Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Tatuaje La Casita Criolla

This is my first review back from the trade show so I'm going with a cigar that I've been looking forward to ever since Pete told me about it at Smoke Inn's Great smoke last February. The Tatuaje La Casita Criolla is a 100% broadleaf cigar made at the My Father factory in Esteli, Nicaragua. The stick comes in three sizes -- none of which top the 48 ring gauge, which is a nice departure from the trend of the big-sized cigars most companies are putting out these days. (Side note: I've actually started to turn to the dark side and like some of these beastly sized smokes, but I digress.) I had a lot of time to hang out with Pete Johnson (owner of Tatuaje) and ask him about this blend.

Quote Pete Johnson: I wanted to do something different and something that pays homage to the broadleaf cigars made in the U.S. many years ago. These stick is a lot different than anything else we have put out and I really hope it is as widely accepted as some of my more core lines are.

I want to thank Pete again for all his time he spent with me and my partners at Cigar Explorer during the crazy four days of the Vegas trade show. He is a great guy in the industry and is truly honest and face value.

Enough of that.. let's get down to what really matters.

Due to the size of this cigar, this review is only in two parts instead of the traditional thirds.

Specifics
Vitola: Corona
Length: 5 1/8
Ring Gauge: 42
Wrapper: Broadleaf
Binder: Broadleaf
Filler: Broadleaf
Price: $5.40 in full boxes of 25
Smoking Location: New Havana Cigars
Beverage: nothing

Pre-Light

The La Casita Criolla I grabbed out of one of the fresh boxes at New Havana Cigars has a beautiful dark wrapper. Dan Welsh (@NHCDan on twitter, owner of NHC) told me that there has been some difference in shades between boxes, but for the most part they are all as nice a looking as this one. The dark brown color is consistent all around the wrapper and has no blemishes. The band on this cigar is the original artwork of the old Cuban brand of cigars by the same name with a Tatuaje twist. I have to say I dig it. It's a very graphical band, but does not come off as showy or too flashy. It's different enough to stand out on the shelf, but not tacky. Well done. The pre-lit aroma screams classic broadleaf. I got a lot of the dark earthy smells, mixed with some dark berry/blackberry scent, especially at the open foot. The cold draw was nice and free and had a rich leather taste with a lot of sweetness left on my lips.

First Half

Lighting this La Casita Criolla was a breeze and the flavor started pouring out from the first puff. This was exactly what I remembered from the first La Casita Criolla I smoked at the trade show. Lots of rich creamy leather flavor on the front with a smooth, almost syrupy sweet finish. The smoke felt so thick that it's one of those cigars you will love to chew on. The part that really blew me away is just how heavy the smoke felt on my palate, yet after you exhale, within ten seconds your mouth feels clean and refreshed. I really don't care for cigars that make my mouth feel coated from top to bottom with smoke flavor the entire smoking experience. I like a little break in between puffs, and this stick delivers. The strength was in the medium range and the construction was excellent.

Second Half and Final Thoughts

The second half on my La Casita Criolla was pretty consistent with the first half (which was awesome) with just a slight change in some of the flavor. The finish was still very sweet and refreshing, but the front now not only had that rich leather flavor, but I was picking up hints of cocoa. It was a mild flavor, but added just a little bit of interest that I was not expecting. Something to note here that I didn't put in the first half is the characteristics of the ash on this stick. The ash on the broadleaf filler does NOT hold long in this size. I accidentally wore this ash twice while smoking the cigar. Make sure you are careful and knock it off at about the 1/2 inch mark. I smoked this cigar all the way until I burned my fingers. The strength never picked up and stayed right in the medium range and I never had any burn/construction issues.

My final thoughts on the Tatuaje La Casita Criolla? Ever since I got back form the show, I have been craving more and more of this cigar. If you've seen any of my IPCPR recaps on twitter or the message boards, you will already know that I called this cigar one of the top three of the show. It's not the most complex blend you will ever smoke from Tatuaje (remember this year's La Vérité) but it doesn't need to be. It's very relaxing, easy to smoke and jam packed full of flavor. An absolute winner.

Would I buy it again? This is where things get even better. The price on these guys is fantastic. If you're a Tatuaje fan but normally lean towards the Red Label line because of cost, here is another option for you in the same price range. Yes, I will buy more.

Would I buy a box? This is 100% box worthy and will be my next box purchase when they are back in stock. Dan Welsh told me he was getting more this week so check out his site if you're looking to grab some soon.

for more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/3p84jka

Dan
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tatuaje La Casita Criolla

Another fine review Dan.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the nice review, Dan!

Do you know if any details on the other two sizes have been released?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
danreeve
Feeling at Home

these are the three sizes

HCB - Corona - 5 1/8 x 42
HCBC - Corona Gorda - 5 5/8 x 46
HCBF - Short Churchill - 6 1/2 x 48

Dan (new havana) told me he should get another shipment today, and then hopefully another at the end of the week.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. I was wondering about these. Have to give them a try.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra03 View Post
Thanks for the review. I was wondering about these. Have to give them a try.
Thanks, Dan. I hope we see a lonsdale or minuto or maybe a regular Churchill vitola from this blend.

Always nice to see a new regular production blend from Pete.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

I've smoked a couple of these. Loved em. This is a fantastic cigar for the price. Ummmm that's my review...

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
danreeve
Feeling at Home

nice review!

thanks for reading guys.

Dan
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
kickerb

Still trying to find some of these, any other retailers have them. new havana just has them in a sample atm.

It seems NH is adding the new shipment to their site as we speak.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review brother. I will have to give these a try!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

I have been waiting patiently for these to come out and I can't wait to get my hands on them!!!

Thanks for the review Dan, excellent as always.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Great review Dan. Grabbed a sampler from NHC and they got in yesterday. Hope to light one up Tomorrow. Pete is really getting some great smokes out this year. I hope I like this even half as much as the Black PL.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

awesome

nice review dan
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough

So is this an American Puro?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Just got my samplers in today so I can't wait to try thm out.

Thanks for the review Dan!!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTcigars View Post
So is this an American Puro?
That's what I was wondering. Where's the broadleaf from?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

Smoking the little one now, just awesome.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
That's what I was wondering. Where's the broadleaf from?
I met a farmer while touring the My Father factory that was from Connecticut and he mentioned that he was who they were getting their broadleaf from so I would guess yes, this is an American, single-finca puro.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

nice review, heard nothing but good things about this stick, definitely at the top of my NC to buy list
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
kickerb

Go mine today, hope to smoke one in a week or so after a short nap

I will also add that these things smell AWESOME!