Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Diamond Crown Maximus

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sungrown

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 20, $193.95

Grade: 9.1

Produced at Tabacalera A Fuente for JC Newman, the Diamond Crown Maximus follows the success of the regular Diamond Crown line. Production began on this line at the start of the 21st century and after three years work between Stanford Newman and Carlos Fuente, the Maximus was introduced in 2003.

Made in limited quantities, the wrapper is from the Oliva family’s El Bajo farm and is listed as Ecuadorian Ligero Oscuro Sun Grown. It is available in five sizes and is sold in boxes of 20: Double Corona (8×50, Maximus #1), Churchill (7×50, Maximus #2) Pyramid (6.625×50, Maximus #3 ), Toro (6×50, Maximus #4 ), and the Robusto (5×50, Maximus #5). The binder and filler are both Dominican, which is also where the cigar is produced.

We were sent this cigar by Cigars Direct and the review is based on one sample. You can purchase the Diamond Crown Maximus here. Now, on to the toast.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The first thing I notice on this Robusto is the band, which jumps out at you from the humidor. The Ecuadorian wrapper has a few noticeable veins but otherwise is fairly clean. The color and oils on the sungrown wrapper are very inviting, and it really hyped my anticipation of the smoke. The cigar is packed well with no soft spots. The pre-light aroma does not produce a ton of notes along the wrapper but the foot produces a nice aroma. The cold draw is full flavored with tons of spice, while the draw is tight.

Burn, 1.8:
The Robusto really opens up after lighting. The draw is good for the duration of the cigar and it produces a more than adequate amount of smoke to cover the palate. The ash does not hold as well as I thought it would but it burns even, requires no touch ups, and is a consistent white in color.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff on this smoke produces notes of strong, flavorful tobacco that is creamy but somewhat spicy at the same time. As I move through the smoke, I pick up notes of toasted nuts, sweet spice, and solid Dominican tobacco. This profile is consistent, but towards the end the spice seems to retreat to the edge of the flavor profile and the finish is a bit darker, maybe towards a light coffee.

Overall, 2.7:
The Diamond Crown Maximus is a well balanced and full flavored cigar that in my opinion is medium to full in body. At around $10.00 a stick this is not an everyday smoke for me by any stretch, but it is a great smoke and I look forward to my next one.

(Total: 9.1)