LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough
Default Go for the Gold....and pay the IRS

Quote:
Because conservatives are scrooges, the good folks at Americans for Tax Reform have gone through the fine print to find out what our Olympians will have to cough up to the IRS should they be lucky enough to win any medals in London.

Even by the standards of our government, the numbers are insane.

For instance: Americans who win bronze will pay a $2 tax on the medal itself. But the bronze comes with a modest prize—$10,000 as an honorarium for devoting your entire life to being the third best athlete on the planet in your chosen discipline. And the IRS will take $3,500 of that, thank you very much.

There are also prizes that accompany each medal: $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver, and $10,000 for bronze.

Silver medalists will owe $5,385. You win a gold? Timothy Geithner will be standing there with his hand out for $8,986.

So as of this writing, swimmer Missy Franklin—who's a high school student—is already on the hook for almost $14,000. By the time she's done in the pool, her tab could be much higher. (That is, unless she has to decline the prize money to placate the NCAA—the only organization in America whose nuttiness rivals the IRS.)

ATR notes that the real twist of the knife is that most other Olympians won't pay any taxes on their medals because America is one of only a handful of countries which taxes "worldwide" prize income earned overseas.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...rs_649187.html

IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go for the Gold....and pay the IRS

WTF is right. Total BS.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

that sucks
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

Wow. I didn't realize that there were cash awards for the medals won.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

They are considered honorariums. It would be nice if someone stepped up and took care of this, but these Olympic athletes aren't training and competing for money, and often are sponsored for their training costs. They do it for love of their sport.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I guess I don't understand the outrage. I'm taxed on money earned or given to me. Why not them?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I guess I don't understand the outrage. I'm taxed on money earned or given to me. Why not them?
I was thinking the same thing.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
They are considered honorariums. It would be nice if someone stepped up and took care of this, but these Olympic athletes aren't training and competing for money, and often are sponsored for their training costs. They do it for love of their sport.
I believe the IOC takes care of this for the athletes.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

If it counts as income under IRS rules, then it will be taxed as income. Note that the athletes probably pay many things out of pocket, so their schedule A or schedule C will contain possibly many valid deductions that will reduce their taxable income, etc. etc.

btw, the person who wrote the original diatribe assumed the highest tax rate in the land. If all they earned was $25K, the tax would not even be close to what is being claimed.

If you don't like it, don't blame the IRS, blame the people responsible for writing the laws that the IRS is required to follow.

just my opinion, of course.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
If it counts as income under IRS rules, then it will be taxed as income. Note that the athletes probably pay many things out of pocket, so their schedule A or schedule C will contain possibly many valid deductions that will reduce their taxable income, etc. etc.

btw, the person who wrote the original diatribe assumed the highest tax rate in the land. If all they earned was $25K, the tax would not even be close to what is being claimed.

If you don't like it, don't blame the IRS, blame the people responsible for writing the laws that the IRS is required to follow.

just my opinion, of course.
How are the winnings categorized? Is it considered earned income or prize winnings? Prize winnings is taxed higher than earned income I beleive. I'm an idiot when it comes to this subject, so anyone who knows feel free to correct me.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
How are the winnings categorized? Is it considered earned income or prize winnings? Prize winnings is taxed higher than earned income I beleive. I'm an idiot when it comes to this subject, so anyone who knows feel free to correct me.
Don't know, Andy. My accountant has never asked if I had prize winnings (I haven't), so didn't know that there was such a category in the federal code. Have you had to pay a separate federal tax on prize winnings?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Still BS any way you slice it.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Still BS any way you slice it.

They shouldn't have to pay taxes on their olympic medal winnings. Some of the athletes make nothing from competing in the olympics, and can't really have a job since they have to train year round.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/olympics.asp
Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Don't know, Andy. My accountant has never asked if I had prize winnings (I haven't), so didn't know that there was such a category in the federal code. Have you had to pay a separate federal tax on prize winnings?
I remember the IRS guy who won on Who Wants to be a Millionaire saying it was almost 50%.

I've heard from other people that prize money is taxed higher as it is a luxury. I've never won the lottery nor won on Jeopardy, so my statement is based on word of mouth alone.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think snopes is full of sh1t.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Crazy
Genetic Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
drevim
On the inside looking out

First Name: Ian
Trading: (6)
Partagas
drevim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think snopes is full of sh1t.

How about MSN/Foxsports...

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...?ocid=ansfox11

This is all over right now, so snopes doesn't have the market cornered. And lawmaker are involved with trying to get it overridden.

I have mixed feelings about it. I can't imagine the dedication to get to the point of winning a medal, so they deserve what they get. On the flip side Phelps is somewhere in the neighborhood of $400,000 in medal monies alone, not counting endorsements, not sure he shouldn't have to pay something.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I personally do not think they should get taxed on these medal awards, but I do feel it works out in the long run.

- if you win gold and parlay it into endorsement deals a couple of thousand is not going to hurt you.

- if you win gold and do not have all of the endorsements, you will be able to write off all your training expenses and get it all back at tax time. ( I believe, I could be wrong)
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote