Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Ashton VSG sorcerer

The Ashton VSG series is blended by Carlos Fuente Jr. for Ashton with some 4 to 5 year old Dominican tobacco and the wrapper is grown on the Oliva estate in Ecuador where they grow this wrapper exclusively for the VSG series. The sorcerer is a 7 x 49 sized cigar with a fine construction, a beautiful dark & oily wrapper with a silky feeling to it. There is a minor barnyard aroma noticeable. The predraw gives the right amount of resistance and leaves me with a dry feeling and a hard to describe flavor in my mouth.

I taste a full coffee flavor with a mild but enjoyable bitter taste to it and after half an inch I also get some chocolate, but the mild bitter coffee is still the main flavor and the chocolate disappears quickly. After a while the flavor goes stronger and the chocolate reappears and is quite sticky, it sticks in my mouth.

The flavors are consistent, pleasant, comforting and ‘warm’. Halfway the chocolate gets stronger and the coffee loses some of its strength and slowly fades away to the background. At the 2/3rd mark something mild salty and peppery show up but disappears just as easy. At the end the pepper makes a temporary comeback.

I get a lot of smoke from this cigar, but the smoke is a bit thin. The color of the ash is quite light gray and the ash is pretty firm. The burn is great, sharp as a razor and I don’t have any complaints about the draw.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I like the Ashton VSG series a lot

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 8 / 10
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ashton VSG sorcerer

I have to say.. VSG is one of the NCs I still would smoke regularly. Thanks for the review of this particular stick!