose to coat the whole cigar. Also, I wouldn't think you would find it spreading from th cigar to the box, which appeared to be the case. It definitely looked white, but splotchy and on both cigars and inside of box.

Will plume migrate to the cedar?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: That's not mold, it's plume!

LOL. You were right, he wasn't.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Here in 2012, an Illusione Epernay would require the use of a time machine to have developed plume.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Here in 2012, an Illusione Epernay would require the use of a time machine to have developed plume.
Or the patented "Mircowave ageing!"
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

You should have kicked him in the groin and said "Sorry for kicking you in the shin!"
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Yeah . I'm not sure if they are ignorant or just lying. Either way, left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I was obviously willing to buy it either way. Oh well!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

B&M's do this all the time. It's sad but true. They even train their employees to reply "oh that's just plume".

All you can do is walk out.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

IMHO there is no need to bring it to the attention of the staff/owners. They either a) don't know it's there or b) think it's plume. In either case it shows ignorance.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
You should have kicked him in the groin and said "Sorry for kicking you in the shin!"
This post made me laugh pretty hard, Hugh. I don't know exactly why, but it did. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

A) The guy probably was wrong. It may have been mold. And he probably didn't know it.

B) You immediately assume the best thing to do is to treat this person as if they're lying, ignorant, incompetent or trained to reply "It's Plume" at which point you shrug and walk out of the store.

Yeah, it could have been plume... It could have been mold. I think either way, there's probably at least I dunno... 1 cigar... in that humidor that you could have purchased at which point perhaps you could have taken an hour or so to attempt to enlighten the employee. Not everyone is as experienced as you'd like and we were all noobs once. If all you ever do is shrug your shoulders and leave, you're not making it any better for the next guy who walks in who might not know any better. Or maybe it's just a young guy who's still learning. I just feel like this is only the 100th thread like this and many are quick to jump on the bandwagon and say the retailer was an ignorant person. Well, some day you may find yourself in want of a good retailer only to find that none exist anymore because the knowledge of the hobby was never passed along...
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I've learned at my local shop not to point it out to the owner, but to point it out to the other guy who works there. He's more knowledgable and actually cares for the stock. Best part is if it's still smoke able he gives you a discount. Mmmmmm penicillin
Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
A) The guy probably was wrong. It may have been mold. And he probably didn't know it.

B) You immediately assume the best thing to do is to treat this person as if they're lying, ignorant, incompetent or trained to reply "It's Plume" at which point you shrug and walk out of the store.

Yeah, it could have been plume... It could have been mold. I think either way, there's probably at least I dunno... 1 cigar... in that humidor that you could have purchased at which point perhaps you could have taken an hour or so to attempt to enlighten the employee. Not everyone is as experienced as you'd like and we were all noobs once. If all you ever do is shrug your shoulders and leave, you're not making it any better for the next guy who walks in who might not know any better. Or maybe it's just a young guy who's still learning. I just feel like this is only the 100th thread like this and many are quick to jump on the bandwagon and say the retailer was an ignorant person. Well, some day you may find yourself in want of a good retailer only to find that none exist anymore because the knowledge of the hobby was never passed along...
I didn't mean to sound like I didn't purchase anything. I actually bought 4 cigars (one being an Epernay from a moldy box), plus a tin of pipe tobacco. I had 3 of them actually tell me it was plume, including the manager/owner (not sure on his role other than he does the ordering).

I just wasn't sure if plume on a cigar could start creeping up the side of the box too. It seems like it would be more of a trait of mold, but honestly unsure.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
coty

A picture would be really helpful. However I think the quality of a B&M is directly related to the knowledge of the staff. How greatful I am to have a mentor (thanks Greg) and an Asylum Riddled with great info and minless wonder. I have learned more in a few months here than in years of smoking.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

I have some cigar wrappers currently not on cigars that have plume, you can clearly see on mine that it is a very fine crystallization, and does not look fuzzy.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

ive seen legit plume in a shop once. i have seen mold many times.

it is very frustrating to walk into a shop and know more about cigars than the people that work there yet they continue to push wrong information on you.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I didn't mean to sound like I didn't purchase anything. I actually bought 4 cigars (one being an Epernay from a moldy box), plus a tin of pipe tobacco. I had 3 of them actually tell me it was plume, including the manager/owner (not sure on his role other than he does the ordering).

I just wasn't sure if plume on a cigar could start creeping up the side of the box too. It seems like it would be more of a trait of mold, but honestly unsure.
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was singling you out either.

The point I was trying to make was that there are plenty of people out there who would just rather consider the employee stupid than taking the time to help. Not saying you're one of those. I guess in a way I'm just trying to stand up for retailers out there. It's not as easy as it seems.

To answer your question though, without having seen it it would be hard to cast judgement on what the white stuff was. Sounds like mold... but... always room for error. Another possibility is that which occurs when bad or very hard water is used in the humidifier rather than distilled water. It also causes a white-ish material to build on cigars and boxes.

Last edited by ninjavanish; 02-01-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Whitish? White-ish? Whiteish? I dunno.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

I have never been into a B&M that acknowledged mold. NEVER. I just don't understand.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

One local B&M to me has some cigars with a white crystal type powder in the cellophane wrappers. I'm sure it was on the cigars too I really couldn't see clearly through the cellophane though.There temp and RH are always inconsistent and waaayyyy off. Oh yea....there prices are high too.

Does this sound like plume? or maybe another byproduct of neglect?
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
I have never been into a B&M that acknowledged mold. NEVER. I just don't understand.
Exactly. They always say it's plume.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Exactly. They always say it's plume.
It really depends on the level of knowledge possessed by the staff. In a lot of instances, they simply don't know or have been instructed incorrectly by someone who doesn't know. Remember, at a number of B&M's, the staff are not as fanatical about their cigars as the members you find here.

I have seen B&M's take responsibility for moldy cigars that they weren't aware of.

I have also seen people who own extensive collections and have been smoking for years be rather proud of what they think is plume but is actually mold.

It's all about just knowing which is which.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote