Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #101
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

First Name: Keith
Trading: (3)
shibby4781 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gin Thread!

Thanks again! Ok, one last question. What cigars would pair well with a martini or gin in general?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #102
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby4781 View Post
Thanks again! Ok, one last question. What cigars would pair well with a martini or gin in general?
Haven't found one yet that didn't pair well.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #103
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Haven't found one yet that didn't pair well.
I totally agree. An ice cold martini seems to highlight rather than mask the cigar flavors I really like.

As for vermouth ... dont be afraid of it. Normally mix 3:1. It's wine and is best when it's fresh rather than some that has been sitting in an opened bottle for months. I recently discovered Lillet ... the best wine mixer for martinis I have ever tried:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7146.jpg (31.5 KB, 490 views)
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #104
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
I totally agree. An ice cold martini seems to highlight rather than mask the cigar flavors I really like.

As for vermouth ... dont be afraid of it. Normally mix 3:1. It's wine and is best when it's fresh rather than some that has been sitting in an opened bottle for months. I recently discovered Lillet ... the best wine mixer for martinis I have ever tried:
Well said, my martini loving friend.

I'm more of 4:1 or 5:1 but besides that, your post is spot on.
I need to try the Lillet. Heard good things about it.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #105
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

OK I'm hooked!

I tasted the New Amsterdam on its own and was very surprised and pleased. Very smooth with nice flavors. I did approximately the 3:1 mix. I like it a lot for my first attempt. I will definitely play around with the ratio over the next few. Thank you all for the advice & recommendations. Next venture Bloody Mary/Maria recipes but that's another thread.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #106
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
OK I'm hooked!

I tasted the New Amsterdam on its own and was very surprised and pleased. Very smooth with nice flavors. I did approximately the 3:1 mix. I like it a lot for my first attempt. I will definitely play around with the ratio over the next few. Thank you all for the advice & recommendations. Next venture Bloody Mary/Maria recipes but that's another thread.
Welcome to the fold.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #107
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
OK I'm hooked!

Another convert. Welcome to the club.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #108
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
OK I'm hooked!

Oh . . .
And don't let anyone try and tell you a martini is made with vodka. Otherwise, we'll have to revoke your martini card.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #109
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Oh . . .
And don't let anyone try and tell you a martini is made with vodka. Otherwise, we'll have to revoke your martini card.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #110
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Quote:
Oh . . .
Just wanted to add a little James Bond flavor to the mix. I shook it. I swear!. I have to say that it pairs extremely well with the My Father Le Bijou 1922 I'm smoking tonight. It's very clean versus the wine (Franzia) I usually drink while smoking.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #111
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just wanted to add a little James Bond flavor to the mix. I shook it. I swear!. I have to say that it pairs extremely well with the My Father Le Bijou 1922 I'm smoking tonight. It's very clean versus the wine (Franzia) I usually drink while smoking.
Knew you'd like it.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #112
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I was intrigued by the idea of a Martini a few years ago, I never really liked them though, they were good but didn't taste much different than gin on the rocks. The reason being that thanks to Alton Brown I was basically making cold gin with an olive in it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a website touting a classic martini, and man what a difference. Vermouth isn't some caustic chemical only to be added so that you can say you're technically not drinking a glass of stirred gin, it's an integral park of the cocktail, who knew? I had a few the other night and they just kept getting better and better.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there are only 3 types of Gin in the whole state (Not counting the big plastic Jug), Tangueray, Bombay, and Beefeater. The only Vermouth I've found is Martini & Rossi. Is there a large enough variation in Vermouth for me to go out and try to find something different, or is Martini & Rossi pretty much the standard?
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #113
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I was intrigued by the idea of a Martini a few years ago, I never really liked them though, they were good but didn't taste much different than gin on the rocks. The reason being that thanks to Alton Brown I was basically making cold gin with an olive in it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a website touting a classic martini, and man what a difference. Vermouth isn't some caustic chemical only to be added so that you can say you're technically not drinking a glass of stirred gin, it's an integral park of the cocktail, who knew? I had a few the other night and they just kept getting better and better.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there are only 3 types of Gin in the whole state (Not counting the big plastic Jug), Tangueray, Bombay, and Beefeater. The only Vermouth I've found is Martini & Rossi. Is there a large enough variation in Vermouth for me to go out and try to find something different, or is Martini & Rossi pretty much the standard?
Welcome to the dark side.

