Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough
Default Windows Vista issue need Help

Hi Guys,

I have window Vista and I have an issue logging in my account (that is also the admin account).
Heres some details
Running Windows Vista
I have two accounts, mine (also admin) and my wife.
When I am trying to log on my account with the correct password, I have the following message: Login failed by the user profile service (This is the best translation I can do since my PC is in french) and then, cannot load user profil.
When I am logged on my wife profil I cannot create any other acount or delete them as admin but I have the right to install programs with my admin password so it seems that I have partial rights.

I don't know is this is enough information but I have a lot of important data on my user profile and I need it back.
This all started when I installed yesterday a external hard drive to do backups in case this happen, still cannot believe it.

When I called HP, right of the bat they told me to format my drive and restart everything, but this is the easy way out to everything... I am pretty sure something can be done.

Let me know if you can help

Frenchie
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Windows Vista issue need Help

Have you tried using the Windows reset disk?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d15841033.mspx

From the sounds of it your wifes profile isn't an admin account otherwise you could change the password of your account.

Let me think a bit more and I will get back to you.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Ok nevermind that. I had to go check but just do this.

Log into your wife's account. Go to control panel -> User Accounts -> Change Account Type -> Provide your account password -> update wifes account to admin -> Now click Manage Another Account -> Select your account -> Use either your access or hers to manage -> Reset or Change Your Password

If you can't get past using your password to access it well their is something else wrong and I will have to do more thinking.

*Oh and a special not to everyone. You have a geeky brother, brother in law, cousin, or whatnot. When you get a computer call them and make an admin account for them with a password they will remember. Two years later when a kid or accident does something like this you have a safe admin account to do things like this from. I do this for my whole family and it makes both our lives easier.

*Yes I am the geek of the family.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Barteur
Golf is life

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Have you tried using the Windows reset disk?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d15841033.mspx

From the sounds of it your wifes profile isn't an admin account otherwise you could change the password of your account.

Let me think a bit more and I will get back to you.
From what I understand the reset disk needs to be created before you have a problem and I learned this while searching yesterday over the HP and Microsoft site to see if I could find help so I dont have it.

You are correct my wife account is not the admin account but what confuse me is that, when in her profile I try to do admin things like install a program my password works but when I am trying to do, as an admin anything related with accounts my account password does not work anymore but it seems to be recognize because I tried to enter a dummy password and got a error message. When I do my correct Password I dont get an error message but cannot pursue with the usual options for creating an account.

Thanks for trying to help me out

Frenchie
Old 08-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
nozero

Do you have system restore turned on? If so, just do a restore to one of the points before the problem began. If the first one does not do it, try an earlier point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (35.9 KB, 204 views)
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Barteur
Golf is life

Cohiba

Quote:
Ok nevermind that. I had to go check but just do this.

Log into your wife's account. Go to control panel -> User Accounts -> Change Account Type -> Provide your account password When I do this cannot it takes my password and the window close but no error message, if I try to put a password like admin I get an error message-> update wifes account to admin -> Now click Manage Another Account -> Select your account -> Use either your access or hers to manage -> Reset or Change Your Password

If you can't get past using your password to access it well their is something else wrong and I will have to do more thinking. ca,'t get pass the promtping asking for my password

*Oh and a special not to everyone. You have a geeky brother, brother in law, cousin, or whatnot. When you get a computer call them and make an admin account for them with a password they will remember. Two years later when a kid or accident does something like this you have a safe admin account to do things like this from. I do this for my whole family and it makes both our lives easier.

*Yes I am the geek of the family.
Thanks again and see the underligned part
Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I think your best bet would be to get a password resetting utility.

Go here:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

scroll down to "Password Tools"

and try one of those.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Barteur
Golf is life

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
Do you have system restore turned on? If so, just do a restore to one of the points before the problem began. If the first one does not do it, try an earlier point.
Can I do this from my wife account?
Thanks

Eric
Old 08-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
kydsid
Ditat Deus

That being the case. Hrmmm

The only thing I can think of and it should work with what you said is from your wife's account to enable the old hidden admin account.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
Old 08-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Barteur
Golf is life

Cohiba

Quote:
That being the case. Hrmmm

The only thing I can think of and it should work with what you said is from your wife's account to enable the old hidden admin account.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
When I am accessing the prompt I am being brought to the Windows/ system 32 not the c:\ as mentionned in the link you sent me. Still my password seems to be recognize but cannot move on with the following options.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteur View Post
Thanks

Eric
Right click my computer, select properties, go to the restore tab and if the option is there, it "should" work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
I think your best bet would be to get a password resetting utility.

Go here:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

scroll down to "Password Tools"

and try one of those.
An option to this is http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ - we use this at work all most daily to change or delete admin and or user passwords. It works best when you delete rather than change the password in question. This works in Win 98 through Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I've not yet tested it in Windows 7 64 bit.

If it works, I strongly suggest doing a deep scan of your PC, if your password has been compromised, you may have a key logger or other trojan present.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
When I am accessing the prompt I am being brought to the Windows/ system 32 not the c:\ as mentionned in the link you sent me. Still my password seems to be recognize but cannot move on with the following options.

type "cd.." and hit enter then repeat
Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Barteur
Golf is life

Cohiba

Quote:
Thanks

Eric
Guys thanks for all your help, Did so many things don't know what made it happen but now it works.

Thank you very much

Now backup time

Frenchie
Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
nozero

You're up and running now, that's what matters. But I'd still suggest updating your anti-virus and doing a full scan.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You can try deleting the SAM if you are not connected to a domain via WinPE or any cd/usb OS. I would copy your data off the harddrive first.