Try varying the proportions of vermouth until you find the ratio you like. You may find different gins marry well in different proportions to vermouth. Martini & Rossi is pretty much the standard. Lillet (mentioned above) is supposed to be a bit better but I have not had it before. It is on my list to try. Buy your vermouth in smaller quatities as it is a wine and will turn bad over time.

There are many great quotes about martinis. Two of my favorites:

"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough."
James Thurber

"I like to have a martini, two at the very most --After three I'm under the table, After four, I'm under my host."
Dorothy Parker
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #114
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I didn't realize the Vermouth would go bad, what's the time frame on that? If it goes as fast as regular white wine I'm pitching it out today. Hopefully it being infused and fortified will buy me more than a day or two.

As for Gin all I have on hand is Beefeater, because while I was looking at the Gin shelf it struck me as probably the most traditional, complete guess though. I kind of settled on 3:1 with the Beefeater, 5:1 tasted like pure Gin to me, 4:1 was great, 3:1 was the best. I did drink them in that order though. Might have something to do with it.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #115
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize the Vermouth would go bad, what's the time frame on that? If it goes as fast as regular white wine I'm pitching it out today. Hopefully it being infused and fortified will buy me more than a day or two.

As for Gin all I have on hand is Beefeater, because while I was looking at the Gin shelf it struck me as probably the most traditional, complete guess though. I kind of settled on 3:1 with the Beefeater, 5:1 tasted like pure Gin to me, 4:1 was great, 3:1 was the best. I did drink them in that order though. Might have something to do with it.
To the best of my knowledge, vermouth is neither infused nor fortified. Also, white wine should last more than a couple of days. I try and replace my vermouth within a couple of weeks. Refrigerate it and you should be fine but fresh is always better.

There is no correct proportion. Whatever tastes best to you.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #116
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

If you need to store the vermouth (or wine) for an extended period, just get a bottle of water, like arrowhead, sparklets, evian, etc... pour out the water, and, over the sink, pour the vermouth (or wine) into the bottle, put the cap on loosely, then start slowly crushing the bottle until the level of liquid is even with the top of the threads. Screw the cap back on and chuck it in the refrigerator. It will last much longer now that you have eliminated the air/oxygen space.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #117
Tallman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Murray
Trading: (6)
Tallman is on a distinguished road

I've always been a gin and tonic drinker...and my staple gins have always been Tanqueray and Bombay. After reading this thread, I picked up a bottle of Hendricks last night. I shall report upon my first martini very soon!
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #118
pnoon
YNWA

RA

My latest purchase. Haven't had a chance to open it up yet.

Counter Gin
"After several months of formulation we believe Counter Gin is destined to “rewrite” what a American gin can and should be. It’s named Counter for a good reason. Unlike so many heavily “Juniper” English and American dry gins, Counter is designed to “show off” the unique flavors of the many “handpicked” botanicals.

You’ll notice this immediately. The juniper berry is a “upfront” essential flavor that all gins must have but after the juniper you can actually pick out the Tarragon, Lavender, Verbena, Cucumber, and the Orange Peel.
This unique gin is a perfect “counter” to the old gins and hopefully, begins a new chapter in what a thoughtful, creative small craft distilled product can be."

Sounds intriguing to me.

Last edited by pnoon; 01-15-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: better pic
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #119
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Finally grabbed a bottle of Death's Door. Interesting stuff. Kind of citrusy.

Anybody ever had aged gin? It looks like whisky. I forgot the names of the two brands they had at the liquor store. Looks like I will need to save up some more allowance money.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #120
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee View Post
Finally grabbed a bottle of Death's Door. Interesting stuff. Kind of citrusy.

Anybody ever had aged gin? It looks like whisky. I forgot the names of the two brands they had at the liquor store. Looks like I will need to save up some more allowance money.
I think someone brought some to Shack two years ago. It tasted a lot like whiskey if that's what that stuff was.